“Fine if you are travelling with your pets”

Cottage Inn by the Sea
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Fine if you are travelling with your pets”
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Spent two nights here with my husband and our dogs. Let me start with the pros. Free wifi, free parking. Always great. You are right above the beach, the landscaping is nice, and their room fee for dogs is exceptional. That's the main reason I'm giving it three stars. I don't want to indicate that it's a horrible place, it's just nothing special. The 'ocean view' rooms have a walkway in front of them, so there's definitely no peaceful privacy. The rooms themselves are just okay, too cramped, a weird shape, and needs rehabbing, though clean for pet rooms. My husband said it was one of the worst hotel beds he's slept in (I wasn't as critical, it was average for me). It would have been nice to keep the windows open with the ocean breeze, but again, the privacy thing.

The staff was a mixed bag, generally friendly, but not totally informative. We road tripped to paso for wine tasting, and they didn't have any maps or info (or the person we talked to didn't know where they were)

We didn't have the breakfast, so I can't say anything about how good or bad it is.

My only complaint with the beach is the stairs. This is not the hotel's fault, as it isn't on their property, but be aware if this is important to you. They are somewhat rickety in spots, and my husband actually slipped once. We young (okay, ish!) and fit, so if you are older or not easy on your feet, forget beach access (you can drive a mile to town and access it from the pier)

Overall, if you are traveling without pets, I would say head further north to Cambria, or try on of the other options. It's fine if you are passing through for a night with your dog.

Pismo Beach is a typical 'surf town' with requisite seediness, and some charm. Definitely do try the clam chowder at splash cafe. I'm not a clam chowder fan, and I can't stop wishing for someone to fed ex me a bowl!

1 Thank amy p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Hotel is good for a stopover but not for an extended holiday. Check-in was quick, efficient, firendly, same as check-out. Hotel has a normal size pool and hot tub which is great. rooms are comfortable and spacious. Free parking is provided and plenty of room for many cars. However, three stars on this review only because of the noise coming from the busy freeway all night long. Unless you upgrade to a seafront room it will be quite noisy too sleep, especially if you are a light sleeper. Also, no air condition in room, only a ceiling fan.
Would not stay again at this hotel and probably try other hotels in the area not facing the freeway.

1 Thank globetrotterboy
Palm Springs, CA
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I have visited Cottage Inn many times and I must write another review about the outstanding manner in which I am treated. It is so refreshing to actually have persons in the service industry that care about your needs. Fresh towels are brought promptly by staff with smiling faces and the room is immaculately kept. Repeat visitors, like me, are greeted warmly by the manager, Brett, and he makes you feel like a member of his family. Even other guests who I encountered in the breakfast dining room and my friends who accompanied me made comment to me about how cordial Brett's demeanor is and the extra effort Brett puts into assuring that guests are comfortable and happy. I could not agree with them more.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Meerle, Belgium
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Everything was perfect. Great room, breakfast was a lot to choose from. I loved the garden with the hummingbirds

Venice
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We had a great time during our stay aside from the ocean view rooms have only queen beds.
When we called to schedule another visit, we encountered Bret. He was rude and very unhelpful. A bit abrupt for someone in the service industry.
When asked if he was the Manager, he confirmed that yes he was. You would think that a Mgr. would have excellent social skills as well as the customers best interest in mind...not so for Bret.

1 Thank LisaMVDW
Yorkshire
Reviewed 10 September 2010

We stayed for 2 nights on our pacific coast highway road trip. Never heard of pismo before this trip, what a wonderful beach. The hotel was lovely; clean & welcoming with homely decor. The maid shaped the towels each day into different animals - swans on our arrival, elephants the next day with sweeties for eyes! Nice touch, thank you! Would love to come back some day.

• Stayed September 2010
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 September 2010

What a gorgeous spot! I had a one day business trip up the coast to San Luis Obispo and found "Cottage Inn by the Sea" on the internet. It looked quaint and I was able to get a great price on a room. The staff was incredible from the moment we arrived.....super friendly welcoming and extremely helpful in recommending nearby restaurants. They suggested that we upgrade to an ocean room view for an extra fee. I can't stress how much I recommend upgrading to the ocean room. Whew...the sound of the ocean waves was incredible and the view we woke up to the next morning was spectacular. The bed was one of the most comfy I've ever slept in....luxurious cotton sheets, endless pillows, a cozy duvet and a gas fireplace to keep you warm on those cool crisp evenings. It was great to have free high speed internet access from our room. The next morning we headed to the quaint breakfast room. I was pleasantly surprised by the great continental breakfast they provided. The wait staff was just as lovely, warm and sweet as the front desk staff. I really can't wait to have another excuse to return to Cottage Inn by the Sea!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business