“Sushi was Terrible”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The reason I gave the rating of poor instead of terrible is because the service was decent. I live in the area and was very dissapointed. The flavors were bland and the wasabi wasn't even hot. The best part about our meal was the free edaname that came with the meal. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone, unfortunately. Yamato is the best in town

There are newer reviews for Yanagi Sushi & Grill

Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Million dollar view of the ocean! Always fun to sit at the teppan grill and watch the chef do his magic with the food. If you can get a reservation so you can watch the sunset.

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

There is good and not so good here. The sushi is usually very good and the service is fast. But the service can be SO fast that you feel as though they are begging you to leave so they can turn the table. They provide a "birthday song" which is so loud and obnoxious that it prevents any conversation by anyone else in the entire restaurant. I usually order "to go" because I don't like the atmosphere.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We met a friend for sushi at Yanagi's in Pismo Beach while vacationing in the area. Absolutely the WORST sushi I have ever had. My boyfriend and I ordered the Special Combo which included 8 pieces of chef's choice sushi and a choice of roll--we chose the Spider Roll, normally one of my favorites at other restaurants.

Yuck. The whole thing tasted OLD, as if made up in advance and left sitting in the cooler (in fact, I noticed that it seemed to show up at our table much more quickly than I am used to it taking to prepare at other places). The rice under the fish was tough and seemed slightly dried out, and the pieces of fish just did NOT taste at all fresh. I kept eating them hoping that "the next piece" would taste ok, but was disappointed.

The roll was so bad that we didn't finish it. Again--it did not taste fresh. I am also not sure what they use in their Spider Rolls other than the crab, but it was not what I am accustomed to and was not at all tasty.

No one ever stopped back to check on our satisfaction with the meal, either.

Won't go here again, nor recommend it. When it comes to sushi
freshness is critical, and if a place doesn't get that right, they don't get my return business.

1  Thank Brigitgoddess
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have been staying at the hotel across the street and decided to walk over with a group of us and check this place out. We were delightfully surprised that it is not only a sushi place but also a hibachi grill place. The sushi I had was unreal and everyone else seemed to really enjoy their food. The staff was very friendly and our grill chef made the experience even better. I would definitely go back and will be because of the experience we had.

1  Thank Jeff K