“Just as I remembered”

George Key Ranch Historic Park
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Just as I remembered”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I fondly remember George and Hannah Key from my childhood in Placentia. As a member of the Placentia Presbyterian Church, I was privileged to know the Keys personally and to have been in their home and in their gardens.

I was happy to see the house and gardens being maintained, however saddened at the signs indicating the house had been damaged during the recent earthquake and was currently closed. I was looking forward to sharing a part of my childhood with my own young daughter while we are in Southern California. My review is based on my knowledge of what was there and the appearance of the property from outside the gate and the block wall out back.

I was reading a review on another site that commented on an old rusted out Ford on the property. The writer wondered if someone had abandoned it there. The answer is yes, Mr. Key did when he passed. I can still picture him arriving at church in it. It was his daily driver. So many fond memories. I hope the county remembers the spirit of the gift and that the home is repaired and reopened as soon as possible. It was Mr. Key's wish to preserve the history of Orange County and Placentia. When it reopened, turn your phone off and take a step back in time. You might gain a better appreciation for how easy we have it today.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Nancy C

Placentia, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Turn-of-the-century southern California farm”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Great for older children and adults who would enjoy seeing historic farm tools and a small orange grove in the city. At one time, this ranch, lovingly preserved, was out in the "country", but is now on a main arterial road in Placentia. George Key was honored when a local school was named for him, and he visited every once in a while as an elderly gentleman. Call for times when the ranch is available for tourists. The docents can suggest other homes in the close-by neighborhoods to see and get a feel for life in Placentia around 1900.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank marylibrarian
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Little-known historic treasure”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

This historic property is tucked away in a quiet corner of Placentia, hidden by walls and trees, so you can easily drive by without even noticing it. If you do have the chance to tour the place, however, you'll discover an old house full of treasures and trivia, as well as a rambling garden with orange orchard and display of antique farm implements. We have visited twice, and both times the docents who gave the tours were full of interesting stories about the history of Placentia. Only drawback is the very limited opening hours; make sure you call ahead and verify that they are open and tours are available.

Visited May 2012