“Worst customer service I've ever received”

Best Western Plus Anaheim Orange County Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Placentia
San Jose, California
“Worst customer service I've ever received”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Upon my arrival, I thought there was plenty of parking and the outside of the hotel had a nice clean appearance. The lobby also looked very clean and well kept. The front desk attendant Miranda was polite and helpful at check in but once I started walking to my room, the troubles began (see attached pictures).

Not once during the half dozen calls I made to the hotel before my arrival did anyone mention the hotel was being remodeled, nor was there anything on their website, a sign in their lobby, AND the front desk didn't say a thing. I discovered it myself while I walked down the hallway to my room (with 2 children in tow) where there were tarps on the ground, paint on the walls, sections of the wallpaper missing, room numbers written on small pieces of paper and tapped on the doors.

The remodel wasn't my issue. If I had enjoyed my stay I would have taken it as a good sign that things would be even better if I came back. My problem regarding the remodel is not being told at any point in the reservation/check in process about it. My main complain and the reason I gave a low rating lies with the General Manager Christina. I called to speak to her the morning after I checked in. I first told her my room was not the one I booked and she said it was and after checking my confirmation letter, I realized she was right and the fault was all my own for not double checking and I admitted that. She did point out I was in a remodeled room which I shouldn’t have been put in at the rate I was paying (I NEVER asked for this room at check in. I simply took the keys I was given). She did offer to downgrade me to an older room with a sofa bed, which is what I thought I was getting. Gee, thanks for offering me what was honestly a good room then take it away because your front desk screwed up.

After declining the downgrade, I started to tell her about not being notified about the remodel and being startled at discovering it on my own (again, traveling by myself with 2 young kids) she interrupted me and said, “I’ve done everything I can to accommodate you but it’s apparent to me that my hotel won’t suit your needs so here is our customer care number you can call and they can relocate you”. Done everything she could? At that point, our conversation wasn’t even 5 minutes and you’re telling me you’ve done EVERYTHING you could to help me? Each time I tried talking after that she would either interrupt me or talk over me and offer me the customer care number. I couldn’t believe it. Had I not traveled 6 hours to get there and on a tight schedule for competition, while trying to squeeze in some kind of a vacation because it’s all the time and money I’ll have this year to do so, I would have absolutely called that number and left. Instead, I had to stay because I had no other option and experienced terrible service each time I made a housekeeping request, 9/10 were never fulfilled. The only good customer service I found was with the ladies who served breakfast.

I made sure to take that number she so graciously gave and called them when I got home. I wasn’t looking for a refund or free stuff. I wanted an apology. Did I get it? Nope. When I called back 2 weeks later to check on the status of my report, they said it was closed (which I was NEVER notified of) and I should have received a refund. I informed the gentlemen that I didn’t receive a refund, nor was I looking for one. I wanted an apology. I received a call back from the customer care a couple days later and he said that the refund note was actually meant for a different case and that the hotel wasn’t going to apologize. I’m not mad at the customer care or anyone else at Best Western because it wasn’t their fault. I received terrible service by the extremely rude General Manager Christina and the blame lies with her.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank LoverOfReading
BWH0TEL, General Manager at Best Western Plus Anaheim Orange County Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay. Moreover, thank you for contacting our Customer Care experts; as agreed, remuneration is a tangible apology and a step forward and closer to meeting your expectations.
We encourage all of our guests to make reservations and receiving a confirmation letter to prevent any errors, our front desk agents are always on stand by to assist with reservations, questions and changes you may request. We recommend to secure the room type and amenities more important to you, by visiting our Best Western Brand Website for specific services; You will find options to our different room types and special discount meeting every budget and keeping essential services.
Guests have responded extraordinarily to some of the offers reserved via partner websites. Once again, thank you for your patronage and thank you for giving us the opportunity of welcoming you back to our Best Western Branded Hotels.

Best Western PLUS Anaheim Orange County Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Great location, quiet hotel, great breakfast. Didn't use the pool or fitness room. easy freeway access. friendly staff. stayed in a room with 2 kings and sofa with lots of room. air conditioning worked well, and not too noisy.

1 Thank Sandy32849
Thank you for taking the time to participate with your experience at our hotel. We look forward to welcome you soon and invite you to contact us to make reservations.
Our heated pool, on site restaurant and ample free parking are some of the reasons to take an trip to Disney.
Thank you and look forward to welcoming you soon.

Sincerely
Best Western PLUS Anaheim Orange County Hote
colorado
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband asked for a quieter room, if possible on the upper (of the two) level; the desk clerk said "not for the price you paid" and assigned the room closest to the desk, with maximum foot traffic and noise.
Beware! This hotel's policy seems to be to discriminate against those who paid less through 3rd party sites such as Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, and Booking.com. For that reason, the lack of customer service and response, it is poor.
In addition, it is a bit run down.
Breakfast was a plus; didn't use any facilities such as work out or pool. Location is good for highway access.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay.
Our third party partners work ardously to inform in detail about the amenities offered; however if plans have changed after completing reservations, our customers have the option to upgrade to larger rooms or with more amenities. We offer options of upgrade to accommodate your comfort in mind.
We encourage all of our guests to make reservations on our third party partner portals to take advantage to some internet packages and great deals. We recommend to secure the room type and amenities more important to you, by visiting our Best Western Brand Website for specific services; You will find options to our different room types and special discount meeting every budget and keeping essential services.

Yorba Linda, CA, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Handicap room reserved for person with one leg. Shower seat slippery. Adjustable shower head was broken at the lower position rendering it useless. Shower drain did not work thereby flooding the ENTIRE bathroom floor causing very unsafe condition. Guest had to use towels to mop the entire floor. Guest had to mop bathroom floor everyday with the towels. The hotel also provided extra towels for guest to use as barrier to keep water out of the bathroom. The shower curtain was too short and did not reach the floor thereby profviding no benefit. Guest requested a room change the next morning and was denied citing hotel was full. On Saturday, the room was not cleaned and towels were not replaced and all the towels had been used to mop the floor. Hotel claimed "Do Not Disturb" was on door although it was never posted. Again a replacement room was requested and denied, even to the point quibbling over a $30 room rate difference. But wait, it gets worse. I did not appreciate the "manager" rudeness in hearing our complaints. These conditions were pointed out to hotel staff several times during the stay with no action taken. Until now we have been treated well by Best Western but this visit made me want to go outside and check the sign to be sure I was really at Best Western. VERY UNHAPPY and offended at the treatment and consideration we received at Placentia location. This room is extremely unsafe for a fully able person. The slope of the floor is incorrect, the drain is too slow and the flow rate at the shower head is too fast for the drain to accomodate the volume of water. What really offends me is the lack of action when serious conditions were brought to the attention of staff.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your choosing our property during your visit to the area. Please accept our sincerest apologies to any inconveniences you encountered during your stay. It is important that we met your expectations and that the area of concern is detailed on your feedback.
These specific comments are extremely useful when enhancing our services and keeping our amenities in full working order. Your concern and generous feedback provides us with opportunities to make our facilities a safe and secure environment for all of our guests. Our chief engineer and entire staff is conducting an assessment to determine a the steps to follow. If you have additional comments or questions, please contact me directly at the hotel local phone number listed on your invoice.

Once again, Thank you!

Best Western PLUS Anaheim Orange County Hotel
arizona
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great Staff, great lobby, Hotel is being remodeled, therefore it was dirty from construction dusts, etc..Ski the breakfast, it was terrible. There's a Denny's out in front. Great room and bed. No water pressure in the shower.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By sharing your experience and what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, the hotel is being enhanced and although it is not fully in construction; we trust that the upgrades will make a difference to your upcoming stay.
Your experience and participation on this portal is helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

We look forward to welcoming you again!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This would be a good choice if you don't mind a short drive to the Disney parks (15 minutes). The location is quieter but still in a good neighborhood , which suited us fine. Its also a hotel rather than an inn/motel, contrary to some of the hotels nearer to the parks. A minor distinction, but we find hotels much better in general for family use. A lot of families using the hotel, plus some business travelers. Facilities are good, but our room was starting to show its age in small ways. Nothing that was dangerous or bothersome though. Would definitely stay there again.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your participation. Our Hospitality Promise has been extended to all the areas of our services promised to our clients. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Our property continues to improve and customer service development still on the works. Please visit us again very soon.

OCEANSIDE, United States
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was looking for a room that was close to work and the 'Right Price" to spend the night. I work during the week in Fullerton and needed a place to be able to continue to work into the evening. Great room for a "2nd office". Nice area for an evening walk to relax and the pool was warm enough to get some exercise. Centrally located in North Orange County with EASY access to a lot of major Freeways to get around the Los Angeles/Orange area. This looks like I will be spending A LOT of time here. Staff, Very helpful and It's ALWAYS nice to to come back to a clean straighten up room. I have already booked the next couple of weeks to for my Business Home away from Home.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BW-H0TEL, General Manager at Best Western Plus Anaheim Orange County Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
We are privileged in receiving a variety of comments and suggestions. As a team, our goal is to utilize each response to map our actions to development. All responses are valued and considered a benchmark with real time and genuine support to our hotel.
This acknowledgement motivates us to keeping our Hospitality Promise we commit ourselves each day. To make it right!

Thank you and look forward to your prompt return.

Christina L.
Best Western Plus Anaheim Orange County
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placentia
Quality Inn Placentia - Anaheim
The Hotel Fullerton
The Hotel Fullerton
#1 of 11 in Fullerton
Fullerton Marriott at California State University
Residence Inn Anaheim Placentia/Fullerton
Best Western Plus Meridian Inn & Suites, Anaheim-Orange
Embassy Suites by Hilton Anaheim North

Been to Best Western Plus Anaheim Orange County Hotel? Share your experiences!