“Below Expectations for Marriott”

Courtyard Pleasant Hill
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Pleasant Hill
Reviewed 2 September 2013

As mentioned in earlier reviews there is a staff member at the front desk that is less than inviting. I stayed the middle weekend in August (16-18), the first night on a points voucher and the second night as a paying customer. I left the room the morning of the 17th at about 11 AM. When I returned at 4 PM the room had not been serviced at all, even though I had "checked out" and "checked back in" as instructed because of one night being on a voucher. I called the front desk and asked if housekeeping had gone home yet. The desk told me, "They are about to. What is the problem?" I explained that my room had not been serviced and I would at least appreciate fresh towels. I was told that I would receive a call back within 10 minutes.

At 4:30 PM after not receiving a call I took my dirty towels to the lobby for exchange because I had a 5 PM dinner meeting I was obligated to attend. The expression on the desk clerks face indicated that this was inappropriate. I explained that I had called half an hour before asking for fresh towels, had not received a response, and needed to leave for a meeting. She responded by saying, "I sent housekeeping up to your room." I told her that they had not showed up and, mid sentence as I was starting to explain all I wanted was an exchange of towels, she interrupted me and said in a haughty tone, "Well, what do you want me to do!" Not wanting to upset other guests in the lobby nor cause a scene, I retreated to my room with my dirty laundry.

As I was getting in the elevator there was a housekeeping team coming out of the elevator who did service the room in my absence that evening.

If you choose to stay in this hotel and you are a light sleeper as I am, request a north facing room. I was originally placed in a south facing room which border surface street having a freeway off ramp just east of the hotel and a major intersection just west of the hotel. Juan, who checked me in, was very helpful and accommodating in my request to relocate to the north side of the building.

It also seemed a little odd that a coupon was given for one cup of tall coffee at their bistro for a two person room. Nice thought, but I would offer two coupons or none if I were management. Just a thought.

Also as mentioned the rooms have been redone. They have done a good job with a property that is not the newest in town. Their prices were commensurate with the property and location in comparison to other chains of similar quality. Some have mentioned they do not like the redone lobby. To me that is a matter of preference. I found it to be okay, with two different rooms in which you can sit and work, as well as a surprising amount of various books and reading material.

Room Tip: Ask for a north facing room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
OAKCP, General Manager at Courtyard Pleasant Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete a response regarding your most recent stay. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations as we always strive to provide excellent customer service. Please contact myself or any leadership team member on property to discuss your stay and our products & services.

We definitely want to keep you as a loyal Courtyard by Marriott member.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

This property has an attractive, updated lobby. We were greeted warmly at the front desk. Our room was fine, typical Marriott, and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom, however, was a real problem. There was one sink with no counter space right outside the door where the shower and toilet were. There was absolutely no place to put any of my personal toiletries, so they ended up on the floor of the closet, which was directly behind the sink. To add to this, the bathroom door swung out, so when someone came out of the bathroom, the person at the sink had to move. It was very crowded and uncomfortable, though the rest of the room was spacious.

The area around the hotel is congested and there was noise from the traffic, though ear plugs blocked it. Parking was very easy. Overall, it was an o.k. stay, but not great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
OAKCP, General Manager at Courtyard Pleasant Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond regarding your most recent stay. It is always good to hear the positive and negative comments as my team reviews them regularly to enhance our services and amenities.

I will definitely bring your comments regarding the bathroom size and layout to our project and design team for our next renovation.

Again, thank you for your comments and I do hope to see you at our hotel in the near future should you ever return back to the area.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Parking seemed adequate and we immediately noticed a Boston Market right next door - a good thing!! Check in went decent enough but the welcome wasn’t very warm. There were no luggage carts available and the staff said they looked in the hallways but couldn't find any so guests must be keeping them in their rooms. About an hour later I went to get ice and found a cart tucked in a short hall leading to a room at the end of a hall when I went to get ice - obviously the hotel staff who looked for the carts just stood in the hallway and looked both ways instead of looking in all the areas large enough for a cart to be hidden from view.
The room we had was an “executive” king as it had a balcony but the room itself was very small. There was about 14” of space between one side of the bed and the wall and a sofa that was at the foot of the bed. We pushed the sofa toward the window to provide a little bit more walking space and so my husband wouldn't bang his knees. There was no place to set suitcases in the room except on the floor in front of the balcony window (unless you used the closet). The bedding was very light - I usually prefer a comforter. I liked the fact that the sink was separated from the bathtub and toilet but didn’t lie the lack of counter space around the sink. All in all I felt very cramped in this room. Finally I am disappointed that Marriott decided to do away with free coffee in the lobby. I know I can make some in my room but it is difficult as you have to struggle opening condiment packages (and powder for coffee just isn’t as good as half and half). Anyway, we now have to opportunity to buy coffee in the lobby. I probably won’t stay here again but it is just because the room was too small for two people.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
OAKCP, General Manager at Courtyard Pleasant Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond regarding your most recent stay. In reviewing your response, it looks as if you had several issues during your stay from lack of finding a luggage cart, to size of our guest rooms, to no place to store bags in room and finally our new Courtyard Standard that sells Starbuck Coffee in our Bistro. Although I would like to address all issues on the internet, I would love to speak with you in person to resolve your concerns.
Please call me at your earliest convenience so I may discuss your needs and our services.
I do apologize that we were unable to meet your needs or expectations. As Courtyard and my team strive to please all guests that walk in the door.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to speaking with you. I can be reached at 925 691 1444 ext. 601.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We were on our family vacation and were booked at this property for three nights. Checking in we were greeted by very possibly the BEST desk clerk in the hotel world Juan Ruiz. This guy was dressed the part in his suit and tie and was the most helpful person I've ever run across in all my travels world wide. We told him we wanted to see the fireworks from the pier in San Francisco and he told exactly how to go about it. The public transportation system BART was on strike but that didn't stop Juan, he got us where we needed to be.

The room was super clean, he sent us up a small fridge to keep our 'sweet tea' nice and cold and the stay was perfect. He even helped me find a doughnut shop as well as an auto parts store that I needed.
You can't go wrong with this property so book it now.
And for any high level Marriott executives out there reading this, you need to promote Juan Ruiz!

Room Tip: Book this property today!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
OAKCP, General Manager at Courtyard Pleasant Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

I was extremely pleased when I read your comments. It made me proud to know my associate Juan went out of his way to make your stay more enjoyable. This is what we are here for...(SMILE)...

I will definitely share your comments with Juan and the entire team...

Thank you again for staying with us during the 4th of July weekend and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Have a great 2013 and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 14 July 2013

The Courtyard in Pleasant Hill is what you would expect - a clean, comfortable place, with a fairly good size room. Staff was friendly. The Wifi worked well. A couple of drawbacks - the pool is a bit small and they do not have a free breakfast, opting instead for a bistro - at cost, of course. It was fine for us, especially as a "travel through" place, offering a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
OAKCP, General Manager at Courtyard Pleasant Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Thank you for the kind comments regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. We do our best to ensure every guests stay is comfortable and enjoyable.

Should you ever return back to the area, I do hope you consider the Pleasant Hill Courtyard as your home away from home.

I will share your comments with my entire team as we always use our guest comments for learning and enhancements.

Thank You!!!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

this trip they still have breakfast but you have to pay for it. used to be a nice breakfast was included for $109. still the same quiet hotel with nice people. Very clean with good beds. Might look elsewhere next time for an included breakfast

Room Tip: We like 4th floor facing the parking lot
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
OAKCP, General Manager at Courtyard Pleasant Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond regarding your most recent stay with us. Your comments are greatly appreciated and we always use them as tools for enhancing our guest stay. I noticed you mentioned we no longer have breakfast included in our rates. Pleasant Hill Courtyard actually does still offer a "STAY FOR BREAKFAST" rate during the weekend and weekday. When booking reservations, please look for the Stay for Breakfast rate under Marriott packages. If you have problems finding this package online please call the property direct and would be happy to assist in booking that rate for you.

Thank You again for your comments and I look forward to having you stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Like another reviewer mentioned, the lady at desk was not rude, but didn't seem all that concerned with going to any extra trouble. Went down for the coffee in lobby which is normally a big convenience at this chain, and the desk clerk told me that I could buy it in their Starbucks or make it in my room. No apologies for not having the complimentary coffee. Perhaps she does not know that other hotels in the chain offer it. Too bad because the hotel is very clean and updated. It is also near shopping and dining. Yes, I know that a small thing like coffee should not color my feelings, but the lack of caffeine had me dwelling on the annoyance of the thin walls and ceilings as I rode empty handed back to my room to get money.

Room Tip: Would advise top floor to ensure quiet
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
OAKCP, General Manager at Courtyard Pleasant Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time out to respond regarding your stay. Thank you for mentioning our front desk agent was not rude. But I am sorry to hear you felt she was just uninterested. I will definitely share your comments with our front desk team so we can learn from this.
We do apologize about no longer offering complimentary coffee in our lobby as Courtyard hotels are now moving away from this option as we now service Starbucks in our Bistro. Complimentary coffee is unlimited and available in your guest room at all times. Should you return to the area please allow us to provide you with added packs in your guest room.
You will find that Starbucks is a delicious way to start your mornings….
We do hope to see you back and at that time please locate me as I would love to speak to you more about your stay. Or you can contact me at the hotel 925 691 1444.
Thank you again for staying with us…and I do hope to see you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pleasant Hill
Embassy Suites by Hilton Walnut Creek
Crowne Plaza Concord
Crowne Plaza Concord
#4 of 8 in Concord

Been to Courtyard Pleasant Hill? Share your experiences!