“I wanted to like this place.”

Redcoats British Pub and Restaurant
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We were visiting relatives in Livermore at the end of a tour up the California coast before heading home to Las Vegas, so, having British heritage, we thought it might be nice to come here to the Redcoats in nearby Pleasanton for dinner and a drink on our last evening.

I’m sorry to say the evening was not a great occasion.

First of all, (and this was our own fault) we happened to go there on the night they have the Brainstormer Quiz, and consequently the place was full and the service extremely slow. They did eventually take our order – we were upstairs because of the Quiz- but waited another age before we got the food, but only the main course arrived.

When we asked where the two appetizers were, we were met with a blank look…no explanation or apology. The waitress did eventually say she would bring us a large bread pudding desert by way of compensation! We were so hungry by this time we just said OK, and ate what she had brought us.

If the food had been good when it eventually got to us, all would have been soon forgotten, but it was mediocre at best and verging on the awful. The fish in my Fish & Chips was not bad, but the batter was soggy and inedible. My wife’s sausage was bland and tasteless and the food on both of our plates was little more than warm when we got it. I won’t speak of the food my son and his wife were served, that is for them to say, but I never heard either of them say they enjoyed it
This food is not “cooked” here, it is commercial stuff, brought in and warmed up here. When I came to the US over thirty years ago, British pub food was just moving away from the awful and limited fare it was justifiably known for, and now a wide choice of fine food can be found in pubs all over Britain. What we have here at the Redcoat harks back to days in Britain when there were no American style burger joints, just unimaginative old fashioned unhealthy “traditional” dishes. It seems we have traded the worst of each of our dining habits, and none of the better ones.

The beer selection was OK, and the price was not bad, but just standard Keg Beer, the same as can be had now all over the world now…not just in British Pubs.

It is a huge exaggeration to describe this lively establishment as a “rather posh pub,” as it does on its web site, it’s more a caricature of many of the things found in many different types of British pubs, and it fails to excel in most of them.

Oh, before I forget, one small serving of bread pudding did arrive at our table… the charge for it was on the check! No argument, we just paid our bill and were pleased to get out of there.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Nice pub atmosphere, and much nicer than the Main Street Brewery. Food is great here and the staff has a great attitude.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Friendy, nice outdoor area where dogs are acceptable. Good food, selection of brews, as well as good wine. Fish & chips and grilled icelandic cod are delicious, prices are right. Also bangers & mash , and shepherds pie. Happpy hour calimari is great as are fish tacos and the very spicy chili fries.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

I agree with the other reviewer who said the beer is good. The food is lousy. The owner's son is a great guy who tends bar. He does make a difference.

Reviewed 30 November 2011

Food, Service, Prices... Try it Owner is often available on-site.