“Poor Customer Service”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I booked Hyatt House Pleasanton through Expedia on Friday for business stay that Sunday night. After finding out Sunday morning that my meeting had moved to San Jose, I immediately called the hotel to ask to change my reservation to Hyatt House San Jose/Silicon Valley. I was told they couldn't do anything for me and that I should call Expedia. I called Expedia, who promptly booked me and said they would have to speak with the local manager, but that there might be a fee. I was a little surprised because it was, after all, the same hotel, and there were plenty of rooms available on a Sunday night. But OK, a fee is somewhat understandable for the administrative pain my changes caused.

Well, imagine my annoyance when Expedia, after two conversations with the local manager, told me the hotel refused to refund a single cent of my reservation. Taxes, Fees, the entire cost was refused. Maybe I am expecting too much of a hotel to look at the circumstances before applying a cancellation policy. I cost your hotel $0.00 AND booked another Hyatt House that very same night. Where is the incentive to stay loyal to the Hyatt House brand in a very competitive business traveller market?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Brad G
Marlene F, General Manager at Hyatt House Pleasanton, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you for your response. In the future, when you book through Expedia, please contact me directly so that I may asisst you. I, myself, never received a call from Expedia asking us to cancel the reservation and not charge you and I have spoken to our Assistant General Manager and our Front Office Supervisor - the only other two people who would have been able to approve this - and they never received a call either. I will follow up with Expedia and ask that they credit your account right away since you were able to stay at one of our sister properties instead.

Unfortunately, with third party bookings, cancellations can be difficult. It is always best to book directly on Hyatt.com which is a pre-paid, non refundable rate that matches any rate you will find on third party sites such as Expedia. We have more control over refunds with the Hyatt.com rates since they are booked directly with us and in cases of emergencies or something such as yours, we would be happy to assist you.

I hope that you will have an opportunity to stay with us in Pleasanton and trust that your stay in San Jose was enjoyable.

Marlene

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
Sonora, California
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Although there is no elevator in this 3 story facility, the rooms (suites) are really very nice. We stayed one night, and I would definitely go back there. The suites are obviously set up for longer term stays, actually looking like a very nice one bedroom apartment. The kitchens are complete, down to utensils, plates, glasses etc. Full size refrigerator - microwave - stove/oven - I would have loved a place like this when I was a college student! So complete.
The staff was very polite - there is an "H Bar" in the same area where the complimentary breakfast is served, and it was well attended by guests the evening we arrived. The breakfast is very well done - you can get a customized omelet, or any number of other items that you often don't see in a breakfast area.
The only down side was that the cold air return in the living room kind of whistled (sounded like a truck back-up alarm was outside some distance away) and it woke me up a few times. I did leave a note to suggest they check it out. Other than that it was a very nice stay.
Very pleased with the price - there are discounts available, and it seems they might be willing to reduce rate when they have vacancies. I think they are geared to longer term stays, like for a business person who has to be in the area for a while.

Room Tip: We chose the third floor - didn't want anyone above us - worked well, and the stairs are not bad...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Marlene F, General Manager at Hyatt House Pleasanton, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback on your stay with us! I'm so glad you found our hotel to be comfortable and enjoyed the quiet of your 3rd floor room. I'm glad you enjoyed our cooked to order omelet station that we recently added to our full hot complimentary breakfast too! We have received great feedback on thsi new addition.

Thank you for letting us know about the air return in your room as well - we had one of our Maintenance staff fix it immediately after hearing from you. Thank you for helping us keep our property up to the standards our Guests have come to expect from us!

Thank you again for your comments and please feel free to contact me directly at (925)730-0070 ext 505 if you should need anything in the future.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 18 December 2013

First hotel I've ever stayed in the US and our hosts made a good choice with this. We were visiting San Francisco (drove from Dana Point) and stayed here for two nights. Party of six, we had a nice two bedroom room with a large living room. Excellent breakfast and friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank liljis
Thank you so much for your response and for staying with us! I'm so glad you were able to stop and enjoy our hotel and the Pleasanton area for a couple days during your trip to the U.S.! I'm also glad that you found our staff friendly and accomodating as we pride ourselves on our great customer service!

I hope the rest of your travels were pleasant and hope to see you back in Pleasanton in the future!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

My family and I stayed here for two nights and it was very enjoyable.
The hotel was very clean and the staff was very friendly and accommodating.
The complimentary breakfasts were pretty decent. Above average compared to other hotels I've stayed at, but not "amazing". It was good and free.
They have a little bar area where you can get a beer and also Starbucks coffee, which is nice to have.
It is right off of the main highway(580); easily accessible; The pool was nice too.
Overall, I would highly recommend it and stay here anytime I visit the Pleasanton area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Marlene F, General Manager at Hyatt House Pleasanton, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback on your stay with us! I'm so glad you enjoyed your time as our Guest and were able to enjoy some of the great amenities we offer. I wanted to let you know that since your stay with us we have upgraded our complimentary breakfast buffet to include a cooked to order omelet station! I hope that if your travels bring you back to the Pleasanton area that you will stay with us again and have an opportunity to experience our new offerings at breakfast.

Thank you again for your comments and please feel free to contact me directly at (925)730-0070 ext 505 if you should need anything.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I spend 4 - 6 weeks a year at this hotel. Although there is another option at a more convenient location I always chose the Hyatt House in Pleasanton.

Staff: always friendly and helpful

Rooms: spacious with a full kitchen. Full size fridge, range, microwave, dishwasher, and of course dishes. If I am staying for more than a week I like to cook some of my own meals, and you can certainly do that here. Remodeled showers are very nice. It is really a one or two bedroom apartment. There is a TV with a DVD player in the living room and another TV in the bedroom.

Pool / outdoor space: great pool and hot tub. Landscaping is really well done. They've recently added an outdoor fire place with couches, and there is a gas grill. There is also a basketball court. It is all very well maintained

Common areas: also recently upgraded. Laundry facility is good for longer trips. Breakfast is fairly standard for this type of place, with hot and cold options.

While I am usually there for business I have had the kids along and they loved it. The two bedroom more than adequately housed our family of five.

I'll note that I am a believe of rating hotels relative to category / expectation. This isn't a five star hotel...it's not the Mandarin Oriental...and you shouldn't expect it to be. For the type of place this is I don't think it can be beat.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms on the first floor, they can be noisier.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Marlene F, General Manager at Hyatt House Pleasanton, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for your great feedback on our hotel! I'm so happy that you enjoy your time with us and have been able to experience our hotel from both the business travel perspective and the family side. I am also happy to hear that you are enjoying our new outdoor fire pit with soft seating. We recently opened our cooked to order omelet station with our complimentary breakfast buffet so I hope that you will have an opportunity to return soon to enjoy that as well!

Thank you again and please feel free to reach out to me directly at (925)730-0070 ext 505 if you should ever need anything.

Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 2 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Stayed here for my friend's wedding. The rooms were very nice and well appointed, although I did not get to use any of the amenities since I just slept here after the wedding and checked out in the morning.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay with us! I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope that you will be able to return in the future and try out more of the many great amenities we offer!

Thanks again and please let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

We booked a two bedroom since we were 2 families. The hotel is slightly showing its age. Our suite was on top floor and there are no elevators so carrying suitcases and kids can be challenging. The suit had kitchen and fridge and everything one may need. The staff were very friendly and the hotel location is a short cab ride to Bart station which makes it easy to go to San Francisco. Breakfast was standard fare, good enough. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Marlene F, General Manager at Hyatt House Pleasanton, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I'm so glad you were able to utilize our two bedroom/two bath suite for you and the other family you were traveling with. We just completed a full public space renovation in June of 2013 and all of our rooms were completely re-done in May of 2012 so I am so glad you were able to enjoy the renovation as well as the many new amenities we have added.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Marlene
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pleasanton
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pleasanton at the Club
Residence Inn Pleasanton
#5 of 14 in Pleasanton
Best Western Plus Pleasanton Inn
Hyatt Place Dublin/Pleasanton

Been to Hyatt House Pleasanton? Share your experiences!