All reviews downtown pleasanton turn down service french press boutique hotel main street jacuzzi tub large shower continental breakfast covered parking romantic weekend beautiful hotel wine country every amenity mini bar bagels livermore valley rooms are huge
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We have always wanted to stay at the Rose Hotel when visiting family. This last trip we found a room available and booked it. The lobby is very inviting with easy off street parking. The room was large but they put the entertainment cabinet in front of the windows which seemed odd. Looking out the window which was still accessible may have explained their decision, it looked into a parking lot and wasn't much of a view. Also it was close to a railroad crossing and I could hear the train whistles as they approached. Bed was nice and otherwise room was well appointed with large bathroom.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe C
tom w, Director of Sales at The Rose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Thanks for taking the time to post a review which we believe is informative for both our guests and our staff. It would appear that the major culprit was also a major benefit, i.e. a downtown location. Having decided that downtown Pleasanton could benefit from a boutique style hotel, the owners selected the only available location which borders the adjacent parking lot and is close to the railroad tracks (side note - the route through Pleasanton is historic in that it was the final link in the transcontinental railroad). Hopefully the benefits outweigh the disadvantages and that you will stay with us on your next visit to Pleasanton.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

For years my husband and I have stayed at the Rose Hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This year we did again, and were happy with the beautiful room. The room and hotel, for that matter, haven't changed a bit since our very first visit years ago. The hotel is beginning to show a little aging but we still enjoy it very much. I don't know if because I'm older now I noticed it more than previously, but it seemed louder than I remember but our window faced the busy, downtown streets. There was also a very loud dog barking a lot of the night from somewhere in the neighboring homes but that's beyond the hotel's control. My only complaint is the very uncomfortable, small, squishy pillows. If I had a more comfy pillow, my night's rest wouldn't have been so restless due to the noise. The beautiful marble bathroom with it's large jacuzzi tub and shower was like a dream. The free breakfast the following morning was well appointed with smoked salmon, yogurts, danish, an abundance of fresh fruit, oatmeals, yummy coffee, etc. The best hotel breakfast provided to guests free of charge that I've seen.

Overall, I think you would love your stay. It's the perfect location for a night out with your special person! Just bring your own pillow because the large bed is very comfortable.

Room Tip: To help with the street noise, request a room facing the parking lot. However, you won't be able to sit by the window and people watch which is part of the fun. It's a trade-off, you could just bring your own pillow (since there's are uncomfortable) if you face the street and enjoy the large comfortable bed and enjoy the wonderful street noises.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
tom w, Director of Sales at The Rose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write an extensive review and share your thoughts with other guests and our staff. I would like to address your specific comments as follows.

Hotel showing a little aging...patina?? We agree and a minor renovation program is in process, i.e. reupholstering the overstuffed chairs and new pillows in the guest rooms, painting in the public areas, replacing bathrooms sink drain stoppers, etc. In addition, our maintenance and housekeeping staffs repair minor damage on a daily basis.

Noise level...should be about the same except for the barking dog...guess that is a trade off for the absence of freeway noise, just kidding. On your next visit request a room overlooking the parking lot next door. Then, to do your people watching, go out on the second floor balcony which overlooks Main Street. It is set up with a table and chairs so you could relax with a drink and watch the crowd go by.

Pillows...the newly replaced pillows are down filled with four per bed. Larger, foam filled pillows are available on request to the front desk.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon. Regards, Tom

Reviewed 6 April 2013

This hotel is a pleasure to stay in, it is beautiful and the rooms are well appointed. The rooms are quite and spacious and the beds are comfortable. The only things I didn't care for were the small pillows on a king sized bed and the shower head.

Room Tip: Top floor away from the elevator
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
tom w, Director of Sales at The Rose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. There are a couple of solutions to the issue of pillow size...extra down fulled pillows are available as well as larger, foam pillows...both are available by calling the front desk. Not too sure about the shower head...it may be mounted too high on the wall as they are a foot above the standard height to suit some of the professional athletes that stay here. We would like to know more about it so it can be fixed. Thanks for the comments.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

I felt like I had stepped out of the world for a few days whilst staying at The Rose. What a delightful experience it was from start to finish! All the staff were so friendly and accommodating which made my husband and I feel right at home. The rooms are very nicely furnished, the bathroom and the lighting so appropriate. There are many little extras here which make you feel special. The breakfasts were delicious and just the right type of food we would want to eat. There is always a candle burning downstairs so there is this wonderful fragrance all the time plus cookies, tea, coffee and other goodies. If we go to Pleasanton again our first stop will be The Rose. Thank you to all the staff for making your hotel a home away from home!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
tom w, Director of Sales at The Rose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

The service you experienced is a reflection of the attitude our staff members have toward their work. They enjoy meeting our guests needs and wants and work together as a team to deliver them. The owner can provide an elegant facility but the staff brings it to life. Hope you will come back soon. Regards, Tom

Reviewed 23 February 2013

What have you done to my Rose??

For years, a small group of us, dubbed "The Rose Girls" met in the lobby bar every Friday afternoon for wine, gossip and laughs. We looked forward to Friday's happy hour. We've been through marriages, divorces, boyfriends, break ups, cancer, death and more. If those walls could talk ...

Something has changed. I don't know if there was an ownership change, or management change, but someone stuck a big fat stick straight up the stem of our Rose. Front desk staff if snarky. Bartender is nice.

The management has cast such an ugly pallor over the place, it's no surprise we were the only ones in the bar last night. And that's just for us bar patrons.

The Yelp reviews from guests are poor. In the last year:
6 reviews (7 if you count the obviously fake one)
3 - one star
1 - two star
1 - each 4 & 5 star
That's 4 out of 6 that are sub par. The complaints range from value (it's expensive) to cleanliness.

It's cute, but not worth the money. The problem is, it's the only place in the cute downtown area. But, I recommend save the money from the room, stay at the Four Points and cab in.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Brandie Y
tom w, Director of Sales at The Rose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thank you for your comments as they enable me to clarify a point about our property. Our primary business is providing a unique and enjoyable experience to our in-house guests. Part of that experience is a lobby with a small bar that offers our guests a comfortable, secure, quiet place for relaxation, conversation, and, if they wish, a cocktail. Any activities that infringe on that setting are discouraged. If a larger group requires more space, there are numerous bars and restaurants nearby that have suitable accommodations. For information, the ownership and management have not changed since the hotel opened in 2001. Best, Tom