“I agree - Pricey and underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Stacey's Cafe - CLOSED

Stacey's Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Pleasanton, CA
“I agree - Pricey and underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We've gone to this restaurant for years, but the past few times I've been underwhelmed. The food is good, but nothing special considering what they charge. When Stacey ran it at least they played decent music, but now they're playing cliché 70's music that just makes you smirk and cringe at the same time. Tough sell. Heck, they didn't even get my order right.

• Visited May 2013

Ossining, New York
“Great Menu, Great Food, Nice Outside Spaces”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We had excellent meals and service there last night. I like the wide menu--I had trouble deciding. The food was delicious, service was excellent. We were able to talk (not noisy). The server was excellent.

Many seafood choices. I thought Stacey's was a place we want to return to soon.

• Visited April 2013
Redmond, Washington
“A pricey, yet underwhelming, dining experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

I recently had dinner at Stacey's Cafe when I met with a colleague of mine after work one evening. Downtown Pleasanton has many dining options, but we wound up here, as neither of us had eaten there before.

The layout is a little odd, as the main entrance is practically on top of the bar. Odd angles in the main seating areas also make it feel like close quarters and inefficient to move around. There is also an outdoor dining area, but it was closed on the rather chilly January night when we visited. Things seemed clean overall, though the place settings seemed a bit worn and could probably stand to be replaced.

The menu has a fairly diverse mix of food - seafood, steaks, salads, chicken, and pasta, to name a few - that would satisfy most palates. I chose a grilled salmon entree with a potato pancake or sorts and vegetables. The salmon was good, though bordering on the edge of being overcooked. Also, the "garnish" of fried, nearly burnt onion strips - I suppose in place of the sundried tomatoes that were listed in the menu - that were sprinkled across salmon and plate were a bit much. My colleague had a Thai beef salad, which was described to me as good but nothing very "Thai" about it. Prices are much steeper than expected, and given that neither meal was spectacular, seemed too much.

They have a decent wine list, though very limited options to buy by the glass. Prices on all their bottles - many of which I was familiar with - were dramatically and unnecessarily overpriced.

The most notable item was the pathetic customer service. We arrived at a time that could hardly be called busy - maybe a half-dozen other people in the restaurant - and across the board, the staff was disengaged, bored, and were quite literally going through the motions. The waitress mumbled unintelligibly through the specials. We were sitting within 15 feet - and in full view - of the kitchen/grill, so we knew the cooks were there waiting for orders. But it still took a ridiculously slow 40 minutes from time we placed the order to the time it arrived at our table. During that time, nobody came by to apologize for the delay, much less explain how it could take that long on such a quiet night. The only time the staff was quick with the water was after we paid our check, and even after saying we didn't need a refill, they came by four more times.

All told, it was a mediocre to underwhelming dining experience that was most notable for the hit to the wallet and the feeling of being an imposition on the staff. The food was fine, but underwhelming, and the lack of customer service was borderline appalling. Those two items take my rating from "average" to "poor". For the prices paid for that dinner, I expect far more in terms of quality of food and service. A shame that it wasn't better, and I would recommend that diners choose from the other assortment of dining options in downtown Pleasanton.

• Visited February 2013
Pleasanton
“Stacey's - Not the Same”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Could be the quality of the food, or the chef's; but Stacey's food has become very mediocre. I recall the yummy dishes that lived up to the buzz when the restaurant opened. Good times, then. Hope it improves!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Was not worth the 10 year wait.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

I used to frequent Stacey's when I was a local, nearly ten years ago. When my husband surprised me and took me there today I knew it might have changed, a decade is a long time...I was hoping for the best, and got the worst. It started when we walked in the door, my son commented that it smelled funny. It's our number one rule...if a restaurant smells funny you leave, there are many reason for "smells" that are not pleasant and usually it's best not to find out why. The "bus boy" was great and our server was more interested on her iPhone than serving us...the food was not bad, but it was not great either. The BLT I have fondly remembered, now is just that, a fond memory. The restaurant without Stacey is not the same. The roasted red pepper aoli tasted as if they used Best's and added flavor. A huge disappointment all around. Thanks for the memories. I won't be back for another decade if that.