“Hap's Original Restaurant”

Dining options: Reservations
Fresno, CA
“Hap's Original Restaurant”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My wife and I had the occasion to stay overnight in Pleasanton for personal business 22-23 February. We like to eat well in an upscale atmosphere. Generally, when we are in Pleasanton, we prefer Hap's. The food is always very good and the drinks made well. The wine selection is excellent.

The décor consists of lots of medium color wood paneling with subdued lighting throughout, which presents a subtle, but rich ambiance for gracious dining.

We can't eat like we used to so we decided to share the main course, but have individual salads. All menu items in Hap's are priced as separate entres. I find this is standard in most Pleasanton and Bay Area restaurants.

We started off with drinks. My wife no longer drinks alcoholic, but enjoys tonic with lime. I am a solid Manhattan drinker and had one of those. I would say that my Manhattan needed more sweet vermouth, but, overall, it was good. Hap's prepares their own cherries by marinating Maraschino cherries in a special, heavy syrup, I think. Very good. They are similar, though smaller, to the Bordeaux cherries I buy from Oregon.

For salad, my wife had the evening's special salad which consisted of sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil with oil and balsamic vinegar. My salad was the wedge salad with blue cheese dressing. Both were hard to beat.

We shared a 16 oz. prime rib dinner which was done to perfection. Hap's offered a nice selection of sauces to add to meals and I selected a roquefort fromage [French for cheese]. It was very tasty and added a very nice zestiness to my prime rib.

I had a glass of Hidden Ridge 2009 cabernet with the meal. I favor Napa cabernets over any other, and was not disappointed. The French have nothing on Napa.

Overall, I think the prime rib is the best meal I have had in three visits and look forward to visiting Hap's again. The service was very good. My wife is good about remembering names, but I generally don't pay attention since I don't hear well and knowing a server's name wasn't something I learned growing up. It wasn't done in the 1950's and 60's. Name tags sufficed, if names were important. So, I cannot recall our server's name, but he did a fine job nonetheless.

• Visited February 2014

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wow! Second-best onion rings in the world”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I had an overall excellent meal. There were no negatives. The appetizers through the desert were excellent. I loved the bananas on caramel (first thing I saw on the desert menu and didn't look at another item before deciding). The wines were excellent, but some of that was our host chosing the wines for us. However, the onion rings were the best. We were there as a large group, and those got most of the talk the next day. Tender, tasty and coated well without being dry or mushy. They alone could set Hap's apart from other upper-tier steak restaurants (FYI - best rings in the world were at Breadman's in Chapel Hill before they changed the recipe 20 or so years ago - their's are still very good, but not what they were)

Visited February 2014
Greenwood, Indiana
“Outstanding from greeting to departure”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

If your looking for a super place to enjoy a dining experience, then Hap's is the place for you. Definitely upscale but not in the traditional stuffy way. The extensive wine list is worthy of a restaurant of this quality. The same high level of quality is carried over and reflected in the menu. The food (filet) was prepared perfectly and the Caesar salad was crisp and delicious. Great dinner and evening.

Visited February 2014
Pleasanton, California, Usa
“restaurant”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Went to celebrate my wedding anniversary. Service was slow, Food was good. My husband and I shared the prime rib it was very pricey but we both enjoyed the meal. We plan to return to try out the T-bone steak. Clam chowder was my favorite so far the best I have had.

• Visited January 2014
Pleasanton, California, USA
“Great steaks!”
Reviewed 18 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Took my boss, who is from NY to dinner at Haps. Ate in the bar, bartenders were great & food awesome

Visited November 2013