“How Meat is Done”

Hap's Original Steaks & Seafood
Ranked #1 of 268 Restaurants in Pleasanton
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Williamsburg, Virginia
“How Meat is Done”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Excellent dinner w my son. He had the bone-in ribeye and me the prime rib, blackened Cajun style. A few beers and my two dirty martinis hit the spot. We shared a 3-layer chocolate cake accompanied by hi octane espresso. Great evening w Justin and a fantastic dining experience in old town Pleasanton CA. Pricey but well worth it. Highly recommended!!!

1 Thank Bern R

Pleasanton, California
“Tough Prime Rib, Noisy, overpriced for quality of food and service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Tough Prime Rib. This place may get by on their reputation for good steaks, but mine was so tough, that my 7 sear old could not chew his and spit it out. The prime rib did not have much flavor.
I think it was extremely overpriced for the quality of the food. It is also extremely noisy. The vegetables were also not very good the green beans were tough as well.
My check for one person for Prime rib, 1 glass of wine, a soup, soda and the Prime Rib for $75.00, inc tip.
This is a case were you do not get what you pay for in a Restaurant.
I like to pay for exceptional food. Hap's, was exceptionally bad. I will not go there again.
Also, one of my companions ordered Shrimp Scampi and it did not come out of the kitchen for 15 minutes after the rest of us was served.
Of coarse having good manners, we were all waiting to dine until she received her meal, while ours got cold.
Overall a very disappointing experience.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Kim_AJ_C
Pleasanton, ca
“Just missed the music...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Beautiful, fancy, high end. Not your casual niche. I love it... the wine, the meals. I only think they could have live music.

• Visited August 2013
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Great atmosphere and excellent food, but bring your wallet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Like many of your high end steak/chop houses the prices are very high and everything is ala cart. Started off with appetizers with the calamari, crab cakes and mini lamb chops. The Lamb chops were the best and a very generous amount of calamari was good. I was told the crab cakes are very good, but I would have to disagree. For dinner I had the Filet and I would highly recommend as it was perfect.
I was on business trip and met some friends who suggested Hap's and I am very glad I went, however I don't think I can afford to eat here very often.

• Visited February 2014
Fresno, CA
“Hap's Original Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

My wife and I had the occasion to stay overnight in Pleasanton for personal business 22-23 February. We like to eat well in an upscale atmosphere. Generally, when we are in Pleasanton, we prefer Hap's. The food is always very good and the drinks made well. The wine selection is excellent.

The décor consists of lots of medium color wood paneling with subdued lighting throughout, which presents a subtle, but rich ambiance for gracious dining.

We can't eat like we used to so we decided to share the main course, but have individual salads. All menu items in Hap's are priced as separate entres. I find this is standard in most Pleasanton and Bay Area restaurants.

We started off with drinks. My wife no longer drinks alcoholic, but enjoys tonic with lime. I am a solid Manhattan drinker and had one of those. I would say that my Manhattan needed more sweet vermouth, but, overall, it was good. Hap's prepares their own cherries by marinating Maraschino cherries in a special, heavy syrup, I think. Very good. They are similar, though smaller, to the Bordeaux cherries I buy from Oregon.

For salad, my wife had the evening's special salad which consisted of sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil with oil and balsamic vinegar. My salad was the wedge salad with blue cheese dressing. Both were hard to beat.

We shared a 16 oz. prime rib dinner which was done to perfection. Hap's offered a nice selection of sauces to add to meals and I selected a roquefort fromage [French for cheese]. It was very tasty and added a very nice zestiness to my prime rib.

I had a glass of Hidden Ridge 2009 cabernet with the meal. I favor Napa cabernets over any other, and was not disappointed. The French have nothing on Napa.

Overall, I think the prime rib is the best meal I have had in three visits and look forward to visiting Hap's again. The service was very good. My wife is good about remembering names, but I generally don't pay attention since I don't hear well and knowing a server's name wasn't something I learned growing up. It wasn't done in the 1950's and 60's. Name tags sufficed, if names were important. So, I cannot recall our server's name, but he did a fine job nonetheless.

• Visited February 2014