“Not What I Was Expecting for the Price”

Coast Guard House Historic Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Point Arena B&B and Inns
South Lyon, Michigan
“Not What I Was Expecting for the Price”
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I would have to echo the review written by norcalite of her July 2008 stay. My husband and I stayed for three nights at the Coast Guard House in the Boat House, which is a cottage detached from the main house. I thought the pictures on their website made the property look a lot nicer than what I found in actuality. As norcalite stated in her review, the property looks a bit dilapidated and at first I told my husband that I did not think we had pulled up to the right place. There were wine stains on the curtains in our cottage (not a lot of them, but noticeable) and markings on the wall across from the bed where someone's suitcase may have worn away the paint. I could see a handprint above my bed in the right lighting; however, I should say that the bedding, floors, bathroom, and jucuzzi tub in our room were kept very clean. The "view" advertised on the site is barely a glimpse of the water from the "private porch." It was because of the tub and the "view" that we splurged and spent extra to have this detached cottage. On the upside, the Innkeeper, Mia, was very personable and made nice breakfasts each morning, brought to our room. I also enjoyed the ambience from the wood burning stove in our room. However, I wished I would have stayed at either of the two other properties I considered, which I passed by car, which had far better views coupled with lower rates. I would have been very disappointed had my stay been to celebrate an anniversary or a honeymoon.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DrJennyNovi_Michigan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Silicon Valley, CA
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Enjoyed our stay. Will give 3 stars instead of 5 b/c we feel our room should have been cleaned better & the whole inn should be better maintained (grounds & buildings) - also, the breakfasts' were good but not gourmet.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank norcalite
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed 25 April 2008

We are going back to Coast Guard House for the 8th time. From the first time we stayed at the Coast Guard House we knew this was a special find. It is away from all the hub of Mendicino and yet close enough so if we want to do some "gifty" shopping we can. The B & B is kept clean; it is quiet and out of the way. Mia (Mia & Kevin are the owners) cooks up fabulous breakfasts for the guests. Kevin adds conversation and "dry humor" during breakfast with his knowledge of history regarding the surrounding area. Mia is always great for suggestions on places to hike, Kevin has wonderful suggestions for dining at local restaurants. Coast Guard House is a perfect get away for rest and relaxation.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank jogee1234
auckland new zealand
Reviewed 24 March 2008

The Coastguard House was everything I thought it would be .
The solitude was great and no one else was staying in the house which was really nice. The room was great with a nice gas fire and no TV and the bath was very interesting. Very accommodating hosts in Kevin and Mia and they don't crowd you at all. They arranged a theraputic massage for my husband at very short notice, nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts were great not your usual American fare at all. Loved the history of the place and all the history books available for perusal. The suggestions for local restaurants were good for the first night at the Phoenix in town but the second night at the Arena Cove Bar & Grill wasn't up to expectation but this was no fault of the hosts.

If ever in the area again would stay again and recommend to others.

• Liked — Comfort and seclusion
  • Disliked — bed could have been softer
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jethro56
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 17 September 2007

If you're looking for a quiet getaway in a beautiful place, this is the inn for you. Point Arena is secluded, lovely, and rustic. You'll see every star in the night sky and watch the sunset from a deserted pier. The inn is delightful and the innkeepers truly wonderful hosts, from the delicious breakfast basket at the door to your cottage to the fresh flowers in your room. The cove shares one restaurant that serves delicious seafood in an unpretentious atmosphere -- we loved the oysters on the half shell and prawn pasta. This place is romantic, historic, and charming... well worth the drive for a memorable stay.

• Liked — The quiet seclusion & natural beauty of the cove
  • Disliked — A bit pricey, but well worth it for a special stay
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SBBetsy
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 25 July 2007

As others have written, if you are looking for a run-of-the-mill Mendocino experience, or if you are in a big hurry, you may not like it, but we enjoyed our stay very much.

Our host and hostess were available by house phone when we needed them and at breakfast, but otherwise left us to ourselves and didn't hover. They gladly assisted us with making plans for the day, and gave us a very interesting history of the house when we asked.

Others have complained that breakfast is late, and it is true that it was served around 9:30, though coffee, tea, and hot water were available around 8:15. The food was quite good. The first morning, we each had a bowl of fruit, yogurt with granola (yum!), and oatmeal pancakes with peaches. The second morning, we had a bowl of fruit again, banana muffins (two each, fresh baked), and a really good frittata (eggs, cheese, scallions and herbs).

The location is remote, and we liked not being completely surrounded by tourists. Coast Guard House has a nice maritime history and has well-appointed rooms, without excessive frilliness or silliness. The down side is that the location is remote (!), so it takes a while to get to standard points of interest. We weren't in a huge hurry, though, so that was fine with us. We enjoyed watching the fishermen put out to sea, taking in the tide pools, and hiking the local trails.

We would definitely stay here again, though we might try to get in some wine tasting next time.

• Liked — Scenery, quiet, privacy
  • Disliked — Distance from tourist attractions
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
10 Thank OutdoorsLady
Sunnyvale
Reviewed 19 July 2007

I read many good reviews here about it, so decided to book it. I was frankly a little dissapointed after the build up from all those good reviews. We stayed at Surfman Cove room with the Japanese tub. The tub appears deep, but actually the water cannot be filled so deep because of the drain overflow. The tub was also only about 3 ft square, so one cannot lie down and stretch out the legs. The bed was very creaky and not so comfortable. I was also expecting it to be more on the water, but it was not. It was set in a little, and although you can see the ocean if you stand at the window, the view did not play an encompassing part of the environment which is the whole point of visiting the Mendocino coast. The inn keepers were friendly enough, and breakfast was OK. But it was just below my expectations.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River
The Elk Cove Inn & Spa

Been to Coast Guard House Historic Inn? Share your experiences!