“Not what it used to be” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coast Guard House Historic Inn

Coast Guard House Historic Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Point Arena B&B and Inns
No California
“Not what it used to be”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

We recently stayed at this Inn for the second time. The first time was over ten years ago. Our return was disappointing. The room was quiet, bed very comfortable but the rugs on the floor felt dirty and were really more like scattered bath mats. I pushed them out of the way just so they would not be underfoot.

Breakfast is served only at 9:30 which for us is later -- we like to get a start on the day and are early risers. It would be nice to have an option to eat earlier. I think the innkeeper wants to keep things easy and one time to serve is easier for her. She was also put off by my question as to whether the eggs had cheese in them. Her response was you should have told me you had restrictions. She did offer after this rebuff to make me scrambled eggs, which were nicely prepared.

Also the restaurant recommendations on their website were for local places that look like they see little business. We ate at St. Orres and also at the Stanford lodge both of which were excellent. The review of St. Orres that the innkeepers gave was not nearly as favorable as I would write.

The innkeepers have been at the property for 14 years and perhaps being of service to others may be wearing thin. With a tough economy I am sure it is not easy to do their job. For the money there are better options.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NestEggTraveling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sacramento,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

The Coast Guard House Inn is a lovely getaway just off Route 1 tucked into the hillside overlooking the Point Arena Cove. The rooms are charmingly decorated in the style perfect to the history of the house - no frilly victorian prints here - and the beds are exceptionally comfortable. We've stayed in most of the rooms there and love the fact that you can lie in bed at night listening to the ocean and smelling the incredible coastal air and, with the exception of the bell buoy just offshore, not hear any sounds created by man. Its amazingly quiet at night. Equally amazing is the amount of stars you see in the night sky. We like sitting at the little table on the lawn enjoying a glass of wine and listening/watching the night (or if you're adventurous bring a flashlight and scramble up the bluff - shh...).
Breakfast is always scrumptious - Mia is an excellent cook - and the meals never dissappoint. Nor have i ever left the table still hungry as there is plenty what with the fruit, muffins(!!!), granola/yogurt, and the main dish. Everything is made from scratch and the consistently high quality is impressive.
The hosts Mia and Kevin make the place even more special: friendly, funny, smart, and accomodating, they are open with suggestions of where to go or info on area history. It is a real treat to engage in an after-breakfast conversation with them on a myriad of subjects. And we can't forget Winston the awesome dog who is always up for a scritch or a walk if you seem the obliging type. This place is a true gem!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TwoOnATrip
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2009

We stayed 2 nights at the Coastguard House in the Flag Room. Overall, our stay was nice.

The Coastguard House is interesting in its history, since it was a working lighthouse. The decor reflects this maritime history and also has some lovely touches from the arts and crafts era.

The Flag room is nice & clean, a bit small, but outfitted with arts and crafts style furnishing. The bed is fit into a part of the room that is surrounded on 3 sides by windows. There is also a separate small chartroom with a seating area and nice views. The bathroom is spacious with adequate amenities. There is no standup shower, but a clawfoot tub with a handshower attachment. The tub is comfortable for 1 person- 2 would need to get very cozy. Judging from the comments in the guest book, this is popular.

From the website, it is hard to judge exactly how far the inn is from the water and what the beach area looks like. Therefore, I included a few pictures here that should help. From our room, we did have a lovely view of the water from the window that is at the foot of the bed and from the window at the edge of our chartroom. From the other windows, the view is of the treetops- with branches encircling the house. The water is about a 2 minute walk downhill from the B&B. It is a small cove with a fishing pier, parking lot, building with restaurants, and a small rocky beach. It is not the beach where you will want to spend a lot of time (there are many other beaches in the area that are more serene), but is interesting.

The B&B is run in a very casual, comfortable fashion. The owners were friendly without being overbearing. The breakfasts in the morning were nice enough, but a bit sparse for my taste with no real options given. Mia (one of the owners) makes the breakfasts which are certainly made with local ingredients and visually appealing, but I didn't feel that I could ask for anything extra (I guess I have a bigger appetite than most guests) or have options if there was something I didn't particularly care for. The breakfast is all served at the same time at a single dining room table. So you will be forced to socialize with the other guests, be that as it is.

The owners were certainly willing to offer suggestions for our stay. However, they did steer us to the restaurant that shares the same cove (Arena Cove Bar and Grill) which was absolutely atrocious. Some of the other guests at breakfast told us that this used to be better, so perhaps the owners just weren't aware that it had gone downhill of late. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

• Liked — relaxing atmosphere
2 Thank D-Phud
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2008

What a gem we discovered on the California coast...well Expedia discovered...but we were so happy with their recommendation.

The setting is unique and beautiful, the rooms tastefully decorated, roomy, and the bed was sooooo comfortable. The breakfasts were awesome right down to the edible flower garnish!

The best thing about the Coast Guard House Inn were the hosts...very friendly, welcoming, informative, available, yet not hovering. They told us of the best places to eat, the best places to take in the scenery, the best roads to travel, the best wineries in the Anderson valley, the best beaches, etc. We veered off their recommendation once and were sorry....regarding the best Redwood forest in the area. They have secrets they're willing to share with the truly interested...

Breakfast was a bit late for us, but we made the best of it by going to town to The Record (a good place to get a picnic lunch too) for organic coffee and a shared Danish or bagel, and then back to the gourmet "second breakfast" (like good Hobbits) at the Coast Guard House Inn. Well worth it. We were fortunate to meet wonderful like-minded guests at breakfast too.

We stayed for a week and wished we could have stayed much longer. Like all wonderful places...we hope to return someday...

• Liked — The bed & breakfast (-:
  • Disliked — The late-ish breakfasts
1 Thank Intoadventure
South Lyon, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2008

I would have to echo the review written by norcalite of her July 2008 stay. My husband and I stayed for three nights at the Coast Guard House in the Boat House, which is a cottage detached from the main house. I thought the pictures on their website made the property look a lot nicer than what I found in actuality. As norcalite stated in her review, the property looks a bit dilapidated and at first I told my husband that I did not think we had pulled up to the right place. There were wine stains on the curtains in our cottage (not a lot of them, but noticeable) and markings on the wall across from the bed where someone's suitcase may have worn away the paint. I could see a handprint above my bed in the right lighting; however, I should say that the bedding, floors, bathroom, and jucuzzi tub in our room were kept very clean. The "view" advertised on the site is barely a glimpse of the water from the "private porch." It was because of the tub and the "view" that we splurged and spent extra to have this detached cottage. On the upside, the Innkeeper, Mia, was very personable and made nice breakfasts each morning, brought to our room. I also enjoyed the ambience from the wood burning stove in our room. However, I wished I would have stayed at either of the two other properties I considered, which I passed by car, which had far better views coupled with lower rates. I would have been very disappointed had my stay been to celebrate an anniversary or a honeymoon.

2 Thank DrJennyNovi_Michigan
Silicon Valley, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

Enjoyed our stay. Will give 3 stars instead of 5 b/c we feel our room should have been cleaned better & the whole inn should be better maintained (grounds & buildings) - also, the breakfasts' were good but not gourmet.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank norcalite
Walnut Creek, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2008

We are going back to Coast Guard House for the 8th time. From the first time we stayed at the Coast Guard House we knew this was a special find. It is away from all the hub of Mendicino and yet close enough so if we want to do some "gifty" shopping we can. The B & B is kept clean; it is quiet and out of the way. Mia (Mia & Kevin are the owners) cooks up fabulous breakfasts for the guests. Kevin adds conversation and "dry humor" during breakfast with his knowledge of history regarding the surrounding area. Mia is always great for suggestions on places to hike, Kevin has wonderful suggestions for dining at local restaurants. Coast Guard House is a perfect get away for rest and relaxation.

Stayed June 2007
#2 of 2 in Little River
North Coast Country Inn
North Coast Country Inn
#3 of 7 in Gualala

Been to Coast Guard House Historic Inn? Share your experiences!