“History and Hospitality in One Great Place”

and 1 more site!
Coast Guard House Historic Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Point Arena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2006

My wife and I stayed at the boathouse last month for our suprise anniversary weekend. It was fabulous. I had contacted Mia beforehand to set it up and my wife was blown away by the weekend. The delivered breakfast each morning was fantastic and far better than what we've eaten at the multiple other B&Bs. We ended up eating it out on the patio overlooking the ocean - the view was stunning.

The whirlpool in the the room was very nice as well. I heartily recommend you visting the Coast Guard Inn!

• Stayed: June 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
38  Thank sanjiv

Reviewed 24 July 2006

We stayed here recently in the Cypress Cottage. The price ($250 per night) was a pretty good deal for a whole cottage separate from the house that can sleep 3 people. The place was cute, with a downstairs area with a fireplace and couch, bathroom, kitchen, and amazing tub that can easily fit two people. There's a switch you can turn on right by the tub to warm up the whole area. You go up the stairs and on your left is a room with a captain bed (very comfy) and a few chairs. On the other side is the single person bed. Really cute thing to notice, if this is still here when you go, is that there is a nest right by the front door with baby birds. It was cute to watch. We also had a frog enter the house somehow, which was cute, and we let it out. The dog on the property will follow you down on the pier and back(-: And there's a kitty too.

As far as breakfast, I think we've been spoiled in the past. It was straightforward both days, with an egg dish, a bowl of fruit, and freshly made muffins. I loved the muffins! The breakfast is served at 9:30.

As far as amenities, you will find a hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner, a fridge, and whatnot...but really not too many extras like robes you might find at the fancier bed and breakfasts. The lack of extras is the only negative thing I have to say about this place. Otherwise, it's a great price for what you get!!

On a side note, we went to St. Orres for dinner. It was pretty good, but note that the menu has strange things on it like rabbit, quail, venison...so if you're not into that, don't go!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
27  Thank zeppgirl
Reviewed 8 July 2006

We were looking last minute for a place to stay on the 1st of July (Point Arena celebrates with fireworks on a different day than the 4th so they can get more "bang for the buck" (literally). Most places were full, and while the Coast Guard House (CGH) normally has a 2-night minimum policy, the day before (after 5:00pm) they let us book just a single night. The hotel was a bit more expensive than some of the others in the area, but it turned out to be well worth it for several reasons.

The building is set on a slope overlooking a little cove with a pier. It is high enough up on the hill that you can see quite some distance out on the water, though the sides of the cove prevent it from being a 180-degree panorama.

The day we were there it was the annual independence day celebration, and there was a "block party" down at the sea-side (a stones throw from the CGH) which consisted of live music, booths with food, and several very interesting performances and displays. The music was never unpleasantly loud, and it was done by about 11:30pm, so we had no trouble sleeping that night. We heard that this is pretty much the only night of the year there is so much excitement at the waterfront and the other 364 days it is a pretty sleepy site (which we could believe).

The rooms are very tidy and clean, and they decorations were quaint though very fresh an clean. It wasn't by any means overly frilly (there was only a very small amount of lace in the room). The rooms had natural gas powered radiant heaters in the corners that made a very pleasant toastiness to counteract the chilly night air.

The inkeeper told us the night before that breakfast would be at 9:30, and that coffee and tea would be available somewhat before that. My reaction was that it is a little late for breakfast, but we didn't mind because we had no plans to get out and about before 10:00am. The breakfast itself was very nice and plentiful, served on a very nice mission style dining table. We had bowls of fresh fruit and berries, spiced apple and nut muffins, and quiche, and some other little bits. The food was very tasty and well prepared, but not in my personal-top-10 breakfasts-of-all-time.

I think in the end we paid $205 for a suite with two rooms (including breakfafst for three adults) and a very large bathroom, and $155 for an upstairs room with a private bathroom with two adult breakfasts. It was definitely more than we had intended to pay on this trip (we were visiting family), but having seen what our alternative was, I'm glad I spent the extra money.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank Stephen98125
A TripAdvisor Member
Keller, TX
Reviewed 1 June 2006

The Coast Guard Inn was a good B&B. Mia went out of her way to help us rectify a little phone problem we had. Breakfast was great. The room was clean, warm, quiet, and well furnished. The inn is in a great location just south of a nice beach and cool lighthouse. Unfortunately, on weekdays in the off-season, it's hit or miss for dining in the area. No fault of the Coast Guard house, but be forewarned. The Arena Cove Bar and Grill about 100 yards away has a full bar and very decent meals that are reasonably priced...and they're open on cold, rainy Tuesday nights! I would definitely recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: May 2006
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 May 2006

Looking for a place to have a weekend getaway May 19 – 21 with my mom and sister lead me this nice location. We love B&Bs and in doing some research I found the Coast Guard House Historical Inn, in Arena Cove (Point Arena). I’m so glad I went with my gut feeling, because we really enjoyed our stay, especially my mom who likes to mingle. You can easily kill 4 hours driving there if you take the scenic road. We had landed in Oakland at 9am and started one way, but Hwy 1 was closed so we had to turn back and go around which took a while and with a full day of driving and some sightseeing we finally arrived at the Inn at around 5:15pm! We were beat when we arrived, but it was a very nice welcoming that slowed down our nerves and helped us begin our relaxing time. We met Kevin and he showed us around and gave the rundown of everything. Then he took us to our room, the Cypress Cottage, and we were nicely surprised. Very cozy and comfy. He gave some good advise on food locations and we went to have dinner at the Phoenix... enjoyed the food. Our cottage stands all on it’s own, separated from the main house, but right next door. Inside when you enter you see a wood burning stove (we used it one night, great to warm the area), 2 comfy couches, a table for four (but set up for three up against a window), and an antique desk (with the other chair). It has a kitchen also, with a normal size frig, a microwave, a coffee maker, an electric water kettle, but no stove. The Cypress is a two story cottage, and the bathroom is down stairs; so for those of you who go a lot at night, it’ll be a walk. In the bathroom they have a good size shower, a pedestal sink and a little bit hidden in the back toilet (oh! But lot’s of room all around). They give you plenty of towels also, which comes in handy with three girls. The other side of the cottage before going upstairs, you see another fireplace, which is gas and comes complete with a switch. This is where the best part is….the Jacuzzi tub! They even have a row of tea light candles for your enjoyment. Huge! I used it every night, so relaxing after sightseeing a lot. With just the candles and the fireplace going, a couple would love this cottage. They also have there for you some bath salts in a small jar. Right in front of the tub are the stairs to the upstairs rooms. They are narrow but easy to get up and down. There’s a twin size raised bed in one room (right side) with a window, shelves with books, two chairs and the bed is like built in (my room, and I liked it). The other side (left) they have a larger bed, queen I think? It has a down comforter and all, very comfortable. It’s up against a window with a view of the landscape and water, really nice. Since these rooms are built with the angles of the roof the room has lots of appeal, they have two one person couches. The whole cottage is generally large with lots of room. Ok, the breakfasts….two words….got more? Mia and another lady delivered our breakfasts to the cottage. My mom requested to sit with everyone else in the main house and Kevin was very accommodating for her. He even invited her back on Sunday morning. My sister and I took our in the cottage. Our breakfast on Saturday consisted of a glass of OJ, banana nut muffins, a plate of a variety of fruit, and a slice of potato pie (egg dish). On Sunday, they brought us cranberry scones, a plate of fruit, a glass of OJ, and a spinach kiesh. All was soooooo good. We wanted more but were too shy to go ask. Mia was very attentive and responsive to what ever we needed or reqeusted when she brought our food. It was filling and well balanced also. Kevin and Mia were both very nice and I felt at home from the beginning. We really liked going there and I’m already planning a return with my husband.

• Stayed: May 2006
29  Thank Veroaleli
Reviewed 17 May 2006

Mia and Kevin were great hosts - very attentive and full of information. Kevin suggested routes to various places we wanted to go that saved us time and energy. He also suggested what turned out to be one of the better wineries we found on our trip which included not only the coast, but interior and wine valleys of Sonoma and Napa. We found peace and serenity at the Inn along with a very clean room and Mia's exceptional breakfasts. The property is well taken care of. Our room had a view to the ocean-side cove, a fireplace to send the morning chill away, a Japanese soaking tub (not recommended for those who cannot lift their legs high to get in and out), and was very spacious. The Point Arena Lighthouse, just down the road, is another adventure I would not suggest if you cannot climb at least 6 stories of stairs. Kevin advised us on worthy and not worthy adventures in and around the area that were right on the mark. The other guests we had the pleasure of meeting over breakfast were a pleasure and converations with our hosts were rewarding. I would suggest a new mattress - a sinful pillowtop would be wonderful. Ours did seem to have a slight sag in the middle. Other than that - and that did not disrupt our stay, we had a great time in a small town with great residents and very personable hosts.

Stayed: May 2006
27  Thank BandB-Lovers
Reviewed 8 April 2006

We stayed in Surfman's Cove. We slept with the window open and listened to the ocean while drifting off to sleep. Really comfortable bed!!

Japanese Soaking Tub was awesome.

Owners friendly with great breakfast.

• Stayed: July 1999
The Elk Cove Inn & Spa
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River

Been to Coast Guard House Historic Inn? Share your experiences!