“WOW- The Coast Guard House Historic Inn completely exceeded our expectations.”

Coast Guard House Historic Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Point Arena B&B and Inns
Groveland, CA
“WOW- The Coast Guard House Historic Inn completely exceeded our expectations.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

My wife and I got away for a little "down" time on the NoCal Mendicino Coast - we picked
The Coast Guard House Inn as a lovely getaway on Route 1 tucked overlooking Point Arena Cove. The rooms are charmingly decorated in the style perfect to the history of the house - no frilly victorian prints here - and the beds are exceptionally comfortable. We've stayed in most of the rooms there and love the fact that you can lie in bed and hear only the harbor sounds. Its amazingly quiet at night. Equally amazing is the amount of stars you see in the night sky. We're used to "big" sky in the Sierras and were surprised to find the same here on the coast. We liked sitting at the window, enjoying a glass of wine and listening/watching the evening sky.
Breakfast is always scrumptious - Mia is an excellent cook - and the meals never dissappoint. Nor did I ever leave the table hungry as there is plenty what with the fruit, muffins, granola/yogurt, and the main dish. Everything is made from scratch and the consistently high quality is impressive.
The hosts Mia and Kevin make the place even more special: friendly, funny, smart, and accomodating, they are open with suggestions of where to go or info on area history. It is a real treat to engage in an after-breakfast conversation with them on a myriad of subjects. And we can't forget Winston the awesome dog who is always up for a scritch or a walk if you seem the obliging type. This place is a real find and we will be coming back soon!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cub_innkeeper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Yountville, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

I stayed at the Coast Guard House for one night with my grown daughter in a two room suite. I wish I could have stayed longer. We were on a short time schedule and had to leave the next morning. The rooms were clean and lovely, the hosts helpful and friendly. It is located over looking a harbor pier with a grand view of the Pacific in Point Arena. The breakfast served and the rooms were quite nice. But I think the way to make a stay at such a place really worthwhile would be to spend two or more nights there. An overnight does not really allow for the time to just enjoy the grounds, the inn itself, and so on, as most of the time we were exploring the area around Point Arena and could not fully take advantage of the place itself.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank barryology
Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

This is a phenomenal place. From the service to the room to the price to the location, it was all perfect. Kevin was extraordinarily helpful and polite during the check in, and Mia made the best breakfasts I've had in a long time. (I was sure to mention my food restrictions as soon as I arrived, and she accommodated scrumptiously.) It was great to see their friendly dog, Winston, outside occasionally when I would walk down to the cove, along the beach, or along the peaceful pier. I asked them what a good jogging route would be, and Kevin and Mia gave easy and accurate directions to a gorgeous nearby lighthouse. As a current Coast Guardsman myself, it was particularly interesting staying somewhere surrounded by so much history, including the fact that the inn itself is a former Life Saving Station, now masterfully restored. When I wasn't out and about hiking or running, or exploring the nearby towns, I relaxed in my spectacularly comfortable room, complete with a hot tub and fireplace. The only bad part about it was leaving.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GuardianGuy
Colfax, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2009

Upon arriving one must check in using the phone on the porch. The hosts don't live on site. Kevin came right over showed us to our rm. Suggested several places for dinner. Told us to make our selves at home and light a fire in the wood stove in the living rm later if we wanted. He asked if we wanted breakfast 9or 9:30.told us we would be the only guests there that night. Said he had an appt. and left. We expected someone would return later. All the lights were on downstairs when we returned from dinner and the windows were open. We searched for some cards or games in the living rm. Their inexpensive to have on hand as well as more magazines.The chairs were hard and the period furniture for this historical home which was lovely were just not comfortable for reading so we went to bed early.
Our rm was roomy, bed comforable,linens nice, but definitely not worth what we paid.
The Japanese soaking tub was difficult to get into. I would not suggest this room for older folks. The tub needs upgrading that's where the shower is too. A robe or towel hook would be nice too. A small side table for toiletries You have to put everything on the floor. I think some of the other rooms had nicer bathrooms.
I went downstairs early and made a nice fire to find everything open as we left it. The maid came and made coffee & tea at 8:00 we had our breakfast set up in the living rm close to the fire. That's when we met Mia the hostess. Our breakfast was very good. Especially the muffins. Presentation was nice too. Very filling. Mia shared ideas of places to see in the area. We had a nice visit with her. Too bad it hadn't been the day before. We were just there for one night. At least the weather was nice to sit out on the porch chairs.
We probably won't return here again because where some folks like the quiet and invisable hosts and to be left alone. I like to at least feel welcome and know what to expect from the get go. No drinks of any kind were offered. I didn't know if we should go in the kitchen and get a drink of water or not. I just never felt comfortable.

Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

Living in the Bay Area and working all the time, I don't often get to go on fun weekend getaways with my boyfriend. After leafing through Sunset magazine in September while in line at the grocery store, I stumbled upon a small review about this place and it intrigued me.

The review described this place as somewhat mysterious, which I originally thought sounded very cool but didn't know if it would be as romantic as I'd wanted. I gave it a chance anyway because the price was right! It was my boyfriends birthday so we were looking for somewhere special and quiet. The Coast Guard House was definitely romantic, as it had gorgeous views and limited distractions. We stayed in the smaller cottage called the Boathouse. It was nice not to have any television or cell phone distracting us. We could focus on more important things, and had a bottle of champagne on our back patio and watched the sunset over the ocean.

Also, after an amazing full course breakfast (we especially enjoyed the homemade pancakes) we took some great hikes that Mia recommended and Winston (the adorable dog) even followed along on one near by the place.

The town of Point Arena itself was also very neat. If you drive an hour north you will hit the much more quaint and touristy Mendocino. Point Arena is truly a hidden surprise with an art deco theater (with organic popcorn!) and an awesome organic market. Kevin also suggested a few great places to eat along the coast, ask him and he won't let you down.

Seriously, visit this place and stay at the Coast Guard House! We loved it and will definitely be back for future weekend stays.

4 Thank VacaLover09
No California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

We recently stayed at this Inn for the second time. The first time was over ten years ago. Our return was disappointing. The room was quiet, bed very comfortable but the rugs on the floor felt dirty and were really more like scattered bath mats. I pushed them out of the way just so they would not be underfoot.

Breakfast is served only at 9:30 which for us is later -- we like to get a start on the day and are early risers. It would be nice to have an option to eat earlier. I think the innkeeper wants to keep things easy and one time to serve is easier for her. She was also put off by my question as to whether the eggs had cheese in them. Her response was you should have told me you had restrictions. She did offer after this rebuff to make me scrambled eggs, which were nicely prepared.

Also the restaurant recommendations on their website were for local places that look like they see little business. We ate at St. Orres and also at the Stanford lodge both of which were excellent. The review of St. Orres that the innkeepers gave was not nearly as favorable as I would write.

The innkeepers have been at the property for 14 years and perhaps being of service to others may be wearing thin. With a tough economy I am sure it is not easy to do their job. For the money there are better options.

1 Thank NestEggTraveling
Sacramento,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

The Coast Guard House Inn is a lovely getaway just off Route 1 tucked into the hillside overlooking the Point Arena Cove. The rooms are charmingly decorated in the style perfect to the history of the house - no frilly victorian prints here - and the beds are exceptionally comfortable. We've stayed in most of the rooms there and love the fact that you can lie in bed at night listening to the ocean and smelling the incredible coastal air and, with the exception of the bell buoy just offshore, not hear any sounds created by man. Its amazingly quiet at night. Equally amazing is the amount of stars you see in the night sky. We like sitting at the little table on the lawn enjoying a glass of wine and listening/watching the night (or if you're adventurous bring a flashlight and scramble up the bluff - shh...).
Breakfast is always scrumptious - Mia is an excellent cook - and the meals never dissappoint. Nor have i ever left the table still hungry as there is plenty what with the fruit, muffins(!!!), granola/yogurt, and the main dish. Everything is made from scratch and the consistently high quality is impressive.
The hosts Mia and Kevin make the place even more special: friendly, funny, smart, and accomodating, they are open with suggestions of where to go or info on area history. It is a real treat to engage in an after-breakfast conversation with them on a myriad of subjects. And we can't forget Winston the awesome dog who is always up for a scritch or a walk if you seem the obliging type. This place is a true gem!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
The Elk Cove Inn & Spa
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River

Been to Coast Guard House Historic Inn? Share your experiences!