“Fun in Pt. Reyes”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Point Reyes Station
Point Reyes Schoolhouse Compound
San Francisco, California
“Fun in Pt. Reyes”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

What a lovely time I had recently staying with Karen at the Old Pt. Reyes Schoolhouse - and I apologize for my delay in this review. I spent time in Pt, Reyes in September and October and couldn't have been more comfortable as I was at the Schoolhouse compound. It was an easy walk into town for a leasurely breakfast or dinner, the compound was quiet and comfortable and the hostess made me feel incredibly welcome. I am planning on another visit in the spring for sure!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I’ve stayed at the Old Schoolhouse several times over the last six years – it’s my favorite base in West Marin. The setting is off-road and quiet; the grounds attractive and nicely tended. The rooms comfortable and well appointed - website photos give a good sense of their ambience. What the website doesn’t show is the quality of light in both Gray’s Retreat and the Barn Loft – it’s exceptional. And it’s just a five-minute walk to the center of Pt Reyes Station and all the good things there. Hard to beat.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James O
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My family and I actually live rather near Pt. Reyes, about 45 minutes away. But driving out to West Marin, and Pt. Reyes, is like a little bit of heaven...or Europe...it is just other-worldy. The compound of little cottages in the Schoolhouse is both charming and delightful. The grounds and gardens, even in this fall season, are full of flowers...everything is neat, clean and comfy, and just a stroll to the main street and delicious Bovine Bakery, bookstore, western wear, etc. etc. We were lucky and got to meet the owner, who has been there for 30+ years. She is amazing, a published author on West Marin, and a wealth of information! I think the Schoolhouse is the best-kept secret in Marin!! We will definitely go back!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 11 November 2011

A group of 12 of us recently spent a couple of nights at this wonderful place and it was so interesting because we used several of the rooms/cottages and they're all decorated differently and SO BEAUTIFULLY. We got to roam from one cozy spot to the next, enjoying all of the lush gardens and romantic settings. The owner is an artist and author, and her creative genius is visible in every view. We walked into town to have lunch, drove down through the ranches to the beaches, and took a picnic to celebrate our reunited group of friends. Lovely, magical, and can't wait to return!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This is one of my favorite places in the world. It's lovely, peaceful, and not overly cute or fancy. I've stayed in almost every unit on the compound and love them all, though Jasmine Cottage may be my favorite because of the curtained alcove where the bed is. Everything is comfortable and peaceful, and sets the perfect setting for relaxation and time with family or your partner. You can hang out in the gardens, cook for yourself, walk to town, go for a hike, read a book in the cottage. There's no place I would rather spend a weekend.

Room Tip: Again, I love Jasmine Cottage, but they are all beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stayed here the week before a family wedding with the intent to explore the Pt. Reyes area. We rented the Schoolhouse which was like staying in a beloved family home. It was very clean and there were really beautiful flowers to greet us. The house had many separate areas which allowed different members of the family to do many different things. We walked to town for delicious meals and cooked our own with amazing produce from the local farmer's market. We will be back!

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Loved the feel and setting of the barn loft in Schoolhouse Compound. Number of goofy things that could easily be remedied, and we wondered why they had not. Microwave and toaster on a shelf in the kitchen, but no place to plug them in without moving them. No coffee filters for the drip coffee system. Lack of electrical outlets in the first place, and most did not work. Two elements on the range did not work. No BBQ on our patio as promised, so we moved one from another part of the property. Dishes dirty and cookware dusty. Still a beautiful and peaceful place to stay. Just up the hill from town so nice for walking to shops.

• Stayed July 2011
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley
Cavallo Point
Cavallo Point
#2 of 4 in Sausalito

Been to Point Reyes Schoolhouse Compound? Share your experiences!