“"WONDERFUL AND UNIQUE, WE WANT TO COME BACK SOON"”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Abalone Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Point Reyes Station
Abalone Inn
West Hartford, Connecticut
“"WONDERFUL AND UNIQUE, WE WANT TO COME BACK SOON"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

When I mailed our check in advance, I hoped staying at the Abalone Inn would add a special dimension to our short week on Pt Reyes. In fact, we had such a good time, we cannot imagine staying anywhere else in the area in the future and look forward to a return visit as soon as we can. When we crossed the San Andreas Fault it was not just onto the Pacific Plate (don't miss the national seashore center exhibits and fault walk), but to a charming old home that is well and intelligently run. Removing our shoes on entering made my husband and me feel welcome immediately, as did the availability of cookies and tea, the clucks of the hens responsible for producing eggs for our breakfast, and the vine and lattice hidden hot tub. Respect flowed throughout - a gentle balancing of the needs of the house, the guests, the environment and our hostess. We particularly appreciated Donna's guidance on hikes to take, places for dinner, and the back routes to Napa and to Ft. Bragg that took us deeper into beautiful West Marin county. Also her flexibility when we had to come in late one night after picking up our daughter and friend at the Oakland airport. May the hundreds (truly!) of white daisies that mantled the slope around the Inn while we were there bloom and re-bloom year after year, and may we get back soon to see them.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Meriadoc M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Berkeley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

I want you to imagine your aunt and uncle in California have this neat old house. She and her husband are very comfortable but since it's their house and it's old they have a way they like things done. It's their house so take your shoes off when you come in, clean up after yourself when you use the coffee pot, put the cover back on the hot tub, work with the old plumbing. It's how it is. It's not a new Motel 6 where they have a staff running around. It's just them, actually her, and their house with 3 or 4 rooms to let.
It's a great location for town, the Bay and the park. It was clean and comfortable enough and we had a very pleasant weekend.

Room Tip: The bed in the Starlight room was a bit small for two adults
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank oldjgw
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Our stay at he Abalone Inn was more than I expected. An old house with lots of charm, We felt like we were in a friends home, it felt so comfortable. From the hot tub to the breakfast basket in the morning, to the garden, it was delightful If you want the sterile same old same old..stay at the Motel 6 or Holiday Inn and have breakfast at McDonald's But if you're willing to step out of the box........

it is ...One of a kind, a special place

Peace..........................Joe Smith

Room Tip: This is an old house built I believe before 1900, if you want "all the conveniences" stay...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joeasmith
Santorini, Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

My husband and I came to this place expecting a great retreat, instead we were left with mixed emotions about the woman who runs the place. It's sustainable alright. You can't even use the facilities comfortably. Not to mention the set rules on everything! She was friendly to my husband and even asked for his email right in front of me while she gave me a weird vibe. I strongly do not recommend this place for couples who want privacy and comfort. Its a shame because the place is great by itself. Unfortunately, the person who runs the place has no concept of limiting rules and giving the place a more inviting energy.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ava r

Travellers are raving about these Point Reyes Station hotels

Half Moon Bay, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

My husband & I escaped to Pt. Reyes for the weekend and stayed in the Garden room here. The room was clean and comfortable. Donna was open and helpful. It's an old house that is not particularly well insulated from other noises within the house, and it has a delicate septic system. So, yes, there are a few rules. And, this is West Marin, not Napa or Healdsburg. So, if you are high-maintenance and expect BnB's to be the standard of wine country, this may not be the place for you. For us, the value and location (close to the town of Pt. Reyes Station for dinner, etc., and right at the entrance to Pt. Reyes) means we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Even if you think you don't need the space, I think I'd choose the upstairs room next time...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Margie G
Berkeley, Calif.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Over the years my wife and I have ALWAYS been happy at the Abalone Inn, a B+B in Point Reyes, CA. We were there just two weekends ago, and not only were we happy, but the house was full of returnees, all of us talking about how much we have enjoyed Abalone Inn, our hostess Donna, the hot tub, for quite a number of years. My wife and I would absolutely recommend Abalone Inn to anyone, and we have. Several of our friends have in fact enjoyed themselves. Not only do we enjoy meeting new people, but the area abounds with hiking trails, beaches, and fine restaurants. We don't know when, but we do know we will be returning. Maybe, just maybe, we'll meet you there one of these days.

Peace, Sam Frankel and Mary Lou Watson

Room Tip: They're all good!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

I had driven up from Monterey and out to the point when I realized I needed more time in the area. They were recommended as "maybe" dog friendly and after quizzing me about my sweet ten year old dog had me come over to see the room, which was a converted back sun room.

Donna invited me in for a little shared dinner as I was the only guest and we had a nice chat about the property. She showed me through the entire house and if I hadn't had a dog, I would have chosen the front room (northeast corner) which looks over the march (and the road).

The back room on the main floor is on the southeast corner where there is an organic garden.

Access to the hot tub was a nice treat on such a cold night in the winter - it happened to be the solstice!

It is an old house, which lends it that kind of charm.

Wifi, kitchenette, tub, comfortable bed, view of the stars through the back window panes and a comfy chair from which to work online!

In the morning I took a nice walk on a recommended trail (it was frosty!).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
#4 of 15 in Point Reyes Station
Point Reyes Hostel
Point Reyes Hostel
#1 of 2 in Point Reyes Station

Been to Abalone Inn? Share your experiences!