“Weird, loud road, poor views, tepid hot tub.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abalone Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Point Reyes Station
Abalone Inn
new york, NY
“Weird, loud road, poor views, tepid hot tub.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

WEIRD. Earning a 2 only because of convenient location. We stayed in the top room, which had I imagine the best views of the bay, but you could only see out of the single window if you were standing--so any kind of relaxing indoors was claustrophobic. We couldn't flush toilet paper, and the sink water was cold...which seemed downright unhygenic. Hot tub was not hot enough to be enjoyable. The road was distractingly loud. Certainly not worth $220. I would go anywhere nearby instead of choosing the Abalone Inn again. (Note: I have only ever given 4s and 5s to lodgings on TripAdvisor--this one was truy sub-par).

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lalflat

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Winters, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

I felt very comfortable, and enjoyed the host very much. She was very friendly, and gave me just the right amount of attention, telling me of local resturants, and places to hike, while also letting me have my privacy. I was also glad she did not require a two night stay, and had a late cancellation due to the weather, that I was able to take advantage of. The rate was very reasonable, and the accomodations very comfortable. I enjoyed the hot tub, and due to the rainy weather, it was a nice way to enjoy being outside. I would definitely put this at the top of the list to stay when I return to the area.

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Margo C
Sebastopol, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

My husband and I went to the 50th anniversary celebration of the Pt. Reyes National Seashore. We live about 90 minutes away and didn't want to drive far after the event so decided in advance to make a weekend out of it. Everywhere we'd been before was completely booked but my husband saw Abalone Inn on the Internet and called. We were lucky to get their last room for that weekend. I remembered the inn from other visits to the area; it is well maintained and very conveniently located to the park, Tomales Bay, hiking trails, Inverness, Pt. Reyes Station, etc.

This inn is actually the home of the proprietors and they do have some rules and standards they want followed such as removing your shoes indoors, cleaning up after yourself in the common areas, etc. The experience reminded me of my travels in Switzerland in my 20's when I stayed at homes that had hung out "Zimmer Frei" (room for rent) signs. You are in someone's home and it is polite and respectful to follow their rules while being a guest in their home. I loved that memory rushing back. The house is over 100 years old and has all the charm and quirkiness of a historic building that you would expect. We found it quiet and cozy.

I would not call Abalone Inn a bed and breakfast because the breakfast they provide is a basket of cold items the night before, not a fresh hot breakfast. That was okay with us since we're not big breakfast people anyway. We had hot coffee and then stopped at the Bumble Bee bakery a short walk from the inn.

To sum it up, this is a lovely place a la Zimmer Frei, convenient, clean and cozy, quiet, friendly. It is not luxurious, but neither is the price. We will be back next time we want to spend a weekend near the water and exploring the beautiful Pt. Reyes peninsula.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth J
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

While the woman was kind and the old house was quirky and beautiful, I had to write this for people to know in advance. there is no hot breakfast here, simply a basket, which apparently can be given to you the night before, which consists of a Activa yogurt, a muffin, a hardboiled egg, and an apple. I might be leaving one item out that I can't remember. I know comparatively this B & B is cheaper than most, but the breakfast is well, half the luxury of a bed and breakfast. I could have bought these items in gas station as I left the next day...I never write reviews and I feel a little bad because the woman was nice, but I think people should know this before they go here.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank CalleHolcombe
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

When I mailed our check in advance, I hoped staying at the Abalone Inn would add a special dimension to our short week on Pt Reyes. In fact, we had such a good time, we cannot imagine staying anywhere else in the area in the future and look forward to a return visit as soon as we can. When we crossed the San Andreas Fault it was not just onto the Pacific Plate (don't miss the national seashore center exhibits and fault walk), but to a charming old home that is well and intelligently run. Removing our shoes on entering made my husband and me feel welcome immediately, as did the availability of cookies and tea, the clucks of the hens responsible for producing eggs for our breakfast, and the vine and lattice hidden hot tub. Respect flowed throughout - a gentle balancing of the needs of the house, the guests, the environment and our hostess. We particularly appreciated Donna's guidance on hikes to take, places for dinner, and the back routes to Napa and to Ft. Bragg that took us deeper into beautiful West Marin county. Also her flexibility when we had to come in late one night after picking up our daughter and friend at the Oakland airport. May the hundreds (truly!) of white daisies that mantled the slope around the Inn while we were there bloom and re-bloom year after year, and may we get back soon to see them.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Meriadoc M
Berkeley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

I want you to imagine your aunt and uncle in California have this neat old house. She and her husband are very comfortable but since it's their house and it's old they have a way they like things done. It's their house so take your shoes off when you come in, clean up after yourself when you use the coffee pot, put the cover back on the hot tub, work with the old plumbing. It's how it is. It's not a new Motel 6 where they have a staff running around. It's just them, actually her, and their house with 3 or 4 rooms to let.
It's a great location for town, the Bay and the park. It was clean and comfortable enough and we had a very pleasant weekend.

Room Tip: The bed in the Starlight room was a bit small for two adults
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank oldjgw
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Our stay at he Abalone Inn was more than I expected. An old house with lots of charm, We felt like we were in a friends home, it felt so comfortable. From the hot tub to the breakfast basket in the morning, to the garden, it was delightful If you want the sterile same old same old..stay at the Motel 6 or Holiday Inn and have breakfast at McDonald's But if you're willing to step out of the box........

it is ...One of a kind, a special place

Peace..........................Joe Smith

Room Tip: This is an old house built I believe before 1900, if you want "all the conveniences" stay...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley
Point Reyes Station Inn
Point Reyes Station Inn
#9 of 15 in Point Reyes Station

Been to Abalone Inn? Share your experiences!