Abalone Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Point Reyes Station
See available hotels
Motel Inverness(Inverness)
Hotel Petaluma(Petaluma)
View Hotel
All reviewsold houseattic suitehot tubthe ownerb bfruitlate in the eveningtomales baybring your ownnegative reviewsnational seashorebeautiful viewdonadonnainvernesssettingmainstream
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Just came back from our stay at Abalone Inn , a charming old farm house in Point Reyes. We stayed in the Attic Suite . It has a beautiful, peaceful view of Tomales Bay. Side windows overlook trees and gardens . The proprietor obviously has a vision of offering alternatives to bland hotels and business suites. Charmingly furnished, with a well equipped kitchen ...and a spacious bathroom . Blessedly t.v. free ... but streaming lovely music, and w/ WiFi available... We loved it ! A hot tub, gardens , which provided fresh fruit, chickens whose eggs appeared in our breakfast basket...

A central location, not far from town , and on the road to the Pt Reyes National Seashore.. we will definitely come back !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank susanna171
Reviewed 20 July 2013

WEIRD. Earning a 2 only because of convenient location. We stayed in the top room, which had I imagine the best views of the bay, but you could only see out of the single window if you were standing--so any kind of relaxing indoors was claustrophobic. We couldn't flush toilet paper, and the sink water was cold...which seemed downright unhygenic. Hot tub was not hot enough to be enjoyable. The road was distractingly loud. Certainly not worth $220. I would go anywhere nearby instead of choosing the Abalone Inn again. (Note: I have only ever given 4s and 5s to lodgings on TripAdvisor--this one was truy sub-par).

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lalflat
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I felt very comfortable, and enjoyed the host very much. She was very friendly, and gave me just the right amount of attention, telling me of local resturants, and places to hike, while also letting me have my privacy. I was also glad she did not require a two night stay, and had a late cancellation due to the weather, that I was able to take advantage of. The rate was very reasonable, and the accomodations very comfortable. I enjoyed the hot tub, and due to the rainy weather, it was a nice way to enjoy being outside. I would definitely put this at the top of the list to stay when I return to the area.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Margo C
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My husband and I went to the 50th anniversary celebration of the Pt. Reyes National Seashore. We live about 90 minutes away and didn't want to drive far after the event so decided in advance to make a weekend out of it. Everywhere we'd been before was completely booked but my husband saw Abalone Inn on the Internet and called. We were lucky to get their last room for that weekend. I remembered the inn from other visits to the area; it is well maintained and very conveniently located to the park, Tomales Bay, hiking trails, Inverness, Pt. Reyes Station, etc.

This inn is actually the home of the proprietors and they do have some rules and standards they want followed such as removing your shoes indoors, cleaning up after yourself in the common areas, etc. The experience reminded me of my travels in Switzerland in my 20's when I stayed at homes that had hung out "Zimmer Frei" (room for rent) signs. You are in someone's home and it is polite and respectful to follow their rules while being a guest in their home. I loved that memory rushing back. The house is over 100 years old and has all the charm and quirkiness of a historic building that you would expect. We found it quiet and cozy.

I would not call Abalone Inn a bed and breakfast because the breakfast they provide is a basket of cold items the night before, not a fresh hot breakfast. That was okay with us since we're not big breakfast people anyway. We had hot coffee and then stopped at the Bumble Bee bakery a short walk from the inn.

To sum it up, this is a lovely place a la Zimmer Frei, convenient, clean and cozy, quiet, friendly. It is not luxurious, but neither is the price. We will be back next time we want to spend a weekend near the water and exploring the beautiful Pt. Reyes peninsula.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruth J
Reviewed 18 October 2012

While the woman was kind and the old house was quirky and beautiful, I had to write this for people to know in advance. there is no hot breakfast here, simply a basket, which apparently can be given to you the night before, which consists of a Activa yogurt, a muffin, a hardboiled egg, and an apple. I might be leaving one item out that I can't remember. I know comparatively this B & B is cheaper than most, but the breakfast is well, half the luxury of a bed and breakfast. I could have bought these items in gas station as I left the next day...I never write reviews and I feel a little bad because the woman was nice, but I think people should know this before they go here.

• Stayed: October 2012