“This is perhaps the worst place I have stayed in the world”
Review of Abalone Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Point Reyes Station
Abalone Inn
Aptos, California
“This is perhaps the worst place I have stayed in the world”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I understand that recent visitors have had a good experience but it has not been mine. I stayed in the back room with noise (love making) from the upstairs, no heat and complete and utter freezing cold to the bathroom which required toilet paper to be deposited in the waste can rather than flushed. This may be ok for urination but not for feces. The worst part was an unwise recommendation to walk in the dark to what was said to be a "short walk" to the deli to get a sandwich. There was a ditch and I severely sprained my ankle, unable to see it. It took five months to recover. Owners indignant. There was supposed to be help with luggage which there was on the way in but not with it easily on the way out. Not my cup of tea. Funky, great. Also dirty. The negative factors greatly outweighed the positive.

Room Tip: have no idea
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Helen M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
san francisco
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The inn was the perfect place to end a long bike ride--a hot tub set in the lovely gardens surrounding the inn and a room looking out over the gardens and the surrounding fields. The inn keeper was charming and welcoming and the inn located a very short bike ride from Pt. Reyes Station. My daughter and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank albathion
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Just came back from our stay at Abalone Inn , a charming old farm house in Point Reyes. We stayed in the Attic Suite . It has a beautiful, peaceful view of Tomales Bay. Side windows overlook trees and gardens . The proprietor obviously has a vision of offering alternatives to bland hotels and business suites. Charmingly furnished, with a well equipped kitchen ...and a spacious bathroom . Blessedly t.v. free ... but streaming lovely music, and w/ WiFi available... We loved it ! A hot tub, gardens , which provided fresh fruit, chickens whose eggs appeared in our breakfast basket...

A central location, not far from town , and on the road to the Pt Reyes National Seashore.. we will definitely come back !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank susanna171
new york, NY
Reviewed 20 July 2013

WEIRD. Earning a 2 only because of convenient location. We stayed in the top room, which had I imagine the best views of the bay, but you could only see out of the single window if you were standing--so any kind of relaxing indoors was claustrophobic. We couldn't flush toilet paper, and the sink water was cold...which seemed downright unhygenic. Hot tub was not hot enough to be enjoyable. The road was distractingly loud. Certainly not worth $220. I would go anywhere nearby instead of choosing the Abalone Inn again. (Note: I have only ever given 4s and 5s to lodgings on TripAdvisor--this one was truy sub-par).

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lalflat

Travellers are raving about these Point Reyes Station hotels

Winters, California, United States
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I felt very comfortable, and enjoyed the host very much. She was very friendly, and gave me just the right amount of attention, telling me of local resturants, and places to hike, while also letting me have my privacy. I was also glad she did not require a two night stay, and had a late cancellation due to the weather, that I was able to take advantage of. The rate was very reasonable, and the accomodations very comfortable. I enjoyed the hot tub, and due to the rainy weather, it was a nice way to enjoy being outside. I would definitely put this at the top of the list to stay when I return to the area.

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Margo C
Sebastopol, California
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My husband and I went to the 50th anniversary celebration of the Pt. Reyes National Seashore. We live about 90 minutes away and didn't want to drive far after the event so decided in advance to make a weekend out of it. Everywhere we'd been before was completely booked but my husband saw Abalone Inn on the Internet and called. We were lucky to get their last room for that weekend. I remembered the inn from other visits to the area; it is well maintained and very conveniently located to the park, Tomales Bay, hiking trails, Inverness, Pt. Reyes Station, etc.

This inn is actually the home of the proprietors and they do have some rules and standards they want followed such as removing your shoes indoors, cleaning up after yourself in the common areas, etc. The experience reminded me of my travels in Switzerland in my 20's when I stayed at homes that had hung out "Zimmer Frei" (room for rent) signs. You are in someone's home and it is polite and respectful to follow their rules while being a guest in their home. I loved that memory rushing back. The house is over 100 years old and has all the charm and quirkiness of a historic building that you would expect. We found it quiet and cozy.

I would not call Abalone Inn a bed and breakfast because the breakfast they provide is a basket of cold items the night before, not a fresh hot breakfast. That was okay with us since we're not big breakfast people anyway. We had hot coffee and then stopped at the Bumble Bee bakery a short walk from the inn.

To sum it up, this is a lovely place a la Zimmer Frei, convenient, clean and cozy, quiet, friendly. It is not luxurious, but neither is the price. We will be back next time we want to spend a weekend near the water and exploring the beautiful Pt. Reyes peninsula.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth J
San Francisco
Reviewed 18 October 2012

While the woman was kind and the old house was quirky and beautiful, I had to write this for people to know in advance. there is no hot breakfast here, simply a basket, which apparently can be given to you the night before, which consists of a Activa yogurt, a muffin, a hardboiled egg, and an apple. I might be leaving one item out that I can't remember. I know comparatively this B & B is cheaper than most, but the breakfast is well, half the luxury of a bed and breakfast. I could have bought these items in gas station as I left the next day...I never write reviews and I feel a little bad because the woman was nice, but I think people should know this before they go here.

• Stayed October 2012
#5 of 15 in Point Reyes Station
Point Reyes Hostel
Point Reyes Hostel
#1 of 2 in Point Reyes Station

Been to Abalone Inn? Share your experiences!