“I'm picky”

Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups
Pomona, California
“I'm picky”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Great dining is hard to find in the SouthLand. Mostly it's over-priced, flavorless, and noisy--the restaurants are noisy, not the food. (I'm from San Francisco; I'm spoiled.) Sanamluang Cafe, however, is amazing Thai food. And it's only 3 blocks from my house! Ok, so Pomona is the LAST place I'd go looking for quality food--believe me, I live here. Being a spoiled San Francisco ex-pat (NOT Frisco!), I'm used to the best tasting and freshest ingredients possible, especially with Asian cuisine. The food is tasty, well-prepared (not overcooked), fresh, and well ... just yummy. I would complain about the slow service, but given that the place is packed everytime I go, I'll let it slide. I just call in for take out, pick it up, and away I go. I don't know if they take reservations, but if they do, I'd say it's a requirement. Lunchtime is almost impossible to get seating. That's how good they are. Usually, I'd say that kind of popularity is a fad, but it's largely family or white collar workers dining there, so I'm hoping they're around for awhile.

• Visited February 2014

Atlanta, Georgia
“Curry didn't have coconut milk”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I love thai food and every time I go to a new place, I try my all-time favorite Panang curry. The one at the Sanamluang cafe was very different from what I usually get. It didn't have any coconut milk and was rather watery, like a soup. It also was pretty spicy. It did taste alright, but I can't say I was satisfied.
Also, the rice was not included in the price, one orders it separately.

Finally, I didn't particularly like plastic plates, some of which were damaged, dusty walls, and a constantly crying baby.

Ok at best.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank amishka
San Antonio
“Best little Thai cafe, period.”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have had lunch here for many years. I have also eaten in many Thai cafes. This one is by far the best. My favorite dish, garlic pork spare rib. no one does this dish better. Spicy Catfish is hot & spicy. Unlike many other spicy dishes, this one has so many wonderful flavors that are not masked by the heat. Even a simple stir fried mixed vegetable dish is full of somokey flavor. You can see and smell the steam and smoke when they drop the veggies in the really hot wok in the kitchen. Since they are taken out right away the veggies maintain their crunch and freshness.Saute'd Chinese Broccoli with deep fried pork belly is another simple dish that no one does better. Fried bananas and fried taro are very good. I have tried majority of the menu over a period of years. Not been disappointed yet. Food preparation & freshness has been so consistent over the years. When in SoCal, I find some way to eat lunch here when I can.

• Visited April 2013
Los Angeles, California
“As Thai as Thailand”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My employment forces me to travel and eat out on average 4 days a week, every meal, for the past decade or so. If there is a Thai restaurant around, I will usually make my way in to check it out. I have been to Thailand more than 20 times for business and along with a few others I have tried west of the Mississippi, Sanam Luang is similar in flavor to what you get at the good restaurants or on the street in Thailand, i.e. a place where Thai people eat and NOT the places catering to foreign tourists. That said, I have been to Sanam Luang about a dozen times and every time, with whatever we get, I and whoever I am with have left happy and full.

• Visited April 2013
Helendale, California
“Used to be one of the best. Now, eh, okay.”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Sanam Luang Cafe used to be one of the best Thai restaurants in the area. Prices were a bit higher than the other places, but the quality was well worth it. Today's visit was very disappointing. We had 4 dishes, and none of them were up to our expectations. Most seemed to be on the dry side and a bit over cooked. Service was still good and quick, and the portions were a nice size.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank GreggL14

Been to Sanamluang Cafe? Share your experiences!