“A Mexican bakery with old-style restaurant, muy bien!”
Review of El Merendero

El Merendero
Ranked #6 of 226 Restaurants in Pomona
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Seating is casual with mostly long tables. The menu was varied, but we only tried the shrimp cocktail, tostadas and enchiladas which everyone enjoyed. If you haven't tried Mexican shrimp cocktail, I recommend it. The bakery is adjacent to the dining area and smells delicious! I bought several different breads and pastries, all were fresh and tasty. My Mexican friend ordered and conversed in Spanish which helped our service. She has discriminating taste and gave El Merendero's her stamp of approval!

1  Thank Brenda B

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

This place has promise, if the waitress stop walking by the people who don"t speak Spanish. By avoiding them this is real sad! This is our first visit there. So as for my complaint another patrion complaine about his waitress service and told the casher. I spoke with the casher and told her l had to flag down another waitress to get chips and water. We waited 45 minutes at our table. I told the casher we would be back and see if their any changes. Service sucks they did nothing to compensate us for our trouble. We won't be back. Hope they clean up there act.

2  Thank sandlion
Reviewed 9 February 2014

El Merendero epitomizes casual snacking and brunching on family-style Mexican Food. This long-time Downtown Pomona restaurant has been a favorite for generations. The name to me from the Spanish indicates you sort of casually 'meander' inside and get what you need, Sonoran-style, to make it through the stretch of the day between brunch and supper.

The Merendero includes one of the most famous and best-stocked Mexican panaderias, or bakery, between East L.A. and Tucson. Its OK to bring your delicious pastries from the bakery to your table before ordering your meal. Parking is usually adequate. The staff is really friendly and the same family has operated El Marendero for decades. The restrooms are clean. Its also adjacent to Pomona's intriguing Antique Row of interesting shops. Merendero's food is served briskly, despite the casual atmosphere. My ceviche tostada was perfect with an entire juicy, sliced lime on the side served with perfect, fluffy rice and plenty of tossed greens. There are many Mexican beers to choose from. All dishes are reasonably priced.

Bottom line: Its sure worth it to avoid freeways sometimes and you can do so in Downtown Pomona and stop in at one of the community's favorite restaurants. Careful, it can be crowded… and It didn't get such a high TripAdvisor ranking for nothing! I highly recommend El Merendero.

2  Thank MonkeyOnTheWing
Reviewed 14 October 2013

absolutely loved el merendero in old pomona and the bakery; huge apple tarts 69cents...wow; loved the ceviche and breakfast..too.. get the jalapeno potatoes mc super nice people to

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We always look for where the locals go and were very pleasantly surprised with our dinner. The menu was extensive, the service delightful, the food delicious and plentiful, and the price was right. We will definitely return on our next trip to Pomona.

Been to El Merendero? Share your experiences!