“Overall okay”

Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Port Hueneme
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The hotel is located in a sketchy area so be careful when walking across the street for food. The rooms were big and clean but the run-down elevator made a bad early impression. The shower was very weak and poorly lit. Breakfast was fine if you like to load up on carbs. The protein option (bacon and, alternately, sausage was only lukewarm). Fresh fruit alternated between green bananas and a basket of apples and oranges. Ironically Dole uses the port just a few blocks down the street. On the plus side, this was the quietest hotel I can remember staying in. Must be due to the large military clientele.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank allefe
Ruben F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear allefe,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with us.We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I reviewed this hotel very favorably when it was part of a different hotel chain so I did not hesitate to book here again 4 years later. By now it is a Holiday Inn Express and sadly my experience this time was far from great. I booked it online ahead of time and requested a pet-friendly room as I was traveling with my two small dogs. When I checked in I got surprise, resentment, and finally grudging acceptance of the fact that I had my dogs with me. They charged me $100 nonrefundable pet deposit (on an already ridiculously over-priced for the property room), plus an additional $35 dollars a day. Bear in mind my dogs weight combined is less than 30 lbs, they are house-trained and non-shedding - so how much damage could they do. She then told me she'd put me in a room near the side entrance and I was only to take my dogs in and out thru that door. Please note, other dog-friendly hotels (mostly Marriott properties) I've stayed at, have been very nice and encouraged me to take my dogs thru the lobby. When I got to my room it was large - but that was it's only good feature. It was dark - everything was brown from the carpet to the ugly wallpaper in the bathroom. I was actually pretty upset because they were already charging me way more than I'd paid at really nice Marriott Residence Inns, Towne Place Suites and Springhill Suites during my 10-days of traveling.

On my previous visit at this hotel (4 years earlier) the hot breakfast buffet had been a highlight -serving something different every day with a cook clearly in view and happy to prepare eggs how you liked them. This time it was just the sad sad Holiday Inn Express cheapo breakfast of disgusting scrambled eggs and stale bagels and the obligatory waffle machine. Even the coffee was disgusting.

I make no secret of the fact that I always prefer to stay at Marriot properties and am rarely disappointed in them (though I am on occasion) but they just offer so much more for the same cost (or often less) than Holiday Inn Express. It's not just the very basic, or sometimes downright ugly rooms, it's the attitude of the staff at the Holiday Inn Express. I never feel like they're pleased to see me - only that I'm barely tolerated (and that is when I'm traveling without my dogs). I usually only stay at them because it's the only thing available in the area or because my employer has a special price with them.

If they are going to continue to charge what they do for an ugly room, bad treatment of guests and sad breakfasts, they need to reinvest some of their profits on property upgrades and staff training. Oh, and some decent coffee.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lynluke
Ruben F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Lynluke,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with us. We apologize for your
inconvience during your stay.We take great pride in providing the best service possible.We
value the opinions of our guests as they measure the level of service we strive to provide.

General manager

Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and I live here on the beach and my family came to stay this past weekend and chose to stay here! It was a GREAT choice, not only is it just 5 minutes or less to walk to our place but it is just so clean and quiet. They have snacks in the afternoon that are free of charge and also breakfast in the mornings. I was able to spend quality time with my family at the hotel and at my condo. They will definitely be back again :D

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MrsAndrews07
Ruben F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear MrsAndrews07,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with us. We are pleased you were able to experience all the many things we have to offer here at the Holiday inn Express.
We look forward to seeing you very soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed here the night of Thanksgiving on my way up to Avila Bay. I made a good choice. The staff is always very professional at HIX's and my service dog and I were given a ground floor room near an exit which was appreciated. Their morning breakfast was very nice and well stocked. I was disappointed that it rained on and off for the 15 hours I was there, so not good beach walking weather. Of course on Thanksgiving it was quiet, but I enjoyed the absence of traffic. As always, good quality bedding and bathroom amenities were there to enjoy. I would go back here for sure!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank OldDutch57
Ruben F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear OldDutch57,

Thank you for sharing your great comments regarding your stay.We are happy that you were able to enjoy the many things we have to offer here at the hotel. We are sorry it rained during your stay. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is an awesome hotel. We had a quick and easy check-in process. After gathering our thing from the car we used the bellman cart to take out thing up to the room. When we entered the room it was exactly like the pictures in the photos. We had a two queen bedroom with the view of the parking lot which allowed use to keep an eye on the car. The beds were comfortable and each bed had 4 pillows with 2 pillowcases that had "soft" and "firm", I choose the 2 soft pillows. The TV was a nice size and all the hookups one may need for a video game or a Google Chromecast. There was also a microwave and micofridge that was a great bonus. The bathroom was nice and roomy. The only drawback was that the shower didn't have a closeable door and when taking a shower the floor would get wet. The shower had 3-4 settings and for the first time I've been in a hotel where the shower head was adjustable to my height (6'). The breakfast was good and the cinnamon rolls are a must have. They hotel also provides a little snack in the evening consisting of cheese and nachos, pretzels, and drinks (no liquor though). The area of the hotel is nice and there is a Subway, Wendy's, and Liquor store directly across the street which is in walking distance. If you like walking and taking in the soothing sun the beach is in walking distance of the hotel. But if you have kid like me and rather drive than walk it is a short distance. There is a parking fee of $2 for an hour and it goes up from there. I will stay here again with no hesitation. The staff is amazing and super friendly. Great place, great people, great time, and lasting memories.

1  Thank King Y
Ruben F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear YUKEY717,

Thank you you for taking the time and sharing your great comments about the Holiday Inn Express and the many things we have to offer. We look forward to seeing you in the very near future.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I grew up in Port Hueneme and recently spent a week there. This hotel is a short 5 minutes walk to a great beach, with a pier, paved walking paths and a place to eat with tables facing the ocean. We had a room on the top floor, the 3rd, that was about halfway down one wing and facing the front of the hotel. We clearly heard people talking outside, luggage carts on wheels being pulled across red brick paving and traffic on the street. The hotel is on the corner of Hueneme Rd and Ventura Rd; Hueneme Rd leads to the Port just a few blocks down, so there is some heavy truck traffic. We didn't turn on the a/c or fan for the first few nights - the weather was perfect - but turned on the fan the last night, which effectively drowned out all outside noise. Our room was across from the ice machine, which made lots of noise. Since I don't think the hotel was full, I was surprised that they would assign us a room in a less than ideal location (and that's the main reason I didn't give 5 stars). Also, across the street is a Wendy's, pizza place, a small mini-mart and a café. The breakfast in the hotel was very good - hot pancakes, sausage or bacon, and a lot more.

Room Tip: Back side rooms might get less noise from sounds in the parking lot.

Dear GarySsss,

We thank you for sharing your experience with us. We at The Holiday Inn Express value the opinion of all our guests.We look forward to servicing your future needs.Once again we thank you for your stay.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Recently we spent two nights at this hotel visiting family in the area. Overall stay was adequate, with clean sheets-but the rooom smelled faintly of cigarette smoke (as did our clothing and suitcases once we left) even though it was maked clearly as a "non smoking room." It did not pass what my sister calles "the hair behind the door test," which means I glanced behind the bathroom door and saw a long brown piece of hair that didn't belong to anyone in our party...looks like they missed sweeping. Free coctails are a plus, there were chips and nacho cheese available for free also. Breakfast highlight for the kids was a pancake machine! Proximity to the beach is a plus, but we were unable to get cell service inside the building and there was a charge for wi-fi which was a negative. Pretty pricey, would have been better if we'd rented a beach condo from a local owner on VRBO.

Room Tip: Double check for true non smoking rooms-if it's marked non smoking on the door and in the room...
1  Thank Marilyn d
Ruben F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Marilyn d,

Thank you for talking the time and sharing your comments with us. We appreciate feedback from all our valued guests, as this is the best source for improving our service. We apologize for the issues you experienced with us. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Ruben Franco.

Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Inn at Oxnard
Inn at Oxnard
#10 of 14 in Oxnard

Been to Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme? Share your experiences!