“Nice, clean hotel right near the navy base.”

Casa Via Mar Inn and Tennis Club
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Port Hueneme
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

This is a nice place to stay near the base, the rooms are very clean and the pool area is quite nice. The bed was a little small in the standard room, but overall for the price it was a great deal. The beach area is only about five minutes away and there are lots of places nearby to eat and shop. The office is pretty busy and only one person runs it, so it took a while to get checked in (like 30 minutes) but that wasn't the guest service clerk's fault. Overall this is a good pick if you are in the area

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank jwessma
There are newer reviews for Casa Via Mar Inn and Tennis Club

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We ended up here for one night after bidding on Priceline. The lowest price in the area suggested by Priceline is about $30 more per night than the standard rate charged by the hotel. Hence, although my bid was lower than the lowest suggested by Priceline we still ended up paying about $20 more than we would have paid had we booked directly with the hotel so I am not impressed by Priceline in this instance.

Location: easy to find and within walking distance of a few restaurants.

Check-in: we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who quickly checked us in.

Room: this is truly a blast from the past experience complete with a lack of flat screen TV! The color scheme is 70s but the room is very large, clean and has two comfortable armchairs. The bed was comfortable too. A huge problem for me was that the shower head is very low. It was level with my shoulders and I am only 5'11".

Breakfast: the breakfast is supposed to have French toast, pancakes, donuts, muffins amongst other things. We turned up at 8.30 on a Saturday and there was no French toast, no muffins, no donuts and several other items were missing too.

Other: the hotel has a nice pool area and my wife enjoyed a swim in the evening. There are a few tennis courts too and they look like they are in good condition.

Overall: I would possibly stay here again if I'm in the area but I would certainly not use Priceline to bid for hotels in this area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This hotel is located off a boulevard. There are shops, restaurants, banks (ATMs), petrol stations nearby. The decor is old (perhaps from 1980s) but it didn't matter to us. We booked a room with 2 Queen beds and there were 3 of us. Each queen bed isn't really big enough for 2 adults and so we should have really got 1 King bed and 1 extra bed. The receptionist kindly upgraded us to a room with a kitchenette free of charge. The breakfast was satisfactory (scrambled eggs, cereal, toast, pastries, coffee, tea, milk, orange juice). There are also some very nice tennis courts which we did not use as we were just stopping here for the night on our road trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles. All in all, I would recommend this place. We paid £57 (we reserved through a UK website) for the night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jezlinhotravels
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here recently based on reviews and the very decent price. With a couple of kids, we wanted something spacious at a reasonable price because it was a quick road trip stopover. We got exactly that.

The room was huge. Sure, it's dated, but clean and had everything we needed. Because it's an older place, the soundproofing was great. The staff were very friendly, and there's a great little Mexican restaurant right next to the hotel. A decent hot breakfast was included, and they had free donuts, coffee and juice in the office all day plus a happy hour each afternoon with super cheap drinks (I think $1 each?).

We hit the swimming pool, and guess what? Heated saltwater pool! Bonus! The kids had a blast and managed to burn off some energy.

An added bonus - it's within a 2 minute drive to a harbor area with very nice restaurants, and with a 5 minute drive to all other amenities that you might need - groceries, etc.

In short, this is not Ritz Carlton, but it's definitely very good value for money in a safe area. Perfect for what we needed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank longday1
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Do not be fooled by the name, this property is an old-school motel. It is like being time-traveled back to the 1960s. There are some tennis courts at the back of the property, but I'm guessing that there is no actual tennis club.

Pros: The property is old, but reasonably well-maintained. The staff does a very nice job of keeping the motel clean. They offer a free breakfast: I didn't try it, but other people seemed pleased with it. There is ample free parking and complimentary coffee and donuts, as well as tea, cocoa and juice, available in the office. The staff was friendly.

Cons: The property is old and there is simply no disguising that fact. No matter how clean you make an old room, it is still old. It smells old. Old furnishings, old carpet, old bath fixtures. Bedding had holes in it, only one small pillow. The TV is an old CRT model from at least the 80s. There is no safe in the room, so if you have valuables take them with you. All rooms open to the outside. The area is kind of rundown and maybe not that safe at night.

We traveled with my grandson, who is too young to stay in a separate room alone. The motel has no roll-aways available and no extra bedding. I had to go to the store and buy an air mattress and bedding for him. So, if you have kids plan ahead or book more rooms.

In fairness, the property is generally well-reviewed and people staying there during my visit seemed to like things well-enough. It is not for me, though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Before I booked my room here. I read all the reviews from previous guest. It has everything you need for thr price.Good location, clean rooms, friendly check in. Breakfast was included with room rate. Overall very happy. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank cristal828
Reviewed 25 May 2014

There are newer, nicer chain places in the area but this has the vibe of laid back CA. It's clean and friendly. The jacuzzi was perfect after a day out on the Channel Islands and the area was quiet and convenient to pier. Family member thought the late night folks were sketchy but I didn't notice any problems. Near naval base. Clean but old. Steps would be a challenge for handicapped.

Room Tip: if handicapped, ask for a ground level
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Hueneme
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme
Best Western Oxnard Inn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach

Been to Casa Via Mar Inn and Tennis Club? Share your experiences!