“Mistaken identity”

Casa Via Mar Inn and Tennis Club
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Port Hueneme
“Mistaken identity”
Reviewed 1 July 2004

I just read the intensely negative review of the Casa Via Mar MOTEL and was dismayed to hear such comments. Casa Via Mar MOTEL is a quaint, comfortable place to relax. There are 6 wonderful tennis courts, an enticing pool, and an efficient staff willing to make their guests feel welcomed. Casa Via Mar MOTEL is a perfect fit for the coastal community of Port Hueneme. Is it an Embassy Suites or Marriott HOTEL? An emphatic NO, it is not. Casa Via Mar MOTEL is not a chain hotel. It has its own personal identity. Casa Via Mar MOTEL has a keen sense of ambiance, knitted together with the small town atmosphere, creating a pleasureable experience. My parents have stayed there and have always enjoyed the added amenities such as the complimentary doughnuts, juice, and newspapers readily available in the lobby. Breakfasts are cooked to your taste and a large selection of family videos for in-room viewing are available. We've never visited during "Happy Hour," but that's another "perk" of staying at this unique motel.
Obviously, the other guest did not want what Casa Via Mar MOTEL offered in the environment for which it was intended. Isn't it great that there was an Embassy Suites HOTEL so close to service guests such as himself?

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed 11 February 2004

My husband and I stayed at Casa Via Mar over the Labor Day weekend 2003. We had a very pleasant stay. Our daughter is in the Navy and her home port is Port Hueneme. Casa Via Mar is located very close to the base and was very convient for us. Our flight to LA was delayed at our home airport and we were very late checking into the Inn. We were not charged for any part of that day. The desk clerk was very helpful and made what could have been a very difficult check in very easy. My husband and I were sleeping peacefully within thirty minutes of arriving at the Inn. The breakfast served was worth the walk. The room was large, clean, and nicely furnished. In the future we will book again if we get to visit with our Sailor Girl while she is at home port.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 July 2003

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE BOOKING THIS PROPERTY! ! !I have never before in my life (professional or otherwise) had a more disturbing or horrendous experience with a service provider as I had with the Casa Via Mar Hotel and Tennis Club. Do not let the name fool you, this is a low budget motel. My wife and I booked the rooms after reviewing the internet site, and I can assure you that you do not get what you expect. The "hotel" has no air conditioning, outside room access (a la Motel 6) and the rudest staff I have ever met. The location is about 2 miles from any water, so far in fact that my wife and I turned around two times thinking that we must have missed it. When we finally did arrive we met the desk clerk (Brenda Boggs). I use her name here only in the hopes that the hotel owner sees it and understands the severity of her attitude problem. When I asked to preview the room, she allowed me a taste of the hotel experience. The room was hideous, dirty, hot, and located amongst neighbors that had their doors open, drinking beer, and carrousing loudly. When I returned to the desk and asked about the air conditioning, she yelled at me and told me that she wanted me "off her property" due to my attitude problem. She actually threatened me with forceful eviction. My reaction. . . I was relieved. As an attorney I knew that her refusal to provide me a room eliminated her chance of charging me a cancellation fee. We exchanged more words when she refused to return my credit card information, and it took my wife's "staged pleading" to get it back. The moment was highlighted when Brenda ran out to my car as we were driving away screaming that I was an *** and that "she felt sorry for my wife". Do yourselves a BIG FAVOR. Drive past the Casa Via Mar and head down two miles to the Embassy Suites. We did, and had the time of our lives at this lush property. I had such a horrible experience that I will take the time over the next week to write the hotel owners, AAA for the posted recommendation, and any friends in the area such that this experience is made known. I am sure that Brenda remembers me, so feel free to call the hotel and ask her to explain her behavior. Travel sanely, stay away from this hotel/motel! ! ! ! !

32 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Best Western Oxnard Inn
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo

Been to Casa Via Mar Inn and Tennis Club? Share your experiences!