“Great hotel, not so great location”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Porterville
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Porterville
Reviewed 9 August 2010

As far as the hotel itself, I have no complaints. It was clean, staff was friendly, beds were comfortable and complimentary breakfast was good. The main reason for this post is to let people know of its location. I chose this hotel because it was within driving distance of our destination, the Sequoia Ntl Park. The only reason I would not return to this hotel is because of its surroundings and not because of the hotel itself. Other than the Burger King across the street, there is NOTHING in this area. The entire area seems to be a farming town, so the smell of cattle is all we smelled while we were there. We drove to the nearby town of Visalia to eat at a nice Olive Garden. If I go to this area again, I would just save the drive time and stay in Visalia. It seemed like a fairly updated place with nice restaurants and still within 30-45 minutes from Sequoia Natl. Park.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 June 2010

We stayed 2 nights as part of a 19 day fly/drive vacation from the UK. We used it as a base to visit Sequoia National Park and King's Canyon (both are a must!). It had everything we needed. It's a new hotel and everything is to a high standard. Rooms, although not massive, are ideal and the hotel has a good quality fitness center, laundry facilities, a great pool and hot tub and the breakfast was very good. Only slight drawback is that there is a Walmart distribution center access road to the rear of the hotel, which can get a bit nosiey with the trucks, but personally, even though our room was to the rear, it did not bother us.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank twoteapots
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express based on Tripadvisor recommendations. What a surprise!
Even though it's in the middle of not much, the hotel was clean and delightful. I did have an issue with pigeons in the AM and when I brought the problem to the hotel's attention it was taken care of at once. The breakfast was lovely and the pool clean and inviting.
I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (I'm a 4+ star traveler) however for the price and value I am putting this chain on my list. Great hotel!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank 4kona
GMHIEXPorterville, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Porterville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2010

I am so glad that you enjoyed our hotel and we are honored to be praised by a 4 star traveler. We appreciate you bringing to our attention the problem with the “early birds” (pigeons), so we could take care of that for you. I hope that next time you’re in town you come see us again. Thank you again for the kind words and giving us the opportunity to make your stay a great one. Thank you! Aimee Johnson, Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 20 April 2010

Great place to stay. We stayed here for four nights. Everything was very clean. We were very comfortable staying here. We had 3 large rooms. We had my wife, my mother, my mother-in-law and niece and there were no problems. Several more members of our family stayed for several nights and the hotel is very accommodating. We all gathered in the breakfast room and were able to use that room to visit whenever we wished. Breakfast was good. It sure beat everyone going out to meet someplace in the morning. The staff was friendly helpful and kind. My mother is handicapped and did everything to make her comfortable. We really enjoyed staying here. Thank you, thank you!!

Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Buscobob1

Thank you for posting such nice comments on our Hotel. I can tell you the pleasure was ours! We enjoyed your family and I am thrilled to know that everyone was comfortable and had a great time. Thank you for allowing us to accommodate your friends and family for your big day. Best wishes to you and yours. Thank you again! Aimee Johnson, Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 20 April 2010

We were visiting friends close-by. We found this HI comfortable and convenient. Despite it being full of overnighters and close to the highway and Wal-Mart distribution center, it was surprisingly quiet. Our sleep was never disturbed in the 3 nights we spent there.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
GMHIEXPorterville, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Porterville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2010

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Its always nice to visit friends and get some much needed rest and we were happy to be part of that. Thank you for taking the time to comment on our property and we hope next time your visiting you stay with us again.- Aimee Johnson, Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 31 August 2009

I came to Porterville for a memorial service, and the staff was incredibly helpful. Maclovia Venegas went beyond the call of duty in helping me in the business center. Ashlee Kelley was very helpful regarding a housekeeping request.
The motel is very well-decorated, with granite, natural stone, beautiful carpets, and super-comfy beds. You can't ask for a cleaner room or a better-maintained pool area. There's a well-equipped gym. The complimentary breakfast includes eggs, sausage, pastries, juices, yogurt, etc. etc.
If I ever return to Porterville, I will only stay in this motel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank antugel
GMHIEXPorterville, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Porterville, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2009

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff. We appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge the staff and the hotel. It always makes the staff feel good when someone cares enough mention them. It means so much! We look forward to seeing you again someday. Thank you again and take care! Aimee Johnson- Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 17 August 2009

Triple sheets, granite counter tops, friendly staff and reasonable price, what more could you want? Great stop on the way out of Sequoia Nat'l Park. Very clean, and a great night sleep. Generous breakfast, too.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank discerningmom

Thanks for noticing! We love our hotel and we take great pride in taking care of it. It is always nice when someone notices the little touches in the décor and our great staff. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit. Thank you! Aimee Johnson Guest Services Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Porterville
Best Western Porterville Inn
Comfort Suites
#3 of 14 in Visalia
Americas Best Value Inn - Porterville
Best Western Town & Country Lodge

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Porterville? Share your experiences!