We went for just a night as a much needed break, and my husband booked it as a surprise. The room we stayed in was the Mad Cow (I think) and it was decorated in a funky and slightly outrageous style, with huge murals of cows and retro furnishings. The room was clean, comfortable and very well equipped. The bed was so comfortable that we barely managed to get into breakfast in time! I was worried about being so close to the road but the windows were double glazed and there were very thick velvet curtains which helped. We had a pretty good dinner in the dining room downstairs, but to be honest I remember the food less than the clientele. I don't know if we were 'lucky' but there was a rather amazing international cross section of guests which we couldn't help but be slightly fascinated by. The wine was excellent and the service was very good too. The food was good and portions large but nothing was particularly outstanding. I would agree that the stairs and some public areas could do with a good clean, but the owners were helpful and friendly and we would go again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bull Inn is not a B&B, it’s not hotel, but it is an award-winning boutique and quirky modern day coaching Inn, located near Mildenhall, Bury St Edmunds and Newmarket in the picturesque county of Suffolk. The Inn and its dedicated owners simply radiate character, style and an eccentric passion, which is simply infectious to all those who visit. Think funky and fresh within an amazing 500 year old coaching inn. The owners have created 15 individually designed boutique bedrooms, a 1 AA Rosette Restaurant, cosy pub with great wines, real ales and an open log fire for those cold winter evenings. There is also a fantastic courtyard to while away many a summer's day with family and friends. Improvement and refurbishment never ends at The Bull, with the passionate owners always seeking and trying new, exciting and sometimes crazy ideas! The Bull has a whole wall of accolades to boast including "Best Small Hotel in Suffolk," "Best Freehouse in East Anglia" and "Best Sunday Lunch" to mention a few and the whole business simply oozes character and a unique charm created by the hands-on owners. The team work hard to host events throughout the year, from live music nights, murder mystery dinners, charity evenings, themed Christmas parties and lunches with Santa. This unique destination inn is located in the picturesque village of Barton Mills, just 2 miles from Mildenhall. Barton Mills is just on the edge of Thetford Forest with the towns of Bury St Edmunds, Ely, Cambridge and Newmarket all within a short drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and LateRooms so you can book your The Bull Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Olde Bull Hotel Barton Mills
- The Bull Inn Barton Mills, Mildenhall