After a few stressful months, my wife and I just wanted a bit of time on our own...away from the kids for a few days. The fact that we have three kids means that we don't have too much money to spend on luxuries! We found The Old Bull Inn online and it sounded very reasonably priced and looked quite nice, so we booked it for a couple of nights.
Upon arrival the place looked as quaint as it did in the pictures, so it seemed like a good start. When we checked in we were pleasantly surprised with the way the staff were. They seemed like a fun bunch, and they just made us feel quite relaxed. Our room was really nicely decorated and well set out ,and had pretty much everything you would expect. The bed was a bit bigger than we're used to aswell, so that was a bonus.
We went down for dinner that evening, and started with a drink in the bar. The bar had apparently been fairly recently renovated, and it did look very up market. The food we had was absolutely first class, and the service was to boot.
The next day we ventured into Newmarket and then Cambridge to experience a bit of horse racing history and student life. We quite liked Newmarket, so we decided to venture there again that evening for dinner. Whilst it was quite nice, we wish we'd stayed in our hotel!
All in all, the time we had here was great...very chilled, relaxing and romantic. I thank the staff there, as it was them who made it the way it was for us! Well done in creating such a nice atmosphere...we will definitely be going again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bull Inn is not a B&B, it’s not hotel, but it is an award-winning boutique and quirky modern day coaching Inn, located near Mildenhall, Bury St Edmunds and Newmarket in the picturesque county of Suffolk. The Inn and its dedicated owners simply radiate character, style and an eccentric passion, which is simply infectious to all those who visit. Think funky and fresh within an amazing 500 year old coaching inn. The owners have created 15 individually designed boutique bedrooms, a 1 AA Rosette Restaurant, cosy pub with great wines, real ales and an open log fire for those cold winter evenings. There is also a fantastic courtyard to while away many a summer's day with family and friends. Improvement and refurbishment never ends at The Bull, with the passionate owners always seeking and trying new, exciting and sometimes crazy ideas! The Bull has a whole wall of accolades to boast including "Best Small Hotel in Suffolk," "Best Freehouse in East Anglia" and "Best Sunday Lunch" to mention a few and the whole business simply oozes character and a unique charm created by the hands-on owners. The team work hard to host events throughout the year, from live music nights, murder mystery dinners, charity evenings, themed Christmas parties and lunches with Santa. This unique destination inn is located in the picturesque village of Barton Mills, just 2 miles from Mildenhall. Barton Mills is just on the edge of Thetford Forest with the towns of Bury St Edmunds, Ely, Cambridge and Newmarket all within a short drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, getaroom.com and LateRooms so you can book your The Bull Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Olde Bull Hotel Barton Mills
- The Bull Inn Barton Mills, Mildenhall