“Decent food, ungracious service”
Review of Poway Sushi Lounge

Poway Sushi Lounge
Ranked #2 of 128 Restaurants in Poway
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
California
“Decent food, ungracious service”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was our first visit here, the restaurant was recommended by a friend. Right off the bat, the food is not as fresh as other seafood places we have been to, the California roll had a somewhat fishy smell. Fresh seafood does not smell. My husband and I both had the bento box, which we love and it was fine. The issue was with the service.

The restaurant was not crowded and we were eating at a normal pace , yet the waitress came over four times asking if everything was all right, in a phony friendly voice. Once is sufficient, four times is simply annoying. After the fourth time asking: is everything STILL all right, I was ready to smack her in the head with the plate. What does that phrase mean? Well, to me, it means , you're STILL not finished eating, hurry up. It is simply rude. People don't go out to eat to swallow it down as fast as possible and run out. And a 40 minute lunch, from ordering to paying the bill is not excessive. Unfortunately, this is a phrase you will now hear in many restaurants after a twenty minute meal. The wait staff seems to be trained by the same ignorant owners, who want to turn the table over as fast as possible without regard to the restaurant experience for the diner. I do not appreciate indigestion as part of my experience and do not come back to these places.

• Visited February 2014

San Diego
“Great sushi! Don't miss it.”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Great sushi and excellent service. Danny is awesome. We eat here somewhat regularly and it's always great. Baja Hand Roll in soy paper is my favorite and a recommendation by Danny, given what we usually order. We now always get Tsunami, Haji, Baja Hand Roll, Mini Ahi Tacos, Pepper Seared Ahi and El Chappo. I also love the Lazy Chef, but can't always talk my boyfriend into it.
My only complaint is sometimes the rolls don't stay together and are somewhat loosely rolled.
They also are always working on new creations and we like the Louisiana roll a lot.
Love this place! Plan on a short wait, the word is out.

• Visited December 2013
San Diego, California
“Love this place”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We really love this place. It's our favorite place to go in Poway and maybe even all of San Diego. We are regulars and we haven't had a bad meal there. In fact, they keeping surprising us with superior service and food. We love the Chili Citrus Yellowtail, salmon sashimi and fresh scallops. The rolls are great, but we like to let the sushi chef create something special for us using the best ingredients of the day. It's always fun and delicious. This place also has a small but good drink and wine menu. Weekends can be busy, but the place is popular because it's great.

• Visited November 2013
“Good not great”
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

The sushi here was good I think based on the other reviews I was expecting amazing sushi but I wasn't amazing. I tried two different rolls and I liked one more than the other. The chronic roll was very good.

Ramona, California
“Always Good”
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

This is our fourth or fifth trip to the PSL. My only complaint is it is so good it's popularity continues to increase and now I have to wait on the weekends. If it's 10 minutes of 45 it is worth every minute of waiting.

Visited September 2013

Been to Poway Sushi Lounge? Share your experiences!