“Relaxing at the Nest.”
Review of Eagles Nest Winery

Eagles Nest Winery
Ranked #11 of 41 things to do in Ramona
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I may be biased somewhat considering these are my neighbors. But hey, we are in the wine business too and I guess that gives us a little bit of an edge on the good and bad of the industry.

Don't miss an opportunity to visit Julie and Dennis at the Eagles Nest. The wine is young, but top notch. The environment is welcoming with views that will blow your mind and the owners are two of the friendliest people you could hope to meet.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife and I visited as a part of a three winery deal which included five tastes at each winery, and a sangria and food pairing. The exact details of the implementation varied a little at each winery. Eagles Nest was the last winery we visited and I'm glad we saved it for last. There was a musician singing and playing guitar, they were very liberal with their tastings. In fact, they gave us 12 tastings of their wine plus the sangria. Obviously, they wanted us to sample their wine in the hopes that we would appreciate it and maybe buy some wine...which we did. I much prefer this type of winery versus the big company wineries that seem to make the wine tasting the business. Beyond the wine, the view and atmosphere here is great. The only down side is that it is not the easiest place to find since it is not right off the main road (highway 67). However, it is definitely worth the effort. I highly recommend this winery and since we live 20 minutes away, we will be coming back.

2  Thank HubbyChubby
Reviewed 16 May 2014

What an amazing view! The view and location alone is worth the visit. The property is up on a hill and has been set up beautifully. They have a super cute tasting bar outside, kind of like a gazebo, half circle thing with the awesome view as a back drop. They also have all sorts of other beautiful outdoor seating areas as well as fun things set up to enjoy and play with while you drink. The service was good and the wine was awesome. My wine rack at home is at capacity so I didn't buy a bottle but there would have been a few I would have liked to take home. They have really cool events like start gazing and pot lucks, I will have to check them out sometime.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

My wife and I spent a few days at the Cottage and it was very relaxing and serene. The beauty and peace we felt while there was soul-satisfying. The view of the valley and the hills sprinkled with incredible boulders had a timeless feel. This is a nice retreat for people who want to get away from the BIG CITY for awhile (yet it is not too far from San Diego). The cottage itself has all the needed amenities for a pleasant stay including a marvelous kitchen and barbeque area for preparing your meals.

Although not huge wine drinkers, we enjoyed the wine we had while we were there. It is fascinating to walk through the vineyards and see how the vines are visible throughout the property.....a great use of available space! We can't wait to return and experience the process of harvesting and wine-making.

Thank you, Julie and Denny for the wonderful hospitality!

3  Thank WaBa2013
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I thought overall it was just ok. First this place is someone's home not a customary winery you would have thought it would be. It just didn't have the feel that other traditional wineries we have been to had. The host immediately hits you up for $5 tax when you get there. It has to be cash and i get the feeling it never gets reported. The ad said appetizers would be served but it was laughable. Maybe 1 or 2 little pretzels, a few Ritz crackers, tiny pieces of cheese, one small slice of salami and 2 chocolates. BTW, we saw an ant crawling in our plate. Anyway, the host was kind of annoying to us although some of the crowd liked her. I just couldn't get over the fact that she wouldn't stop talking about all the awards her wine has gotten and the fact that her real job is a college professor. Turns out she is an on line teacher at Southwestern College.

However, even though neither of us are big wine drinkers, the wine was pretty good. It was a little overshadowed by the fact she kept reminding us how lucky we all were that we received 7 pours though we only were supposed to get 5 pours. That was a really big deal to her and probably anyone else who is "cheap". The deal also allowed you to bring home a bottle of your choice (your pick from 3 cheap wines). We really liked a white port she had (not one of the three you could pick from) but she refused to let us pay the difference and take home the port. I thought that was a really "cheap" move also. It seems to me that she wouldn't have lost any money and happy customers would return and/or recommend the place to others. Anyway, overall we weren't impressed with the whole experience. And it was really annoying listening to her talk about her dog who was also wandering around the room where we all were tasting. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone although in all fairness, I'm sure the vibe and experience appeals to some people out there.

4  Thank Ryano724