“Disappointing experience”
Review of Il Forno Classico

Il Forno Classico
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: We specialize in fresh made Italian style dishes; Hand Tossed Pizzas, freshly sautéed pasta, fresh seafood-like salmon, halibut, scallops, and shrimp and fresh Angus beef.There is an exhibitionary kitchen in the main dining room, a full bar, a wine shop and private room as well as two outdoor patios.The wine list is a five time Wine Spectator Award Winning List. We feature over fifty wines by the glass; our specialty is west coast Cabernet sauvignon with over 200 selections. All wine is available to purchase to go at standard retail or less. In the restaurant the most it would cost is $14 over retail. The wine shop also doubles as a private dining room that can accommodate up to 30 sit down or 40 as a cocktail party.Two outdoor patios are in front of the restaurant for those who enjoy people watching.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Based on the reviews I read before going here my anticipation level may have set some of my dining expectations too high. We also misconstrued that it was part of the Il Fornaio chain of restaurants.

However, the service was definitely uneven. The busser was immediately there with their delicious fresh baked bread and water. The waitress however was another story. Our order was taken promptly. The beverages were as well. After the entrees arrived, she did not check back until we were almost half done with the meal. The refill on the soda came moments before we were finished. What we found interesting is that she was all over the couple at the next table. It was obvious they were regulars.

The food was good but not the fantastic that we had anticipated. The presentation was great and the portions substantial. The piccata was disappointing. The only flavor we could taste in the sauce was lemon juice. The accompanying green beans were cooked to the precise level of crispness. The Meat Lovers Lasagna on the other hand was definitely delicious.

With two misses (one for the piccata, the other for service) and the prices, we will explore other options next time we desire Italian food.

3  Thank Dennis H

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Il Forno Classico maintains a good niegborhood eatery with their consistncy and good food that keeps the neigborhood coming back. Sometimes it is a bit noisy for the older crowd, but people are enjoying themselves . Their lunch special of pizza and salad is highly recomended. They have a good lunch menu with a loaf of bread and olive oil served for every table. The cost is above average, but one must remmeber this is not a fast food place and service is excellent and still giving no rush to enjoy the meal. They also have a nice selection of brew or wine to enjoy with your meal.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My favorite sandwich is the grilled garlic and chicken breast. Their spring salad is the perfect complement. Actually everything on the menu is great.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This has been my all time favorite restaurant for years and my review for this gem is way overdue. I have visited Il Forno at least 3 times in the last 6 months and they never disappoint.

Where to begin? The wine list? The fresh baked focaccia bread?? The wonderful yet slightly different picatta??? It's difficult to choose.

Their wine list is expansive and original, with many choices for by the glass. Actually, I have met some of my favorite wines here :) They also have a reasonable corkage fee, which my friends and I have taken advantage of when hosting our annual Christmas dinner there.

The bread. One word, YUM! It comes to the table piping hot and crispy on the outside, soft and lovely on the inside, and with a really tasty dipping sauce. It is almost impossible to resist, in fact, I've never been able to NOT eat the bread!

The menu is varied and surprise, really reasonably priced. I have tried a few of their salads, had an intimate experience with a piece of monkfish that I will not soon forget (trust me on this one) but my favorite is their picatta, veal or chicken, it's so good! Lemony, garlicky and has artichoke hearts and capers to give it a little zing, delish!

If you find yourself in this neck of the woods, stop in for bite/drink. You won't regret it!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I travel for my job and have been to this restaurant a number of times when in the Sacramento area. I love this Italian restaurant. Il Forno Classico is just that, a classic Italian place that serves great food and yummy bread. I take my staff there quite frequently when I am in town.