“Luxury Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Placerville, California
“Luxury Hotel”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

I booked Agua Caliente through Trip Advisor. They connected me to Travelocity for a smokin deal. So glad I did.

All hotels in the area have an additional 'resort fee' and you won't get a discount walking in the door!
I saved almost 20%.

This hotel is very classy. The casino is clean and has plenty to offer. The restaurants have excellent food.

I plan to come back!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank TeethWhiteningLady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
New York
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa is located right off I-10 and is extremely easy to find and has terrific and ample parking. I am writing this strictly from a Coachella perspective as I have stayed at the hotel with a large group several years in a row. It is a $25 cab ride from the airport and located near good shopping restaurants and discounters like wal-mart.

The Great:

1. Super Staff, very friendly for years they have tolerated us blizted out of our minds at wee hours in the morning with a smile and a great attitude From the check in to check it has always been great!
2. The Pool. The Pool is amazing, and has tremendous service as well. They used to have day DJ pool parties during Coachella, but I think it disturbed too many other guests and they did away with it this year.
3. The Layout. Ok...it is a casino with a killer hotel attached, but it is set up perfectly, not like those puzzles in Vegas where you are constantly searching for the way in or out, plus they had great lighting and everything is taken care of extremely well.
4. The rooms. the Rooms are massive and have amazing desert or poolside views, it is really extraordinary from the upper floors.
5. The upkeep. The upkeep is fantastic, everything feels fresh and new, and always well maintained from the pool to the rooms to the casino.
6. The access right off of I-10 is unbeatable.
7. How well they accommodate Coachella festival attendees.
8. Bus drivers to and from Coachella were all super cool and patient. Made it very smooth.

The Good:
1. The Gift Shop. The Gift Shop has a wide array of necessity items, but could stay open a little later.
2. The Casino. The Casino is new, well laid out, and in my opinion the best in the area. Good assortment of electronic and table games...it can get packed on Friday and Saturday nights.
The Casino

The Ugly:
1. Distance to Coachella. If you are here to stay and gamble great, but if you are there for Cochella be prepared to take the fantastic shuttle service, which always has buses available; but is at least 30minute drive there and an hour (fter stopping at 3-4 other Hotels on the way home. Your other open a $50 cab ride. It was also very far from all of the other after parties.
2. The restaurants. There is a convenient sandwich shop by the elevators, which every one loved outside of that the restaurants were HORRIBLE. Especially the over priced buffet...save your money. Three years ago we tried and it was awful, then once again this year we hoped for improvement, but it was even worse than before. During the "late hours" there is a "deli" with about five menu choices which was equally as horrible.
3.Spa. Booked the spa, but we had some issues, it looked good but they lost points for overbooking.

All in all if you know what you are getting into it it worth it for the room size and how clean, and new everything is, but stock up on sandwich meat and bread and skip the buffet.

Room Tip: Get a high room with a balcony overlooking the pool. Extraordinary views! For Coachella goers make s...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank vivrelemonde
Torrance, California
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is a nice hotel right off I-10. It has nice restaurants and a nice casino. It is 25 miles east of Cabazon Outlet Stores. The room was clean and comfortable.We had a nice view of the pool area. The beds were comfortable. TVs were in 2 places. Elevators were efficient.

Room Tip: Ask if it is possible to have a room facing the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CaliforniaViv
Irvine, California
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Sorry to report that one of my favorite hotels of all time in the Palm Springs area (where my husband and I have come on average about once per mo since it opened) has taken a further turn for the worse. It literally stinks when you walk in! Someone got the idea to cover the smoke smell in the casino and lobby with a sickening, concentrated and heavy flowery smell. Its like someone sprayed an entire can of Glade air freshener in your face. Its inescapable and its coming full force from all the vents. It almost made me ill.
As we stood in line to check in, everyone was commenting on it and there was not one positive comment. "wow, this is gross" was the comment of the lady behind me in line as she pinched her nose closed. As a result of the smell, I spent NO time in the casino gambling as I normally would. My lungs were very irritated by the smell. This is an epic fail for whoever thought this idea up.

The rooms are still lovely and well appointed but again someone sprayed some sort of lily of the valley type, heavy flowery scent in there as well (nothing that I recall smelling in all the years we've been coming there). I am guessing that someone smoked in a non-smoking room and this is how they handled it. It too made me sick to smell it and I requested a room ionizer which housekeeping brought to me. It took a full 3+ hrs to get rid of most of the smell and during that time, I left the room and sat outside. I thought of how ridiculous it was that I could not relax and enjoy my hotel room OR the casino because of the "fragrance experiment" going on in the hotel.

Why this hotel was a favorite was the overall experience it provided. We enjoyed the spacious hotel room, grounds, casino gambing and dining. Which brings me to my next (continuing) disappointment and that is the buffet is even worse than when we were last here in June. In years past, it used to be one of the best in the area with ample, freshly cooked food with great variety and attentive chefs and staff. And it used to be packed with people. We went at 6PM and despite the hotel being booked to capacity on a Sunday, the dining area looked extremely empty (row after row of empty tables) and shadow of its former self. We were one of the few diners there.
The turkey was dry and looked like it had been under that heat lamp since lunch. The bread rolls were completely dried out and hard as a rock, there were few entrees I would want (there were not a lot of them) and lots of inexpensive items such as pizza, salad, etc. Everything we tried tasted reheated and over-spiced. As I mentioned in a previous review, this is not worth $19.95 but more like $8.99 (Home Town Buffet caliber, if that).

I personally won't be back. I have asthma and really had no problem staying there or playing in the past when the ventilations systems were operating well. I have no idea what management decisions led to the current state of affairs but something has gone wrong at Agua Caliente Resort.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for an ionizer if they have sprayed your room with a heavily scented odor...
1 Thank Katie H
Los Angeles
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is big enough to have a variety of shops and grounds but small enough to feel more personalized. Our 'standard' room was very nice and spacious and our view of the desert was beautiful. Didn't matter we could see some roof below and highway beyond - the sunsets were lovely and the sky played out a mural of muted colors each evening. It's about 8 miles from Palm Springs but if you're there primarily for the gambling (or the shows) then you'll be fine. You'll be fine anyway - eight miles is not so far. We found decent parking spots in the self-parking. And we got to bring our dog which was a treat and surprising for a casino, in my experience. The casino is nice too ... very colorful, not as thick with smoke or noise as many of them are though smoking was allowed (not in our no-smoking room though.) It was, like the hotel itself, spacious and clean feeling. Most of all, we were pleased at getting such a nice room with its nice big tub and flat screen TV's and a bed that was very comfortable. I'm giving this hotel a 5 stars even though there are more exclusive fancy-schmancy ones that would normally get that rating. This hotel was impressive. You feel like you really get your money's worth -- without any of the pretentiousness that sometimes comes with some pseudo classy hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JesseLosAngeles
Thousand Palms, California
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This was our first time staying in this resort. We were so impressed, so beautiful, well designed, furnished spacious, and decorated. Very pleasant stay, only one night. Good food, but the slots are very tight, lost quite a bit. I will, recommend to my relatives and friends.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors, have nicer views.
1 Thank Raje M
Duarte, CA
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel is always clean and beautiful, the casino, rooms, restaurants, pool and restrooms are well maintained and staff are friendly and attentive.
There is some security at night when using the elevators to go to your room. The rooms are large with a mini fridge, tub, separate shower and double sink. Lots of towels and soaps, shampoo, conditioner, lotion are provided. However, there is no coffee maker in the rooms. There is a large tv in the room and a smaller one in the bathroom.
The casino is fairly large with slot machines of various denominations,a variety of table games and a large poker room. At times areas of slot machines are not in service.

Room Tip: higher floors offer a nice view of the desert
1 Thank verda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa? Share your experiences!