“Who would of thunk?”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Who would of thunk?”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I've been here to gamble before but this is the first time I'm staying here due to a work function. I had no idea how nice it was going to turn out! The hotel rooms are really nice. Big rooms, great bedding, and bathroom. The hotel rooms smell smoke free!! Which I appreciate since one can't really avoid that in the casino. But honestly, on a Tuesday, I can hardly tell in the smoking area. The spa is FANTASTIC!! Again, I was skeptical but it's really nice and has a great private pool for spa costumers. My massage was top notch. Although my therapist wasn't up for talking or got my jokes, she was a good therapist, which ultimately was her job. LOL! The community pool is also nicely designed. This place feels like a Vegas hotel! But don't need to go as far. We ate both at the hotel casual restaurant and the steak house. Both excellent and good quality ingredients. Check out the happy hour at the casual dining restaurant. I forgot the name. $5 apps!! Woohoo! All in all, great place to stay, nice atmosphere and great staycation if you live in California!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank maylee32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Rancho Mirage, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

While most people think of the Agua Caliente Casino as a play to gamble, it has an amazingly nice 9 story hotel. The rooms are totally contemorary including a separate shower and TV in the bathroom. Great views....ask to be in the direction of the pool to see the mountains better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We arrived early for check in. They told us our rooms would be ready in 1 hour. In 1 hour they said another hour. This went on for 3 more times through the check in line. Great opportunities for improving the experience for patrons are being missed. The rest of the facilities were quite good. The food in the cafes was way above average! They blew a 4-5 star rating with poor check in service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Encino
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have mixed feelings about this resort. I will say that the room was more than I had expected. It was very spacious, lighting was excellent, well appointed and an excellent bed. The bathroom included a nice size shower and separate bath tub....oh, did I mention double sinks? There was plenty of power sockets at the desk, so no problem finding a place to charge your IPhone, or Pad. Housekeeping was not up to par....wife left the iron out on the bathtub ledge and it was still there upon checking out a few days later.
The only down side I can think of was that there was no hot water upon checking in around 2:00 p.m.. We were given a room on the 4th floor, right over the air conditioning units, so there was a little noise, but tolerable. Not enough to send me down asking for a change of rooms. The following day in the early a.m., tried to take a shower again and again no hot water....just room temperature. The third day I had hot water.

All things considered, we will not stay here again. It is not because of the room, pool area (which is very nice), parking attendants, (they were great too), just that this casino/spa/resort is too far away from all that is happening in Palm Springs. It takes about 20 minutes to drive into Palm Springs downtown area and that is just to far considering you have to drive another 20 minutes back. By the time you pay for the room, taxes and hotel fee, one would think that one could get just as nice of a room...OK...maybe not as nice, but certainly closer to downtown Palm Springs.

Room Tip: Do not get a low room facing the roof line on the east side of the building. To many air conditioni...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1momo1
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Booked a package deal at the hotel that included Coachella tickets and shuttle and pretty confident this is the best way to do Coachella. I'm not camping for 4 days and 3 nights while attending a festival all day. The hotel was filled with festival goers which I'm sure added stress to the hotel and it wasn't even noticeable. We were able to get checked in a few hours early and was really impressed with the hotel overall. The lobby wasn't smokey at all (other reviews complain about the smoke) and the restaurants and bars in the hotel were great. Ordered room service multiple times and everything was great. Especially the smoothies!

Room was massive with a huge bathroom and great view of the desert. Free Valet, and customer service was good all around.

Thanks for the great Coachella weekend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My girl friend and I stayed at Agua Caliente earlier this month while attending the Coachella Music Festival. While there were some small kinks, I think overall it was a nice stay. The hotel isn't too far from the airport (or the festival), check-in/out was quick and painless, and our room was beautiful and spacious (on the 5th floor at the end of the hallway). Extra points for an incredibly comfortable bed, and a really nice cleaning staff. We spent most of our mornings by the pool, and we enjoyed the atmosphere of sun, warmth, and tunes from the 90s / early 2000s.

The meals at Waters Cafe (restaurant closest to the pool) were okay. Basic, standard Western fare in big proportions. We were actually going in expecting drinks and food to be more inflated, so we were surprised when meals fell in the $9-15 range. Drinks by the pool were $7.50, and there's a happy hour on weekdays / Sundays with relatively cheap draft beers, bar rail and wine ($2.75-$4 range). Overall, it was cheaper to eat/drink at the hotel than at the festival (to be expected).

Given the hotel is linked to a casino, there was a kind've cheap eerie feeling to the main/floor lobby, but I think that's expected. At the end of the day, we were just glad that our room and the pool area were nice enough. My one major complaint is that we ordered a wake-up call for the morning we were leaving and it never occurred. Thank goodness we had all our alarms set.

I'm pretty sure there's fancier and more expensive places in the area, but for a short weekend escape, Agua Caliente passes the test!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank rwyhuang
Redlands, California
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We were looking for an alternative to the long drive to Las Vegas, so tried this resort which is only 40 minutes from home. My husband called ahead on our scheduled arrival day to see if we could have early check-in The girl he spoke with was very terse, and he said she was quite rude. She said no. When we arrived, the clerk at check-in was given a nice tip so we could have a good view in our room and be close the elevator. My husband is disabled and rides a scooter. He did give us a room close to the elevator, but with a view of a huge gray rooftop. We were too tired to change rooms, so we stayed.

As far as the room is concerned, it was perfect, clean, spacious and easy to navigate; by that, I mean there was a large bank of outlets on the desk for our computer and other things. Nice finishes. The bed was very comfortable with real sleeping pillows, not those big poofy things that wreck your neck. Crisp white linens. Towels were crisp and fresh, but not scratchy, just right. The sofa was comfortable, no sinking down in it, nice and firm.

Waters Cafe is very good, particularly if Juan is your server. He is very attentive. We had several meals there and the food was delicious. Outside the cafe is the pool area and desert landscaping with a small walkway. Many cabanas with TVs, a great place to relax and enjoy the area. Room service for 1 meal, way too much food and really good.

The valet service was excellent. They unloaded and reloaded my husband's scooter, assembled it, no job too big. As we were leaving, the bellman picked up our luggage, got our car, had it all loaded and parked off to the side ready for us to go after we had breakfast. I love this!

Overall, aside from the first encounters and lack of any kind of view, I would recommend this resort for a relaxing getaway. We made our concerns known to the front desk, so hopefully next time it will go a little smoother. We will go back.

Room Tip: Tell them you do not want a view of a gray rooftop!! Get a pool view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa? Share your experiences!