Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The hotel is in a good location and our stay started nicely; the exterior of the hotel is attractive and the front desk staff was pleasant and very helpful. It was downhill after that.
The first room we were given had a bad odor; we were then quickly given another room. This room was fine but very small. The hotel has a rather peculiar hallway; it is not flat and rises several feet from one end of the hotel to the other. There are handrails in the hall but it is still difficult for a handicap person to walk down or up these hills in the hall. This was a first for me, - not having a flat hallway outside the room.
Speaking of the hall, the carpets both in the hall and in the room were dirty and stained. Apparently they have not been cleaned in quite some time. They were really bad.
The worst part of the stay though, was the breakfast. The breakfast room is small and the tables are pushed right up together. There was hardly any room to pull out the chair and sit down. I would suggest eating only the cold and packaged cereal. Everything else is terrible. I think left over food is kept until it is eaten. My husband ate some ham and eggs and vomited an hour later. He had to spend the day in the hospital getting treated for food poisoning.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Archie10067
Josh G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

We are unfortunate to hear about your recent stay with us, mbuckley5384. We do apologize sincerely for any discomfort or inconvenience which may have happen during your stay. We will take affirmative action and implement new actions plans to prevent such inconveniences from happening. We do hope that after the revisions have taken place that you will return to stay with us. Again, we would like to thank you for your time and patience in providing us with your feedback.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area

Reviewed 31 January 2014

As a member of the IHG rewards program, I’ve always felt like a valued customer when staying at IGH properties. I don’t ask much, merely a quiet room, which is why I always request a high-level room (no footsteps heard above me), located away from any ice/vending machines and elevators, and a room with a single bed since it’s usually roomier than a room with two beds.
This wasn’t the case when I requested an early check-in (2 PM, one hour earlier than the normal 3PM check-in). When I was told that my room would be on the first floor, I asked about the possibility of a room on the top floor. I was told the majority of the rooms on the top floor have two beds, and that if I wanted a single bed, most of them were on the ground floor.
So I accepted the room on the ground floor, took the key cards and my bags to a room located directly across the housekeeping laundry room. Okay, maybe the hustle/bustle of the housekeeping staff wouldn’t be heard in the room. That wasn’t the case. In fact, at one point, I had to negotiate among various bins/carts that the staff parked along the hallway near the laundry room.

The room was actually very nice. However, I noticed what appeared to be brown streaks in the toilet as well as a contrasting ring around the water level. Most of the brown streaks disappeared when I flushed the toilet, but the dark ring remained. That makes me think that the toilet wasn’t scrubbed for the next guest in the room. This really doesn’t rattle me too much, but I’m bothered by the fact that there are notices in room guaranteeing guest satisfaction or they will rectify the issue. I didn’t actually believe this, but thought I should air my grievances with the management at that moment rather than writing a review of my grievances after the stay. I’ve read those reviews and the management usually responds by saying to the effect of “we received no complaints from this guest. Had we known of the issues we would have taken care of them promptly.”

After speaking to a front desk staffer, I think his name was Josh, I was moved to ground floor room in the same wing that was much more acceptable. He also gave me a price break on the room rate and some extra IHG rewards points. I honestly didn’t think that would happen, so I ended up being a satisfied customer. Did I feel like a valued customer? Not really. A valued customer would never be placed in such a room in the first place.

An observation: many of the Holiday Inns that I’ve stayed at have pillowcases labeled “firm” or “soft” which makes it easy for me to figure out the best ones to use without having to go through the Goldilocks routine (too hard, too soft, ahh, just right). Well in the new room that I ended up in, all the pillows were labeled “soft”, but they weren’t all “soft” as I went through the Goldilocks routine to find the one that was just right. This makes me question the overall competency of the housekeeping staff.

Another observation was that there was only one set of washer/dryers available for guests to use. That made it a challenge for me to get any laundry done. Many of the other properties I’ve stayed at with laundering amenities had at least two sets of washer/dryers.

As you read the many reviews of this hotel on this site, this property is definitely acceptable. I personally will not be returning, not because of the way I was treated, but rather because most of the rooms with a single bed are on the ground floor. The chances of me getting a single bed on the top floor are slim to none, so I’ll opt for another property the next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Bay_Arean2
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Bay_Arean2,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate to see the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were glad to see the staff was able to quickly address your concerns as well as compensate for the trouble you encountered. We were also pleased to see the high scores for Value and Sleep Quality. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I think we found a great place to stay. You are right on Restaurant Row, Shopping & I'm down the road from my cuz! It's clean, freindly & comfortable. Quick check in and out, breakfast was typical HI Express, WiFi worked great, so really nothing more to say.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Basil G
Josh G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

We certainly appreciate your feedback Galarnyk, from your most recent stay at our Hotel Property. Our staff prides themselves in providing a comfortable and pleasant environment during your stay. We are glad that we were able to meet your expectations and happy to hear that you found plenty of restaurants and shopping in walking distance from us at The River Complex. Again, we would like to thank you for your time and patience in providing us with your positive feedback.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Our suite was most comfortable, spacious and very clean. There was a slight problem at check-in that Paloma quickly rectified. There are numerous restaurants just across the street which we found very handy. The complimentary breakfast was quite extensive and we certainly enjoyed it. The breakfast room is not very large but there are many places to sit in the lobby area and patio or you can take it back to your room. We will definitely return here when we are in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Josh G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Gloria M, we are certainly glad our Hotel was able to meet your expectations and standards from your most recent stay. We truly value our guest, and our staff works diligently to provide a comfortable and pleasant environment at our Hotel. We are always looking forward to accommodations our returning guest and providing exceptional service. We again, would like to thank you for your time and patience in delivering your positive feedback.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

This facility was very clean and well kept. The staff was friendly and accomodating. We used the pool, hot tub, breakfast, and fitness facility and they were all wonderful. The front desk attendant put out freshly baked chocolate chip cookies in the evening that smelled and tasted great. The rooms were clean and everything worked. This was a great place to stay. We would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you Stacy W for providing us with your insight from your most recent stay. Our Hotel Staff works hard maintaining and providing exceptional service toward our guests. We go above and beyond to meet our guest expectations, whether they are here for one night or various days. We pride ourselves in accommodating our guest in a pleasant and clean environment upon there stay. We again, would like to thank you for your time in providing us your positive feedback from your most recent stay.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel is amazing! It's comfortable, quiet, has very friendly and attentive staff and is in a fabulous location after the hustle and bustle of Las Vegas. There is a fantastic bar-be-cue bar opposite and a small shopping plaza (which wasn't finished when we visited). I will certainly be visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leahnarf
Josh G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

We are certainly glad Leahnarf that our hotel was able to meet your expectations upon staying at our property. Our hotel staff works diligently to provide a welcoming and pleasant stay at our hotel. We do appreciate the kind words provided from your feedback and will be glad to pass it down to our team.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed at this property for 7 nights. Having stayed at lots of holiday inn express properties over the years, this has been the best so far. Felt like coming home each night to a wonderful room with the most comfortable bed.

The service from the front desk staff was exceptional, Paloma was so lovely and friendly to us and to my daughter holly, first class!!

Also Derrick at front desk was really helpful and professional, also first class! You both are a credit to holiday inn. Won't stay anywhere else now in Palm Springs, and can't wait to go back to my home from home. Thank you so much for a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank C Y
Josh G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you CY for recognizing our hotel in a positive way. We are very happy to hear that your stay with us was comfortable and pleasant. Our team works diligently to provide you excellent customer service; from making check in quick and easy to providing concierge information about local attractions. We appreciate your time and patience in providing us a positive review from your most recent stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
#1 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
Holiday Inn Express Palm Desert / Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area

Address: 71730 Highway 111, Rancho Mirage, Greater Palm Springs, CA 92270-4496
Region: United States > California > California Desert > Greater Palm Springs > Rancho Mirage
#4 Family Hotel in Rancho Mirage
Price Range: £65 - £239 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rancho Mirage - Palm Spgs Area California Desert, CA