We spent a couple of days here during the first week of the year. It was very quiet - I mean we rarely saw anyone else at the pool or on the grounds of the resort. We took our two younger kids 5&8 to just chill out as they enjoyed the last gasp of their holiday break from school. The resort is a sprawling place. The Villas are the timeshare/condo-like portion of the Mission Hills property. The hotel is adjacent, and something of a hike from the Villas. If you like to walk along a pretty golf course, it's not bad. Took us about 10 minutes from our room to the hotel lobby.
The room was nice - we had a 1 BR. The kitchen was pretty sizable - we didn't cook, but if we were to stay for a few days, we'd bring breakfast stuff and make it there. Dishwasher, washer and dryer, refrigerator and stove were all functional and reasonably new. The main living area had a fold out bed. Normally, these are a hazard to backs and a guaranteed bad night's sleep. However, the mattress in this sofabed was very thick and quite comfortable. More than good enough for the kids. The bedroom was sizable, with a LARGE jacuzzi tub (the jets however, didn't seem to be working). Shower was also large and the bathroom had a double vanity that worked nicely for us. Furniture seemed new-ish and all was very comfortable. Not luxurious, but certainly very serviceable.
The pool area for the Villas was quite large, including the be all and end all for our kids - THE WATER SLIDE! It was staffed throughout most of the day, and our kids used it to its fullest. There is a height requirement of 48 inches, and our 5 year old was 2 inches shy. That meant having to coerce his sister or a parent into sliding with him, since he wasn't allowed to go alone. We did several runs, and it was quite fun. There was a hot tub/spa nearby, which kept us from freezing on this high 60's/low 70's day. Food at the pool was the standard fare - burgers, chicken tenders, etc - but all tasty and nothing to object to. The cocktails were also good - a surprisingly good mojito with fresh mint.
It appeared the hotel pool was a bit more happening, but alas, their pool slide was under repair. There were games - ping pong, small basketball hoops etc. and other activities for kids that were much more extensive than at the Villa's pool. We probably would have spent our time there instead of the Villa, were it not for the water slide situation.
We also played tennis and rented some bikes to ride around the resort. Tennis a very far from the villas - the far end of the resort. But the court was fine and we had no complaints.
SInce it was so quiet, it's hard to gauge service and overall experience - we pretty much had the run of the place, and I think the staff was reduced since it was right after the holiday crunch. But generally the staff were helpful and friendly. The Villa grounds are a little artificial feeling. Plants that look very non-native plunked down between two long rows of 2 story villas. But nice enough. Just no wow factor.
We would probably stay here again, especially once our son grows another 2 inches. But it's nothing that really bowled us over. To be fair, when any resort is empty, it can be unexciting. And we have nothing negative to say. Just nothing that made this a must return, either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas is nestled in the Coachella Valley at the base of California's San Jacinto Mountains in the secluded desert oasis known as Rancho Mirage. As a AAA Four Diamond-rated resort, this world-class golf and spa destination promises infinite rejuvenation. Nearby, a mecca of cultural, historical, shopping and outdoor adventure awaits you. Enjoy spacious one and two-bedroom villas with fully equipped kitchens, washers and dryers, private balconies or patios, separate dining and living room areas, and complimentary Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Westin Mission Hills Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Mission Hills Villas Hotel Rancho Mirage
- Westin Mission Hills Hotel
- Westin Rancho Mirage
- Rancho Mirage Westin
- The Westin Mission Hills Villas Rancho Mirage, California Desert, CA