“Always great, one minor issue this time”

The Westin Mission Hills Villas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Highland, California
“Always great, one minor issue this time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We've stayed between the villas and the hotel here a half a dozen times in the past two years and love them both. The only issue we had at the Villas was that there was major dust in the parking lot due to high winds. This is totally understandable but when you (the resort) blow all the dirt into every seam of the vehicles with out blowing the cars off its an issue. They were blowing off the parking lot earlier. I was holding clean clothing and lifted up the trunk of my car and a ton of dirt went all over my clothing and inside the trunk. Also, the dirt/sand was blown all over the rest of the car and I couldn't even lower my windows in fear of sand going down inside and potentially causing damage to my windows and mechanisms. I went to the front desk and told the gentleman there and he said sorry and asked where is was parked. I told him and I thought maybe they would blow the car off. That didn't happen. It wouldn't be such a big deal but they still charged me the 15 bucks for parking. Oh well, we still love the resort and will continue to come here and we'll always recommend the villas and the resort to anyone. As a matter of fact, we're coming back this weekend to the resort side for memorial weekend.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike A
Jonathan K, Manager at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
MikeArv, thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience with us. I am happy to read you had a great time and continually enjoy the resort! Please accept my apology for the sand. I have shared your feedback with our public area team so we can better execute sand clean-up during our sand storms that occur here. Thanks again for your feedback and we truly look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Be Well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I attended a conference here and found the staff helpful and friendly, the rooms spacious and clean and the conference facilities excellent. I played golf one day and really enjoyed a nice and fair course. I would stay again for both business or pleasure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Jonathan K, Manager at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dublin_IrelandBC, thank you for the great review of our resort. I am so pleased to read that you had a great experience. It is simply great that you found some time to rejuvenate during your conference and enjoyed what the resort has to offer. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. Be Well.
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had a downstairs 2BR (which is really a 1BR and 1BR premium combined). We are a family with twin toddlers and the resort exceeded our expectations at every turn. This began well before our arrival where multiple staff at the property reached out to us looking to help with additional requests which we had: cribs and high chairs. We also requested a specific area of the hotel which was accommodated with ease.

We flew into Ontario and the drive was very easy and quick (about 75 minutes). We arrived about 4 PM, with 20 bags of groceries that required refrigeration and our rooms were ready. We parked directly in the rear of the building and someone arrived promptly to assist us with “moving in” for the week. He even helped load the refrigerator and gave us the lay of the land as first time guests. He also ensured our cribs and high chairs were on their way.

The villas are really well suited for families. Our setup gave lots of opportunities for privacy as well as common areas. We were travelling with another family who stayed next door to us and grilling on the patio and enjoying the beautiful evening weather were highlights of the trip. The only things the kitchen was “missing” was a few more large bowls for mixing/serving and a baking sheet. Other than that we prepared some very intricate menus and had everything we needed. Our grill was meticulously clean!

The pool area can be crowded on the weekend but we never had to fight for chairs. We spent about half our time in the baby pool which is 1 foot deep throughout and the other half in the main pool. Our kids were too small for the waterslide but our friend’s kids used it the entire time.

The pool drinks and food were a good value during happy hour (which was from 3-6 or 4-6, I can’t remember). The nachos and mai tais were especially good!

We received no harassment from the timeshare aspect of the property and the concierge gave us a helpful bag on information which included beach balls for the kids. The property in general has an established feeling to it and was not sales driven at all.

My wife and I also both had massages which were great. The spa area itself is small but adequate and was priced similar to other resorts in the area.

All of the staff we encountered were very helpful and smiling which is not the case for most timeshares we’ve stayed at. The pool service (both the attendants and servers) was especially good for a timeshare property.

Most of the negative reviews cited two issues: too many kids and thin walls/ceilings. Both are fair assessments. This is a great resort for families. Singles and couples without kids might prefer the hotel side which has far fewer kids.

We definitely could hear the people upstairs quite a bit. Not voices but footfalls and the rearranging of furniture. It didn’t both us too much and they were quiet after dinner…however I could see how if you had a rowdy group above you it would be a bad situation. If you are concerned about this, get an upstairs unit. We had two toddlers with us that go to bed at 7:30 PM, and they were never bothered by the noise.

Some complain about the late checking and early checkout. Just be aware of it and plan accordingly! 3PM Check in and 10AM Check out is uncommon for hotels but relatively common for timeshares.

If you are traveling with family or friends to the area I can’t give this place a higher recommendation. It’s a great value that stands up to any timeshare property we’ve ever stayed at. We’ll be back for sure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Loungesong, thank you for sharing the great experience you and your family had at our resort. So thrilled we were able to accommodate your requests and that you had an excellent stay with us here in the desert. We love reading great feedback and we will share your comments with our staff and particularly with our pool teams. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you and your family again at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Cheers!
Incline Village, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We drove from the Bay Area to Scottsdale with our pup and had a lovely respite at the villas! Kind of reminded us of a remodeled la quinta ---- but our villa didn't have any windows - just a slider door. Dogs not allowed at the outside patio so we ordered too much room service. Which was lovely! It was lovely heavenly bed and very quiet - just what we needed. Clean large bathroom with patio by golf course...... but strange no window. Super large room however, and internet is slow and really should just be part of the room charge -- we are starwood platinum. We would definitely try another room !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
D k, Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience here at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. I am happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, albeit brief! If you happen to revisit us here in the valley, hopefully you will a few more days to enjoy all the desert & resort has to offer. Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future. Safe Travels.
Glendale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just came back from another relaxing vacation at Westin Villas. I have been staying at this resort for the past 8-10 years. We go there at least 3 to 4 times every summer. They have never disappointed me. We always sent them a request for early check-in and a villa close to the pool. This time was no exception. Got there at 12:00. Room was ready (really recommend the Premium Villa). Also is you are a member of SPG and they have premium villa's available-they will upgrade at no charge. I almost always for with Kristal or Maria at the from desk. Super nice ladies. This time it was Maria-she noticed it was my birthday weekend. I got to my room and there was a bottle of red wine in a beautiful box and some yummy toffee and candy for my kids. Just the extra steps they always take to make you feel like home- every single time. They have a little lagoon with ducks running around. My kids so enjoy them and it's so lovely in the morning. Just sit outside in your individual patio and have breakfast and watch the stress of life disappear. Rooms are always clean, have everything you need including a full kitchen.. Loved having the washer-dryer unit. Last evening there washed and folded all our clothes-so when we go home only took me 20 minutes to unpack.

One more tip-we almost always go on a sunday and come back wed or thursday.

Room Tip: building 35 or 40 overlooking the lagoon
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Cali7878, thank you for sharing your excellent experience at The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. I am so happy to read that you had another great vacation with us. Thank you for recognizing Crystal & Maria at our front desk and thrilled to read you had a birthday treat in your room from the team!! Thanks again for the great feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Many thanks and Be Well.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have to be honest, the rooms are nice & comfortable. The grounds are nice. Can be a great place to stay, but when something goes wrong, go talk to the ducks that are pooping all over the grass...
We are a group of 35-50 guests who go there every year. We take many Villas and go there with 8-10 other familes every year. Last time they made a mistake on our reservation (a family of 6) and made us give up our room in the middle of 6 day stay.
Not easy to do. The realy bard part was, there is no one to talk too..
They really didint seem to care. They made us walk from one side of the grounds to the other so many times. Instead of them coming to us. This is a big place. All to hear. Sorry, no one is here to help you now. Come back later. (LIke 5 times). INstead of enjoying our friends and fun, we were sitting and walking a 10 minute walk each way, 5 times. To make a long story short, they said they are doing us a favor and letting us keep half a room for 3 people and keep 6 people there for the weekend. Very comfortable. But the kicker, No one cares. Big Company...
Honestly, after 5 hours, one young lady made it to our room to give me her card and say sorry hope we see you again. With the most biggest smile.
One year later, some of our group wants to go back but some of us are thinking twice to go back or not. How easy bad managers can destroy a nice place.
FYI, sent them a few emails, and no response... Nice Job guys..

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MrWorldWide2014
Jonathan K, Manager at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
MrWorldWide2014, thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience last year. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience you and your family experience. We care deeply about creating renewing experiences for every homeowner and guest, I am sorry we failed to achieve this with you on your previous visit. I would enjoy the opportunity to connect with you personally to learn more about your experience as well as offer a more personal apology. If you wish to discuss, it would be great to connect with you. Thanks again for your feedback and hope I have the opportunity to learn more and earn back your trust. Many thanks and Be Well.

Jonathan Karp
jonathan.karp@westin.com
Director of Operations
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just returned from 5 days at the Westin Mission Hills Villas. While we caught the tail end of spring break, the only place/time you could tell was midday poolside where seats where challenging to find on a couple of days. The trick is to get to the pool early and save seats! The tail end of the week was far less crowded so it wasn't always an issue. Our room was in building 34 which made it easy for the kids to run back and forth from the pool to the room however, it was noisy in the early morning as the landscapers worked to remove sand (or so I thought that's what they were doing) from the night time windstorms. The grounds are lovely and we enjoyed the walk to the main hotel to use the gym a few times which is much bigger than the one at the villas. The staff was great from front desk, housekeeping, poolside attendants to restaurant staff. We enjoyed a very relaxing visit to the desert and look forward to returning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
RamengirlCA, thank you for sharing your experience at our resort. I am so happy to read that you and your family had a great relaxing stay!! Thank you for enduring the wind events this spring as well as recognizing our staff. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to see you and your family again at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Cheers!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Mission Hills Villas? Share your experiences!