“Big rooms but Resort Seems Dated & could use a facelift.”

The Westin Mission Hills Villas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Didn't like the location.Need a car to go anywhere.
Pool was filled with kids & chairs bumper to bumper.
Heard there was an adult pool but far from our room.
Restaurant way overpriced for food & service.
Property seems dated.
Ponds around pool were dirty( they had recently had dust storms I was told) but yuck.
Room was big but a bit dark.
Would not be my choice with all the super resorts in the area.

Room Tip: If you face the main pool it would be noisy I am sure.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kimfallbrook_Ca_
Jonathan K, Manager at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Kimfallbrook_ca, thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay with us. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like yours that we learn from and grow. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations this visit. Thanks again for your feedback and hope we could earn back your trust at Westin. Thank and Be Well.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Mission Hills Villas

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Came here with 5 kids under the age of 8 yrs old. Stayed in a 2 bedroom lock-off Villa. The hotel is a little older, but has been renovated. Rooms were very clean, granite countertops, and stocked kitchen. I still brought extra large mixing bowls ( theirs are small). I would bring a can opener, they have an electric one that was very difficult to use... Other than that, the room was perfect... Very spacious. After a long day of swimming, having a DVD player in the room was great to have the kids settle down before dinner.
The pool was perfect .. 3 1/2 feet deep so the kids weren't too scared and they loved the huge water slide! Will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014

Marian V, thank you for your great feedback about our Resort. I am so happy to read that you and your family had a great visit with us in the desert…and the pool. :) Thanks for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Cheers!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Beautiful hotel, very nice and helpful staff . Rooms are nice and clean.pool super clean and nice water Breakfast was outstanding , JOSE Luis was very patient and helpfull with our orders .
They really did care about our concerns and resolved it :)

Room Tip: choose the upper level room cause if youre on the base floor there is so much unit noise from the f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Azadeh A, thank you for your wonderful feedback about your experience with us at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. I am so pleased to read that you had an amazing stay with us. Thank you for recognizing Jose Luis. We will share your comments and celebrate with the team. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to serving you again in the future at the Westin. Be Well.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have stayed in the Villas several times, most recently for a night this month. We love these Villas. I stayed with 3 kids this past visit in a Premium 1 Bedroom and we had plenty of space. We love being able to use the Villa pool and then also going over to the hotel pool for a change of scenery. We've stayed on the hotel side too and while a hotel room doesn't compare to a 1 BR villa we've enjoyed our stays there as well!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Jonathan K, Manager at The Westin Mission Hills Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Jill S, thank you for sharing your experience at our resort. I am so happy to read you had another great visit with us. It is great to know you continually have a great time with us in the desert. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Cheers!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We are a family with two kids and stayed for 5 days over Father's Day weekend. The deluxe room is small for a family our size and it felt like too much furniture shoved into a little space....in addition, the housekeeping was terrible. My 5 year old had an accident one night and I put all the linens and mattress pad in a pile to be replaced. Housekeeping replaced the linens but refolded up the mattress pad...I was not happy to say the least. How hard is it to smell pee and see a yellow stain????

The Westin does redeem it self at the pool. It is was not for the pool, I would consider other places. They have alot of great activities for the kids. Yes, you do have to pay, but where do you not have to pay??? There is also the slide that my 7 year old went down at least 50 times. On the weekends, there is a music at a bongo to the track band that plays.
Best part is they do clean the pool every couple of hours. They kick everyone out of the pool for at least 20 minutes as they check clean the pool. FYI...swim diapers are complimentary!

Despite the issues with the room, I would stay again. My kids loved the lagoon outside our room and feeding the ducks in the morning and it does become a fun time for families.

Room Tip: If you have kids stay on a bottom floor. They can go out to feed the ducks in the pond/lagoon area...
1  Thank Kari W

Kari W, thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience with us. Please accept my apology with Housekeeping. We have followed up with our staff on the proper measures when addressing accidents like these, we have a specific protocol and I am sorry this situation occurred. I am happy to read that you and your family had a great time at our pool and activities. Thanks again for your feedback and I am confident your next visit will be renewing experience. Many thanks and Be Well.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Upon checking in, the lobby area looked quite nice. Our room wasn't ready for a few hours (which was fine - we arrived at 11AM and check-in was 4 PM - so we understood) so we went to Palm Springs for a fabulous lunch. Once we got the call to come and get our keys, our expectations continued to dwindle. No elevator for the 2nd floor - and we had plenty of baggage and groceries to schlep....to walk up stairs that sagged under our feet and arrive at a room where 1/2 the lightbulbs were burnt out, curtains hanging off their hooks, and appliances in the kitchen that were rusty and hardly qualified as "clean".

We then headed to the pool where there were mounds of trash (empty beer cans) piled up by the palm trees and LOUD music blasting from various rooms during our walk. This left us feeling like "wow - we paid WAY too much for this place for a week"....

We then returned to our room to give our son a bath and he was excited for the jacuzzi tub. Well...1/2 the jets didn't work...not to mention when we pulled a glass out of the cabinet it was dirty.....so we ended up having to wash all the dishes we were going to use.

Overall, this is a terrifically disappointing resort. While we like the amount of room we have, we regret having spent the money to stay here. We plan to call the front desk tomorrow to see if they'll do anything about our disappointments...I expect they'll do nothing about it.

At dusk, we opened our patio door only to hear what I expect to be a college party going on - this is NOT a family resort and we will NOT be back. Ever.

The joke is on us if we actually answer the phone and sign up for one of their sales pitches. Nothing in this world could ever make me spend another cent at this place. Ever.

Room Tip: Avoid this place if you can.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Brett H, Thank you for sharing your comment about your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the challenges with your stay. I will share all your comments with our team so we can evolve and deliver the renewing experience we expect. At your convenience, I would enjoy the opportunity to connect with you and offer a more personal apology, and learn more about your experience and have the opportunity to earn back your trust. Once again, thanks for your feedback and I look forward to connecting.

Jonathan Karp – Director of Operations
Jonathan.karp@westin.com

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We took advantage of a promotional offer to visit at a reduced rate for four days. We added three days at a very good additional rate to make a full week. The month of May is great for relaxation because it's after Spring Break but before schools are out, so during the week the crowds were non-existent everywhere. One day we were the only people at the pool about 6:00 p.m. Likewise, we had the whole spa to ourselves at 10:00 in the morning. Following a stressful month our plan was to do nothing but relax all week. Staying at the Villas gave us full privileges at the adjacent main Westin Mission Hills Resort and Spa. They are operated separately, but together they make up a huge resort. Between the two sides we had several pools to choose from and several restaurants. A shuttle ran regularly between the Villas and Hotel sides or you could call the front desk to request a run. Although the Villas and Hotel are adjacent, the overall shape of the resort is very long and slender, so that from one end to the other is about a mile and a quarter. In 100 degree plus heat, that's a long walk.

So you must be wondering what the promotion was for. It's to preview the resort and you are invited to attend, but do not have to attend, a presentation for the Starwood Vacation Network--a timeshare. They offer you a substantial gift for your time. As timeshare presentations go, I thought it was relatively low pressure. The sales rep was a very pleasant young lady and the finance manager was also a nice lady. Somehow it worked for me compared to high-pressure male sales reps. We decided it made sense for us, so yes, we bought in at the nearby Westin Desert Willow Resort in Palm Desert. The Westin Mission Hills Villas are now sold out, but they still use it to market the Starwood Vacation Network of resorts and hotels.

Now back to the Villas. They are not new, but still well kept except for the rugs. They either need more regular shampooing, or it's time for replacement. The one bedroom suite we stayed in was well maintained and we have no complaints with housekeeping. The one apparent flaw with the unit we stayed in was the dirt and sand that blew in from the front door. This was our first visit ever to the desert area and I guess wind (sand storms) is a regular evening feature in May and for a few days out of the week, we would wake up in the morning to a dust pan full of dirt and sand that blew under the door. I would think the door could have been better sealed to keep it out. We considered this a minor inconvenience and certainly didn't let it ruin our stay. I took it as a new experience.

Having access to the entire resort and hotel gave us the option to use several pools and several restaurants. We went off reservation a few nights, but the restaurants at the resort were also very good. In addition to the main pool, there's an adult pool and at the Villas there's a more quiet pool at the far end away from the main pool. The main Villas pool had a very fun, but short water slide. I think the kids loved it, but the adults had fun with it too. There is bar service around the pool and a "drink of the day" was only $6. Specialty drinks went from about $9 to $14 for top flight margaritas. There are plenty of lounges around the pool and finding shade was not a problem.

The Resort Spa is available to all guests and you can get massages, facials, and such, but you can also just go for the steam room, jacuzzi and showers without charge. The locker rooms are very nice and there's relaxation areas with fruit and lemon water. Relaxing music is piped throughout and it creates a very serene environment. Next to the Spa are tennis courts. We don't play tennis, but they looked nice and very well kept.

One warning: when we first got to Rancho Mirage and looked for a Costco for groceries, booze, and a discount restaurant card, my iPhone highlighted the Costco in Indio 16 miles and about 20-25 minutes away. We found out from the hotel concierge that there is another Costco just down the road about 5 minutes or less from the resort but I didn't see the pin drop on my Iphone. Overall, we had a wonderful week and we will return. Not because we bought a timeshare, because you can stay anywhere in the Starwood Network, but we'll return because it's a different area and we have more of the desert to explore.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 46 off the main road, away from the parking lot, and on the golf course. It wa...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Michael F, thank you for sharing your great experience at our resort. I am happy to read that you took advantage of our preview package. Congratulations on becoming on owner with us and to a lifetime of vacations within our Starwood Vacation Network. I am happy to know you had a great visit. Thanks for the great feedback and we truly look forward to seeing you again at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas. Safe travels and Be Well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Mission Hills Villas? Share your experiences!