“Great experience”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

This is a new restaurant, I am glad I followed my friends recommendation to try it. It was a great experience, really different from your typical Japanese restaurant, the food is superb, wow just love it. The owner is always around recommending and explaining the dishes, she gives a very personal service. She recommended for dessert the Japanese style cheesecake, I really don't like cheesecake, so I was reluctant to try it, but she told us, she made it herself that morning so I finally agreed to share one piece with my husband and OMG, it was the best thing I have tried in my life, it was perfect, very light, delicious and I'll definitely will go back to have another piece. I really had a good experience.

2  Thank rocio022169

Reviewed 4 May 2014

What a lovely Japanese restaurant! Fresh and delicious food. Stands out amid all the happy hour focused restaurants in the desert. Shabu shabu is a fun dining experience during which everyone participates in the cooking process -- great for stirring up conversation among new friends, colleagues, in-laws! lol. The owner had made two wonderful desserts the night we were there: a delicious sake ice cream and something between a cheese cake and a creme brûlée that was very very good. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will return.

1  Thank smox62
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We were visiting friends in Palm Desert. They suggested we try this new restaurant, little did we know that we would have not only an absolutely fantastic dinner but our service was wonderful an interactive.. At the end of our meal we were asked if we wanted dessert, of course we were very full but could not refuse when we heard "Tempura Ice Cream". It was so delicious we wanted to lick our plates.

For an excellent meal with wonderful service. Shabu Shabu Zen is a MUST. Wishing them great success.

1  Thank Ginette S
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My wife and I are big fan of Shabu dinners and had quite few experiences. As my fellow yelper Jason H mentioned in his review, Zen has raised the bar quite high for the competition.
Our experience was absolutely fantastic. I normally do not go to new restaurant for about 4 weeks but we made an exception because we craved Shabu Shabu.
From a professional to another I want to congratulate the Owner Miho . What a beautiful restaurant, incredible service, the food is superb and the attention to detail surpasses anything I have seen so far.
We started with two different flights of Sake in order to determine which one will be our favorite and then order a bottle. Loved it… all the appetizers were superb and delicious. We both had the Kobe beef , it is a Winner !
We are big fans and it will be one of our regular spot.
Again Congratulation and we wish you great success.

2  Thank christophe D
Reviewed 12 February 2014

For those who don't know, Shabu Shabu is a Japanese dish featuring thinly sliced beef boiled in water. You can also use fish or just vegetables. You cook it yourself.

This place is AMAZING! Everything is made fresh and cooked to order. Try the Wasabi infused guacamole. Out of this world. And the Gyoza is not frozen but instead made to order.

My date had the thinly sliced Kobe beef. I had the seafood option which consisted of crabs, shrimp, salmon, and a white fish. Great selection of sake too!

I highly recommend Shabu Shabu Zen.

1  Thank Mark E