“Brunch on Sunday at the hotel restaurant a total disappointment.....”

The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Vancouver, Canada
“Brunch on Sunday at the hotel restaurant a total disappointment.....”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel itself is not what you would expect of this wonderful luxury chain....it is modern, kind of common, nothing over the top (except for the view) to make a top destination. No golf course, tennis is on a private property not part of the hotel, the pools are nothing special. Now, we didn't stay there so I don't know how the rooms compare to other 5 stars......but the restaurant is, by far, the most disappointing of all. It looks like a cafeteria, all open, booths similar to diners...certainly not what you expect when you pay $75.00 per person for a buffet brunch. It includes 2 drinks (mimosa or bloody Marys) the shrimp are served one at a time on a small plate (you would have to go 6 times to get a full cocktail!) The main meal was lamb......which a lot of people don't care for (2 out of 4 in our party didn't)......the sauces with the lamb were yogurt with a almost imperceptible taste of mint and an ailloli...again not for every taste so most people end up with eggs and sausage for $75.00 per person! The norm is to be served an excellent prime rib but no trace of it anywhere! Selection of cheeses is fine and dessert as well (although the creme brulee I had was more than ordinary). Lots of staff hanging around but considering the price, I think that selections brought to the table would be more appropriate. Another rarety is that there is no place to park close by so you "Have" to use the valet......meaning that if you decide not to stay (after you know the price), you can't validate your ticket and have to pay for that too......I know the property just recently opened but dirty carpets in the lobby and in the dining room (I should say diner)!!!!!!......that is not the standard of a 5 stars by all means. We are world travellers who visited 78 countries, we own a house in Rancho Mirage and I am not going there to eat again......although maybe I'll go try their steakhouse when it opens in the fall but I'm afraid the baked potatoes to eat with your steak might tun out to cost $25.00! But being a good sport, it will deserve a visit because of the view!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank jojodion
Doug W, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear jojodion,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that our Sunday brunch did not meet your expectations. After the July 4th weekend we will be discontinuing our Sunday brunch, but will be resuming this experience in the fall. We certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back and would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you. I can be reached at 760-202-2161 or at doug.watson@ritzcarlton.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Doug Watson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I needed to look for a hotel or resort that provided us with a quite weekend get away. I started my search in the Palm Spring area and concentrate there. After reading many reviews about the Ritz and other resorts surround I decided to book with the Ritz, having stayed with them before at a different location, I knew the quality of service I would receive.

I read few negative reviews and that didn't stop me from trying this new location.

Pros: I would exaggerate if I said everything was perfect, and I am not. From the moment we stepped foot to the last day we have the best service, hospitality and food. Pool was nice, facility was clean and brand new and staff were welcoming and helpful.

Cons: The mattress was not that great. Maybe because I am spoiled at home.

I

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michael E
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had a fabulous experience at this new hotel! The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Upon our arrival, the hotel manager walked us to our room (Executive Suite), showed us the hotel amenities, and talked to us about the Palm Springs area. The State Fare restaurant had a great breakfast and the pool bar/cafe had great food as well. One of the State Fare servers (Shannan?) went out of her way to tell us about fun things to do in the area and brought us bottled water & fruit after we left the restaurant and went to the pool. The hotel interior and exterior were beautiful.
I might dock the Ritz-Carlton 0.5 stars (4.5 rating) because they forgot to set up our sofabed and bring a rollaway bed for the kids. We got in late the first night after checking in and getting settled and we had to call the front desk and wait around for this service. Also, our bathroom amenities (lotion, mouthwash, etc) were not replenished during our stay which I would expect from this caliber of hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Alycia S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My family just had a terrific experience at the Ritz. The hotel is luxurious with first-class rooms, pools, grounds and fitness center. My wife was especially pleased with the spacious fitness center and its new equipment. Our baby loved the children's pool, which is 1 1/2 feet deep--perfect for those just learning to walk. Most of all, the staff make this hotel special. From Kate at the front desk, to housekeeping, to Shannan and the waitstaff at the restaurant, they made sure our family had a great time (and were all very sweet and understanding of our temperamental baby...) Previously, my wife enjoyed staying at the Viceroy, but this is our new desert getaway.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank sdjlindsay
CA
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Finally! My husband and I have been waiting for this hotel to re-open for a very long time. It was worth the wait - we had a relaxing couples weekend away with a few minor issues. The elevated setting is breathtaking with birds flying eye-level over the canyon next to the pool, and the occasional long horn dotting the hillside. The property feels intimate unlike some of the other chain hotels in the area. There is a family pool and an adult only pool in a completely separate area. The property has the potential to get a 5 rating from me, and I'm sure they will get there soon. They are still working on training new staff for the facility, so service is hit or miss, and you need to be patient. It seems like some of the staff had more in depth training before opening, and some are currently being trained on the job and really not ready to interact with the guests yet. Also a bit puzzling for a new facility are a few design issues: 1. the lack of sound proofing between our room and the hallway and our room and the rooms next door, and 2. in our room, one could not adjust the temperature of of the shower without stepping directly into the stream of water resulting in being blasted with too cold/hot water while trying to adjust it 3. the glass partition separating the shower from the bathroom is too narrow, so water inevitably spills out onto the floor of the bathroom creating a slipping hazard 4. the louver shutters separating the bathroom from the bedroom are nice to look at, but I wonder how long before moisture starts to build up in the bedroom area.
The property is a very nice addition to the desert getaway options, and I think it will be ideal once they work out some of the newbie issues.

Room Tip: Some rooms have their own fire pit on the patio.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Supertravelmom2
Palm Desert, Ca
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We are locals and It is so nice to have this hotel back and running. The location is incredible and the new modern/low key vibe is great. Not sophisticated but chic. we had brunch twice since June 1st and love it. The prime rib was absolutely incredible. the service has improved tremendously.
A quick walk outside just to remind us of the breath talking view. We are hooked and will be back often

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Christophe D
London
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I arrived at the Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage after an abysmal experience at another local hotel. Quality was, as usual, in abundance, from the man who valeted my car, to the front desk staff to the comfort of the room.

The only reason I didn't give 5/5 is that my experience with room service wasn't as one would expect from the Ritz-Carlton family... I ordered chips & guacamole, a salad and a glass of white wine. The former was very tasty, but the chips were littered with bits and pieces of other fried foods, and the salad was just a bit disappointing. The wine was from one of my favourite vineyards, and the remainder of the selection was equally impressive, but unfortunately the glass I received was served at room temperature, rather than being chilled.

If I could give 4.5 out of 5, I would certainly do so. Regardless, I was grateful for the sound rest and the excellent customer service. You certainly get what you pay for in that department, and I mean that in the best way possible.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
#1 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage? Share your experiences!