“Spectacular location; missed opportunities” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Sunny Los Angeles
“Spectacular location; missed opportunities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

First, a disclosure: this property, formerly The Lodge of Rancho Mirage and before that the Ritz Carlton, was one of my favorites in all of my travels. So much so, that I made certain to spend the last night at the Lodge when it closed in 2007. Each and every time I visited the desert after its closure, I'd drive up the hill to see if there had been any movement in the construction. It took seven years to reopen (the recession held things up) and I couldn't wait to revisit.

The character of the hotel is completely different. Where before I'd describe it as a comfortable elegance, now I would say it has a clean contemporary desert look and feel. Think lots of stacked stone. It isn't special and feels alot like the Hyatt Indian Wells (formerly Grand Chamption and a multitude of other desert properties. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was very disappointed. It looks ordinary. A nice ordinary, but nothing about it is breathtaking.

The only restaurant open so far - State Fair - has a casual feel to it. We stayed 4 days, and ate 3 breakfasts, one lunch and one dinner there. Each meal was delicious, all food is locally sourced, non-GMA and organic. Lots of variety and different takes on typical items.

One recommendation would be to do yourself a favor and try the French Toast. Even if you're not a fan of French Toast (I'm not, but it was available for the buffet, so it was 'free' to try), order it. It's unbelievable. Like nothing I've ever had before: light, not too sweet, amazing texture and taste.

The biggest missed opportunity in my opinion is the lack of public space overlooking the magnificent view of the valley. Truly the location is what sets this property apart from anything else. The views are spectacular.

So why are their only FOUR individual seats available at the end of the property? They surround a huge fire pit, which is lovely, but the lack of seating is awful.

The way the Lodge had been configured, there were lounges and seating all along the property's edge facing the valley, so that many could enjoy and relax day and evening and gaze on that awesome view.

No more. Aside from the firepit area, the rest of that cliff edge is now a walkway. Sure, you can sit back on the patio at the building and see out, but that really doesn't give you the same proximity or tranquil feel.

Another missed opportunity is the adult pool. It's also located at the edge of the property, facing that same view. It would've made an AMAZING infinity pool. Instead, the view is mostly blocked from in the pool because of the way the glass wall is affixed to the floor. You can certainly relax in a lounge chair, but it's at the far side of the pool, and when it's hot (it was over 110 when I was there), there isn't alot of time spent out of the water. It's a BIG miss.

The adult pool IS a great improvement on the property. Spa music is piped in, pool floats are available and the service is good (service at the entire resort was A+).

If I'd designed that pool, I would've definitely made certain that there was a bar. As is, the servers have to circle the property to fill food and beverage orders. Doesn't make sense to me.

Our room was adjacent the adult pool, ground floor with a fire pit. We'd specifically requested this as we wanted to be close to water and have somewhat private outdoor space.

A disappointment was that we had no control over the misters. There seemed to be no logic in when they went on and off, and without them, it was almost impossible to enjoy the space.

The room was nice - nothing special, but certainly not bad - and the bed was comfortable. The shower is a little awkward, because other than standing in the bathtub, there's no way you can turn it on w/o getting soaked. I let my husband get that first cold shock of water and jumped in after him.

The resort doesn't have a full service sundries store yet. We needed eye drops and the concierge sent us to the far end of the property to the spa's boutique. There we found the usual spa-wear, Ritz caps and tshirts, but no eye drops (or any other typical drugstore type items that are usually found at resorts). The gal at this boutique told us that the front desk had a little basket containing extra toothbrush, toothpaste type items, but nothing beyond the basics. So, don't forget anything you'll need!!

We were forced to get our car out of valet and drive down the hill to a store a few miles away. This problem will likely be solved in the autumn, when they expect to have everything up and running.

We decided that for the price (we spent about $1500 for the 4 days/3 nights we were there - and that was with significant discounts like free valet, free breakfasts, free WiFi), we won't be returning.

That special experience of relaxing overlooking the valley, upscale furnishings and decor is gone. There are plenty of other properties in the desert with much lower pricetags who offer the same good service and amenities as this one.

We'll likely be back for a cocktail and maybe to give the new restaurant (open sometime in the fall) a try. But we'll save our money and sleep elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
5 Thank LAGinagirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Let me begin by saying that I have been fortunate enough to spend many nights in quite a few Ritz Carlton Hotels and Resorts around the globe, not to mention many various other Branded Luxury Properties Worldwide....I say this because I truly consider myself to be a connoisseur of sorts. I am a Gold Level Ritz Carlton Rewards member, and it is my opinion that Among all of the Luxury Brands that Ritz Carlton is the Luxury Brand that truly "sets the bar", if you will! Not just for Luxury Properties, but among Luxury "services" in general... I must admit that I have been waiting and watching online and on various correspondence methods on the edge of my seat to here that The Ritz Carlton Rancho Mirage was actually and truly finished! I know that it has taken quite a few years to complete, and something to the ridiculous tune of Five-Hundred Million Dollars to complete...well let me tell you that number only sounds "ridiculous" if you haven't yet seen and better still, if you haven't "experienced" a nice amount if time there!
If you were lucky enough too...as was I, on the very first week they opened their doors with my now fiancé and my father then you too would agree it is a true Triumph of The perfect balance of Luxury meets Western Ranch on the top of the most beautiful vista in Southern California! It is so refreshing to be able to go to a Ritz Carlton and walk into the lobby and see perfectly groomed cactus.... Among stunning arrangements of flowers, smiling faces, comfortable, yet elegantly sophisticated furnishings with more of a "contemporary" and remarkably "homey" feel to it all! And not the assumed "stuffy" and "we require a Jacket" feel!
From the moment we arrived the entire staff at the Ritz Carlton Rancho Mirage....from Nicholas H. The Front Desk Manager...and all of the Fantastic Front Desk Staff made us feel as though we were arriving at our "home away from home" and this is why I feel as though I do about "Ritz Carlton" as a brand...I explained it to the staff there as such... "Being at a Ritz Carlton is like being in a new and exciting new relationship with who you know will be the love of your life....the way you mention loving something and that person remembers and immediately is sure to make that little or huge thing appear because, they just want you to be happy!" Example: the way I mentioned I LOVE Sweet tea, being from the south...and how lacking it is there.....only to return to my amazing room to find a huge pitcher of Sweet Black Iced Tea, and glasses and extra sugar with a card addressed to me and welcoming me to their lovely new resort and reminding me that I should ask for anything in the world!
The staff of the Ritz Carlton Rancho Mirage and the Staff of the fantastic Restaurant...Paul Jett and everyone else I am surely upset to not be mentioning, all add to the feel of luxury, and feeling if complete and utter relaxation that is exactly what we needed...the pools are to die for! The one our rooms faced was the adult pool...which literally hung at the edge of the cliff and sat with the sunrise and the night lights of Palm Springs with splendor! The night time was my favorite...the way they would light what seemed like 50 fire pits throughout the property was something out of a storybook! As was our entire week there! So to all of the "Gentleman and Woman of The Ritz-Carlton Rancho Mirage".....hats off to you! BRAVO and here is to you and a Job Well Done! You should be proud of yourselves and your accomplishments there! Thank you yet again to all of you for making this holiday one that would be filled with memories that the Gretchyn Family surely will keep for a lifetime!

Stayed May 2014
4 Thank dandbproductions
La Quinta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were all thrilled that The Ritz had reopened. We decided to celebrate with a "teacher luncheon" on our last day of school. All of enjoyed a cocktail before lunch at State Fair. They were perfect. All of us ordered lunch and it came in a timely fashion . It was delicious ! Juliet, from Guest services stopped by to be sure we were all having a good time. She also provided us with an extensive tour of the property. We were impressed with her knowledge of every aspect of the property and it's history.
We will be returning soon to celebrate the start of school. Thank you to the entire staff that we encountered during our visit. You deserve 5 stars!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Neveah1907
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

What to would expect from a Ritz property and I am very picky. Service was impeccable all over the property including the State Fare Restaurant which served great food. My family and I will be definitely coming here again. 5 plus stars and the rooms were all remodeled which is a great surprise.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank maverick132
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I first off need to set the record straight. I read a review below that said you are better off staying at the JW Marriott, you can not compare this hotel to the JW, the rooms at the JW are dated and still have that gross cottage cheese stuff on the ceilings. We stayed there last month and will never do so again. You can not compare this hotel to the JW. This hotel the Ritz is our new hotel of choice in the Desert, it is beautiful! The rooms are modern and clean and so well designed! We haven't left the property since we checked in. We have had every meal at the hotel, the food is good locally farmed and mostly organic which I love. The staff is attentive and helpful. The grounds are beautiful! They even have turn down service at night with chocolates on the bed! The JW most certainly does not have that! The JW only has disgusting bachelor parties and people looking to get drunk! My husband and I have very much enjoyed our stay and will absolutely be back with our kids! We came for the night to celebrate our anniversay because we originally stayed at the JW to celebrate and were so disappointed in our experience we came back to try the Ritz, and the Ritz was exactly the experience we were hoping for!

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
2 Thank SBH27
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We recently stayed for a week in July and had a great time. When we travel as a family, we typically stay at Four Seasons, Fairmont, etc. This resort definitely lives up to the Ritz Carlton luxury brand. This is truly a great property with staff going out of their way to ensure a great stay. Ricky the bellman provided a warm and friendly intro to our room and other amenities upon arrival. The dining room had a fantastic menu and staff greeted us by name each day we were there. Kids are definitely welcome here and are treated extra special. Aleesha, Shannon, Kyle and others in the dining room provided exceptional service. The spa, pool area, fitness centre are top notch. The valet team (Mark, Kevin, Scott, Scott and Nick) assisted us with a smile and quick service each time we came and went from the hotel. The rooms are spacious (we had a main floor, furnished patio room by the pool with a fire pit) and nicely decorated. Bathroom is great with an amazing deep tub. Can't say enough good things about this place-we will be back soon.

Room Tip: Main floor patio room, with fire pit, facing family pool.