“Not what we expected”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Just a few suggestions for management: Have front desk write down correct room number. We went to two rooms occupied by other guests in 115 degrees heat with a toddler, because the wrong number was written and wrong building was circled on map. Request potty training kids to wear a swim diaper, have them available for the lazy river that gets chemically imbalanced and closes down for an hour. State that Lazy River Water Park closes at 6pm but the other pools stay open until 9pm/10pm on website. The pool waiter staff must love their tips but there were food wrappers, empty cups, trash left under the lounge chairs every where. Very crowded lounges no space to walk, and not relaxing at all.

2  Thank janicem456
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Dear janicem456,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We’re very sorry to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay. Please know that we have forwarded them to our management staff for review and training purposes and that we are sincerely taking your suggestions into account. We hope to be able to welcome you back for a truly relaxing stay in the future.
Sincerely, Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (3,843)

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Below is what I thought:
I would like to give some feedback to you with regards to my first days experience at your resort.
Firstly I found my accommodation excellent and the grounds staff to be exceptional. As an example when I was checking my email on the patio on the ground floor, your grounds man turned off his lawn mower as he passed my patio and then turned it on again when he passed me.

This brings me to the poolside experience; unfortunately this was not so good. My occupation is in retail and my philosophy for my team is to put the customer first, build a relationship with the customer and then fulfill any need which they require.

My wife and I hired a cabana today at the pool to start our vacation in style. My expectation and previous experiences have been that when you go to that expense the service would reflected the cost. The cost is not at issue here, it is the service that we received that fell well below par.

After we had settled and got our things laid out in the cabana, we ordered drinks. Granted we waited 15 minutes before a representative came to us but thought that now that they knew we were here the service would improve.

Our drinks took a further 20 minutes to arrive! Meanwhile the chairs positioned in front of us received both service from one of your representatives and their drinks delivered before ours. Now I am not saying that the people in the lounge chairs do not deserve great service, what I am confused about is the fact that I had paid a premium for both privacy and service for my wife and myself.

Unfortunately that was the pattern for the rest of the day, even after I had brought it to the attention of one of your staff. I am sure they just thought we were complainers and didn’t pay it any attention. The next two drinks took way too long to be delivered. I ended up going back to my room and getting a drink. When I returned our drinks had still not been delivered, but one of your staff was quick to point out as she passed us by that she had seen them on the bar!

My next point is with regards to your dynamics of how your staff both takes orders and brings orders to the cabanas. As I previously pointed out my experience with building customer loyalty and customer satisfaction is based on the relationship the associate has built with the customer. I fail to see how you can achieve this by having one person take the order and then another random person deliver it. How am I going to build a relationship with my server if she does not fulfill the entire transaction?

My suggestions would be:

Firstly, have a system in place that a cabana can signal the server that they require service. This could be a flag placed in the up position when we need service and then put in the down position when the service is completed. This would not only free up your servers to take orders from the loungers, but also give the cabanas a method of communicating their need for service.

Secondly, have the same person serve the cabanas after they have taken the order. This will let your clients build a relationship with your staff and will boost the experience for the customer and also the tips for the servers.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank saharaotel
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Dear saharaotel,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We are truly sorry to hear about your experience with the service you were given at Splashtopia. We have forwarded your comments to our management staff to assist our team members in training. We would welcome more feedback from you and if you are willing, feel free to contact us at guestexperience@rancholaspalmas.com. We hope to be able to welcome you back for a completely enjoyable and relaxing stay in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2011

A terrific place for the family; great lazy river, water slide, rooms, close to so many restaurants. The food at the Splash Grill and Palm were better than expected, resort pricing but good experience. Wish there was a room refrigerator was the only shortcoming we had.

2  Thank lrcInlandEmpire_CA

Dear lrcInlandEmpire_CA,
Thank you for posting your review and for making a return trip after so many years! We’re glad that you came back to Rancho and enjoyed Splashtopia and a couple of the dining outlets. Thank you for choosing Rancho and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2011

Lovely property, grounds, across the street, short walk to The River, great restaurants, shops, and the movie theater. I enjoyed the friendly staff, fine dining, and live music, two very talented performers, while enjoying food & wine outdoors.
The spa was good, nice private spa guests only pool, with wonderful servers, and food.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank SoCalSiren

Dear SoCalSiren,
Thank you for posting your review! It’s sounds like you were able to enjoy a little bit of everything! We’re glad you and your friends were able to get away and relax. Thank you for choosing Rancho!

Reviewed 19 August 2011

Simple: great for families,the river across the road with restaurants and shops. splashtopia was fantastic and the slides for the kids were great and safety was well monitored by lifeguards. If you go to palm desert do yourself a favour and stay here

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Trumby68

Dear Trumby68,
Thanks for posting your review on TripAdvisor! We’re glad that you and your family enjoyed Splashtopia and our location! We take our lifeguard training very seriously and we’re glad to hear it shows. We hope to welcome you back again to Rancho soon!

Reviewed 18 August 2011

The room itself was just ok. Dark and kind of cave like. Our room had 2 double beds and they weren't very comfortable. The pool was great. Would probably suffer the beds for the pool. Staff was not real friendly.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Vin004

Dear Vin004,
Thank you for posting your review. We’re glad that you enjoyed Splashtopia but sorry to hear that you did not like the beds and that you did not find the staff friendly. Please know that we have sent your comments to our management team for training purposes and that we hope to welcome you back for a truly enjoyable stay in the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

We were looking for a great spot to bring the kids (age 11 and 5) for a midweek getaway. My wife did the research on TripAdvisor, then on their website, and Splashtopia definitely caught our eye (300 ft winding river, 2 water slides, a family pool, and a spa). The package we got included a tube for each girl, but there are also free ones in the river that you can grab. Drifting down the river (the automated current carries you effortlessly around and around). was JUST what the de-stress doctor ordered. If the resort didn't have this, I would have thought it was a good place to go, but Splashtopia definitely made it a great choice for our vacation. If you're looking to go to Palm Springs with kids and a great spot to help escape the 100+ degree weather, this is highly recommended!

Room Tip: If you're flexible on dates, check for midweek specials.