“Great Tennis Location/Average Hotel Accomodations”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed 19 January 2012

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the resort last week. This is a first rate tennis location but the room accomodations and service fall short. The tennis facility, which is managed by Peter Burwash, International, has staff and pros who were accomodating and professional in their approach. This facility hosts one of the 2 major junion programs in the country.

We didn't have children with us but the water slide and pool area would be an attraction for children. The 3 different 9 hole golf courses on site are nice but not as good as the facilities at the PGA courses, for example.

There are newer reviews for Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Reviewed 19 January 2012

We just got back from Rancho Las Palmas after spending a toasty 99-degree weekend. How much do I like this resort? A lot. I've gone here twice. More on this later. How can I tell this isn't a 5 star resort? Let's count the ways: I noticed the same empty cups, lids, straws, empty bottles, wristbands, hairbands etc. strewn around the edge of the pool on Sunday that were there Saturday afternoon; someone needs to do a walkthrough first thing in the morning and pick up the trash, it sets a bad tone for the whole day. Restaurant is merely good, not exciting or what I would call delicious. Food arrived cold and overcooked, service slow and they forgot to bring condiments or ask if we needed any. Wait staff in the restaurant were glorified busboys, they tried very hard, were excruciatingly polite and adhered to script but there were those subtle details that told you they didn't "study" to be in the hospitality industry. One of the lady waiters was overwight, sloppy and had kind of a surly vibe as she scuffed by - the type that doesn't look you in the eye, and looked like she wanted to spit in yours. This resort is right across the street from The River, which has some very nice restaurant choices, so you won't starve. In the room itself, we found a noticeable coating of dust on the snack tray, on the bottles as well as the snack packages; they were wrinkly and looked like they'd been handled multiple times by various people instead of having a fresh appearance. These were presented with a bent/water-damaged menu stuck in the side - these menus should be replaced, it looks kind of tacky. Also the soap dishes are chipping paint (a lot), which looks sort of cheap considering the overall quality the resort wants to project. Toilets flush kind of slow - also, the handles seem loose, about to break off. These are not quality fixtures. Another guest told me his toilet handle actually did break off. Time to replace these? Also the sliding glass doors were badly streaked so maybe they need to clean those early in the morning before the heat dries the window cleaner solution too quickly. The room was very nice overall but these little details left the impression things weren't too clean, even if they were. Other dislikes: plastic granite instead of real granite in bathrooms. Pool extremely crowded with kids even in the height of summer. Rooms a little on the small side, considering the cost and pretensions as a world-class resort. Walls are thin, we were treated to squalling babies and some of your heavier guests thundering across the floor upstairs. We compensated by turning up a very impressive 42" TV. We like our TV. The Tennessee/UCLA game looked extremely colorful. :) Staff is okay but again the housekeepers don't look too well-vetted -I realize housekeepers aren't required to be fashion models or have a advanced degrees, but you could tell they didn't look very far to hire these folks. All this being said: this is still a great destination, it's very attractive in design; I'd go back in a heartbeat for the swell lazy river and water slides and overall delicious, relaxed feel of the grounds. I prefer the (cheaper) golf course rooms nearest the gate since the back door / patio overlooks a deep gully (valley?) which is the end of the golf course, just as it turns back into the dry river it was built from. So it has a kind of natural-desert-meets-green grass feel, a nice place to hang out and read under the trees. They are offering a $100 resort credit right now for Autumn stays (the rates just went up so you're not saving much.) I haven't stayed in the pricier rooms so I can't speak to those - I'd take an upgrade instead of the resort credit if it were offered. A huge, huge plus: you can park right in front of your hotel room. Even at the fancy-schmancy Hyatt Grand Champions you have to walk half a mile from the parking lot and you almost croak from the heat. Be sure to check your rate when you leave by the way, someone entered my package wrong at the front end and I almost paid for two breakfasts that were supposed to be included.
*** Update. At the end of my last stay, the desk clerk "couldn't find" my reservation and proceeded to charge me the rack rate, not what I booked in advance. He kept repeating "I can't give you that rate" over and over, and demanded I produce the confirmation number. The person he said was the manager was standing right next to him and neither of them were looking at me. As I stood there perspiring and arguing, with tears in my eyes because I was about to miss my flight, I couldn't believe I was getting the shakedown at the front desk like I was a criminal, in front of all the other guests. Since I couldn't locate the number I was forced to pay an extra $120, until weeks later after I found the general manager and had them escalate the problem. This really, really ruined the weekend. After being such a loyal customer, and bringing other customers, a shred of courtesy would have been nice.

Room Tip: I wouldn't advise the poolside rooms unless you have kids and like noise - but then again all th...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SoCalRambler
Reviewed 18 January 2012

One of the best hotels in the area. I love the Spanish Colonial feel of this property ~ it's warm, inviting and makes one feel very comfortable upon arrival. Iced lemon or orange water in the lobby is another nice touch for travelers. Greeted by a very hospitable reservations clerk started our visit off pleasantly. Our room in the 100 building overlooked the lake and was located between the spa and golf course, across from the adult pool which was perfectly positioned to take advantage of this great property. When asked by the front desk if we were traveling with children, I thought what an odd thing to ask, but in retrospect, it made perfect sense when I saw the placement of our room which was located AWAY from Splashtopia.

Splashtopia is the hotels mini water park complete with 2 waterslides, a faux beach, water guns, pop up sprinklers and a meandering "river" to lazily float on tubes. If you are traveling with children, this area would be a definite highlight!

Settled in and explored... the hotel offers a gift shop that is rather high end, but has a stock of beautiful items. Wonderful area in the lobby beside the fireplace to curl up with a good book, or head to the Palms Cafe for Starbucks coffee. Palms Cafe offers snacks, breakfast and lunch items with great outdoor dining for those that would like to take advantage of the sunshine while looking out over the "tranquility" (adult) pool and golf course surrounded by numerous types of flowers. Best surprise of the Palms Cafe was the computer stations.

Rancho Las Palmas is serious about it's gardening upkeep, small areas of water and flowers. The grounds are immaculate with benches dotted here and there throughout the landscape, the water fountains offer a sparkling backdrop and the abundant flower beds perfume the air as one walks by. Very visually pleasing.

Spent the last two hours of the day at the spa. Robes were VERY plush, lockers quite clean and the amenities were great; heated pool for spa guests was tranquil with cascading fountains to help block out resort noise, hot tub inside was a little too warm for me, but didn't seem to bother the other two guests who were indulging. The two saunas, one steam and one dry were perfect temps, numerous bathrooms and showers for privacy with the usual amenities found in an upper end spa. I could spend a day here with no problem if it wasn't for the money issue - like most spas in the desert region, they are pricey.

Ordered a night cap from "R" Bar and then joined a group around the outdoor fire bowl. The firebowl is surrounded by boulders big enough to use as foot rests and seating is offered in very comfortable rocking chairs with thick padding. An attendant came out several times during the evening and offered blankets for those that needed them ~ very nice touch! A jazz combo was playing in the restaurant and you could hear the music which provided a great backdrop to the night. Surrounded by tiki torches, enjoying the warmth of the fire, engaging in conversations with people and star gazing it was a perfect way to end the evening,

A very comfortable bed and a good nights sleep were all we needed to start the next day off in a great frame of mind. Decided we would indulge ourselves with breakfast at Blue Ember. Served by a very attentive waiter, had the breakfast wrap and hubby had the eggs benedict.... both were delicious!

Rancho Las Palmas offered a great escape and my only complaint was we couldn't stay longer.....

Room Tip: Try the Desert Heat drink in the "R" bar. So very good!
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Two days prior to arriving I confirmed our room type and location. The person I talked to said everything was in order. When we arrived at the resort I went to the front desk to check in. I was told we had a lovely room overlooking the lake. I then stated that I had booked and confirmed a room on the second floor overlooking the children's pool area. The young man at the front desk then told me that the children's pool and the rooms surrounding the pool were closed. I then told him the only reason I had booked this resort was for the pool area because of my son. There was no proper explanation for the reason the pool was closed, they just stated the room they placed us in was the only one available. It was far from the main hotel area and the adult pool (which was now open to the children). The front desk staff were not very polite. Another lady at the front desk then stated they could move us to The Westin Mission Hills. We went to this hotel and were impressed not only with the service we received but the pools and grounds were beautiful. We decided to move hotels with the help of Westjet Vacations. I would not book this hotel again due to the lack of service we received and as others have stated in their reviews, the type of room and the price you pay are not worth staying at this resort.

Room Tip: Very little selection on room types, especially if you are traveling with your children.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Karen L
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Dear Karen L,
Thank you for posting your review. We’re very sorry to hear that the service you received here was not satisfactory and that the family pool was closed very suddenly for repairs. Please know that your review has been sent to our management team for review and use in training. We hope to be able to welcome you back for a truly enjoyable stay in the future.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

The room was well appointed and had a beautiful view of the golf course, main hotel buildings and the mountains beyond. The restaurants were quite nice, and the food very good. We played tennis each day - world class tennis facilities. The golf course is nice, though not in the least challenging and maintained a bit like a municipal track, and the starter was a bit hurried and rude. The main pool area was very nice, though became crowded and noisy as the weekend approach and families arrived en mass from LA. All in all, as very pleasant stay, attentive, friendly staff and beautiful surroundings. We would certainly return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pond and main building. That way you will be closer to everything...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank J0sRad

Dear JosRadGlobal,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor! We very glad to hear that you enjoyed many activities here at Rancho, especially tennis. We’re sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the golf course as much as the tennis facility but please know that we recently hired a new superintendant so the course will only be improving! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 13 January 2012

My parents watched our 2-year-old so my husband and I could have a little getaway at Rancho Las Palmas. I was really, really looking forward to relaxing and enjoyable weekend. Everything was fine at check-in. There is no valet service- the property is large and you drive around to your room. The grounds are beautifully manicured, so we enjoyed driving around to our room. We had very little luggage, so it was easy to carry everything from the car to the room, but it might be an issue if you had children and luggage with you (as we usually do). The room was fine- not bad, but not great. Honestly, it just felt like a Holiday Inn- perfectly nice and clean, but nothing special. I was a little disappointed, but I got over it and we went to check out the pool. There are two pool areas- one for families and one for adults. The Splashtopia family pool area is amazing and my son would have loved it. Kids will never want to leave! We then went over to the adult pool for some quiet time in the sun. The pool area was nice and we had a drink and relaxed. There were some very annoying women practically yelling on their cell phones, but that seems to be the norm now! We had dinner at the restaurant and I was very pleased with our meal.
The bed was perfectly comfy, so I was really looking forward to sleeping in, especially since I have a toddler at home. It was while we were trying to fall asleep that I realized the rooms are not sound proof at all. Now, I am not a picky sleeper. I can sleep pretty much anywhere, but this room was loud. I could hear people walking by, cars out on the main road, etc. I finally got to sleep and was not super thrilled when I heard the grounds crew outside at 6am. I could hear every conversation the housekeeping staff was having as they walked by our room. I could also hear the traffic on Bob Hope Drive. Our room was not even facing a main walkway, so I don't want to know what the other rooms were like. I was bummed to be awake earlier than I would have been at home.
The breakfast buffet was expensive, but good.
Overall our trip was not bad, but I felt like something was missing. I was looking forward to a more luxurious stay, especially since the price was steep. The pool area was the highlight, otherwise I would find another place to stay if we returned.

Room Tip: Do NOT get a room in the 100-500 buildings. These are closer to Bob Hope Drive and you WILL hear tr...
3  Thank CTS80

Dear CTS80,
Thank you for posting your review. We’re sorry to hear that your experience here left something to be desired and that the level of noise you experienced interrupted your ability to sleep in. Please know that your review has been sent to our management team for review and use in training. We hope to be able to welcome you back for a truly enjoyable stay in the future.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

This Hotel deserves 3 stars becuase of the nice pool. It is no better than a good best western. We paid nearly $300 per night with taxes ad the crazy $28 resort fee.

If you cannot book a room for under $175 all taxes and fees included, please do not waste your time.

Room Tip: if you stay here choose a west facing room

Dear waltermichael,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We’re sorry that you felt your stay here wasn’t worth the price you paid. Summer time is our season and you might prefer to come at that time. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!