“overall good”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
california
“overall good”
Reviewed 9 July 2010

This hotel is lovely. the room was very nice and very clean. there is a family pool area and lazy river that was extremely over crowded. however, there is an adult pool that was wonderful. the staff is excellent. the golfing was good. If you don't have kids, ask for a room away from the kids pool. the grounds are large so this should not be a problem.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
Dear ferg1,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We’re glad that you found that everything at the resort met your expectations! We hope that you’ll be able to visit again very soon!
Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Korean first
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed 6 July 2010

This resort is just awesome. It gorgeous! We just got back from a stay with a huge group of friends who all brought their kids. Everyone always has a guaranteed great time when we stay here. Personally I have three young kids and there was something to do for all of them.

Highlights
1. The pools are awesome. They have a huge pool that is fun to splash around in. They have a lazy river that is refreshing and fun, a splash area and two water slides. They also have a beach area that has sand and they provide all the sand toys so no need to bring your own.
At the pool there are towels, plenty of cold water, cups and ice for free. You only need to bring your sunscreen and you can enjoy a great day all day out at the pool.
They have servers coming around constantly so you can enjoy food service and drinks at the pool. They also have a little splash cafe in the shade area so you can actually sit and cool off and eat lunch.
2. Rooms. If you have small kids and want to enjoy the pool area, I highly recommend you pay extra and get a poolside room or a lakeside room. It makes a huge difference having your room near the pool.
The rooms are all pretty large. Flat screen TV's in room with HD and free HBO and other premium channels which was nice. There always seemed to be a good free movie playing at night (Harry Potter one night, etc.)
3. Misc. They have a Starbucks, an Ice Cream place and a little place that has bagels, cream cheese and small stuff near the front desk and on the property. This is a nice touch if you do not want to pay huge amounts for breakfast or go out for breakfast. They do have coffee makers in the room and good coffee, but Starbucks is always a plus in my family.
4. Enjoy the night swimming for the kids. They have swimming until 10pm, this was a total blast for my kids.
5. Check out what activities are going on by the pool. While we were there this past week they had free crafts and some pay crafts. Free crafts included coloring beach balls to keep. The kids loved it, nice touch. The paid crafts were making Tie Die shirts, ceramics and stuff like that. The prices were fine for all of this.
6. This resort is within walking distance to tons of fun shopping and dining. The River is directly across the street and a nice walk. It was an easy walk even for a four year old. At the River they have Yard House, Cheesecake Factory, Pizza Place, PF Changs and others, check it out.

The hotel couldn't be in a better location.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Dear bidder5000,
Thank you for posting your review and listing your favorite things about Rancho! We’re glad that enjoyed Splashtopia and our great location! We hope that Rancho Las Palmas will continue to be a destination for your family!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I had booked this trip for a weekend getaway for me and some girlfriends. I had selected the hotel based on its website -- looked like a beautiful resort for a great value.
Unfortunately, this hotel did not live up to my expectations for so many different reasons. Where to start...
1. The rooms -- our room had dead bugs upon arrival and a horrible musty smell the entire trip. Additionally, rooms are very outdated and cheap looking (the bathroom door is actually a screen door).
2. DO NOT be fooled by the breakfast package -- this is worded on the web site to make it seem as though you are getting a $50 value for breakfast, when in fact, they add this on to your room charge. So if you thought your room rate for one night was $229 (and that included breakfast), they will charge you $279. And this is not including all the resort fees and different taxes added on.
3. The tranquility pool is a joke -- nothing tranquil about it. It's smaller than the pictures show and not nearly as nice. Additionally, there is bird poop all over the lounge chair cushions, which is beyond disgusting.
4. The spa is not even close to a luxury spa. It is an outdated hotel space where they put spa rooms. We did the summer spa package, which was a 50-minute massage and 25-minute facial. The facial actually lasted about 10 minutes and the other 15 was the therapist selling us on the products they had just used on our face. The massage itself was okay, but inconsistent among my friends. Some had good massages, others had just mediocre. For the price, would NEVER book for the price. And believe me, I am a regular spa-goer, so can say without certainty this is not worth your time or money.
5. Business center, HA! They have two computers and charge $5.95 for 20 minutes. What a complete joke. And the fitness center old, outdated and small.
6. Finally, this hotel tries to appear to be luxury, when it is not even close. Completely over-priced, hidden fees, outdated facilities... if you are thinking about booking a trip to Palm Springs, definitely do your research as there are many other resorts/hotels for around the same price that will live up to the expectations.

Not only would I never recommed this hotel to anyone, I will be making sure to write every review I can on this hotel to state my disappointment. Sorry Ranchos Las Palmas, you get an F on the grade scale for this trip.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank tjlando
Dear tjlando,
We sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please understand that we take your feedback very seriously, and our entire management team reads each and every review, both online and offline. We’d greatly appreciate the opportunity to hear more about your stay and change your impression of the resort.
bel air
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Just home from a 4 nite stay. This resort is FABULOUS to say the least. I have stayed in practically every resort in Palm Desert and this has become one of my favorites. It was a blessing to have ducks greet me on my patio every morning. Very clean and large bright rooms. Loved it. Can't say much about the food. I prefer not to spend huge $$'s at resorts for breakfast. We did a five minute drive to IHOP and Dennys. Got an Omelette and 3 pancakes for 10.69. Lunch and dinner: we had Vons Groceries we purchased from down the street, (even though the hote; had a nice bar-b-que for only 19.00.) They had a movie on the 4th of July but for small kids (The Spy next DooR) so my teen and I went to the Movie Theater across the street. The only MAJOR, MAJOR complaint is, the hotel does not offer the DISNEY CHANNEL, which makes life difficult for teens who do not watch the cartoon network anymore. Which also means, we'd probably go back to the Esmeralda resort just to keep my teen occupied after the pool.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Dear msbeverlyhills,
Thanks for posting your review! We’re glad that you enjoyed the resort! We are currently revising our contract for in-room channels and we will be getting the Disney channel very soon! We hope to see you again!
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My family( me, my husband & our 20 month old son) stayed at Rancho las Palmas for 3 nights at the end of June. The resort is beautiful & the rooms are nicely updated. The rooms are large but the bathroom seemed a bit small but had two counter space areas which was nice. Wish the rooms had a fridge...had to pay the extra fee since we needed to have milk on hand for my son. They really should have a fridge in all the rooms since it is such a family friendly hotel. We were upgraded to a poolside room which was nice to be so close but I would rather be a little further away...is was a bit loud on movie night & when my son was trying to take a nap. The Splashtopia pool is lots of fun for kids & they keep the pool area very clean. We enjoyed having a cabana...it was nice to have the shade for my son. The food by the pool was really good...I had the turkey wrap everyday! I did have an issue with my food on the last day which I think could have been addressed a little better. The grounds of the resort are really beautiful...my son loved to go by the lake & see the ducks. It was also very nice that they have a Starbucks on property. Rancho Las Palmas has a perfect location....great to be able to walk across the street to The River. We had dinner at PF Chang's & Cheesecake Factory. The onsite restaurant seemed a bit expensive for dinner...especially when you have so many options within walking distance. Overall, we had a really wonderful stay & I would highly recommend this resort...we will return & it will probably be soon! We did have a few minor issues...keys not working after first night( they brought them to the pool for me) and the food issue on one of the days. Nothing that would keep us from returning. I have already recommended Rancho Las Palmas to my friends & family! Wonderful stay! :)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Dear pedslvn75,
Thank you so much for posting your review! We’re glad you and your family enjoyed Rancho and Splashtopia! Our location and how close we are to The River is one of our favorite things and we’re glad you agree! We hope to see you again soon!
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Every year when my three daughters come to visit me in Palm Desert, Ca. I want to treat them to a day at the Rancho Las Palmas Spa. They have always been thrilled at the anticipated treatments, massages and facials. But this particular trip was such a disappointment, so much so that they will not return for Spa treatments. I just believe other patrons should be warned.
As my three daughters put on their suits in preparation for the steam room, sauna and jacuzzi, they stood in front of the steam room deciding which to do first. As they stood there, another woman walked up in her robe, and promptly dropped her robe to expose her nude body and went in to the jacuzzi. My daughters being shocked, went in to the steam room. As they sat there another lady, unknown to the first one, walked up, dropped her robe and exposed her nude body and went in to the jacuzzi. My daughters were not about to get in to the jacuzzi. This would be like taking a bath with nude people, which they wouldn't even do with their sisters. It totally ruined their day. I just want others to be warned, as they do not advertise it as a clothing optional hotel. I wrote to the manager, Mr Woo I believe, and he was not even so kind as to respond. Obviously he does not care. I live in the area, plus my nephew lives right across the way and spends or did spend a lot of money at that hotel, entertaining out of town visitors. I don't think that is happening any more. Please be forewarned.

• Stayed September 2009
San Jose, California
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We just returned from a two night stay at the Rancho Las Palmas resort in Palm Springs. This was our first trip to Palm Springs, and boy, was it hot-- but the resort was prefectly set up for the weather. We went for the pools. We have two kids, 4 and 6, and both spent much of our trip in the water. There is a lazy river, about 400 ft, with lots of inner tubes that everyone floats in, two waterslides, some fountains, and another large pool that is 3.5 to 4 ft in depth. Surrounding the larger pool are lots of chairs and umbrellas. There are lifeguards in both areas, and I thought they did a good job of keeping the older kids from being too rowdy without being terrifically strict. Onsite there is a shop to buy water toys-- we ended up splurging on a pair of water pistols, small ones which kept the kids and adults amused for hours. The pools were both very clean, and the staff did a good job of keeping it that way.
We also had the family getaway package, but unlike another reviewer, I thought it was a good deal for us. Our kids used their inner tubes quite a bit in the larger pool and now they have a great souvenir to take home. Also, we found the breakfast credit to be more than ample to feed our family of four. If your kids are 12 or under, they can go to the kid buffet free for every paying adult (kid buffet: pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit). That left $50 for two adults. We ordered off of the menu-- not sure if there is not an adult buffet on the weekdays, when we were there-- everything arrived quickly, and the food was consistently good. During our stay, we had the huevos rancheros, eggs benedict, oatmeal brulee (highly recommended-- with berries and sugar that is carmelized under a broiler), and a bagel and lox. We had food credit to spare.
The checkin process went smoothly for us-- we were upgraded from a vista room to one overlooking the golf course but only steps away from the pool (thanks, David!). I think that even though we had kids, we would not have wanted a room looking out onto the pool because of the noise. (Our kids are too young to leave by themselves.) The room we were given was perfect. The view was lovely and peaceful; the room itself cool and immaculate. Beds extremely comfortable. In the evenings, my son and I would walk around the golf course and look at the baby ducks and tadpoles in the ponds on the golf course with the purple mountains as a backdrop-- really lovely.
Another nice thing is that there is a major retail complex called the River right across the street with many restaurants (PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, etc.) so you are not tied to the resort. We spent one afternoon there at the movies to get out of the heat.
I thought the pricing was very reasonable for the service and quality of resort that we received. When your biggest complaint is the songbirds waking you up in the morning, you know that you've had a great visit.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank redwood2bay2016
Dear tandem_go,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We’re very glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay here at Rancho! Thank you for posting such great tips for other guests to use! We hope you are able to visit again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!