“Hotel in transition!”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed 13 March 2007

We stayed at The Rancho Las Palmas last weekend (March 9th-11th) for 2 nights and got a really good deal on one of their Grande Suites by reserving it same day. The lobby was very relaxing and spa-like, but when you pull up in the front of the hotel they are doing some refurbishing and there are alot of trees/plants/flowers laid out like a nursery. There is a sign apologizing, and in the lobby they are completely remodeling the gift shop so it is all boarded up and you can't buy anything except a few tiny things at the front desk. They told me to go to Long Drugs around the corner, lol. There is a spa gift shop but it was closed at 7pm so I missed it.

Our suite was giant (maybe 1500-1800sq ft.) and wonderful with a connecting room w/ king sizebed and great with kids. It is pretty old and runned down, but I expected it to be since I was told by friends. We ate at the hotel restaurant by the lobby Friday night, the service was awful and the food was not very good, but could have been worse. The grounds were really beautiful, tons of gorgeous flowers everywhere but they are going to tear up some parts of sidewalk and pool area since they are all marked up with orange paint and flags that stick in the ground. A bummer, but it did not really bother me too much. The pool area was great for our kids (9) and (6) who loved the water slide and fountain area. The service at the pool was awful though, it took us an hour to get lunch after ordering it, and we didn't even get it all.

We had ordered room service breakfast Sat. morning at 8:30am and did not get it until after 10am, we were very upset. We also ordered more towels after housekeeping only left us 2 the next day and we finally called to cancel it since it got so late and they never came. Really, this hotel at the moment is lacking BIG TIME in service and food. I think if KSL does the 30 million $ remodel, it better rework the service as well, or it won't work. The bed was comfy, but we kept hearing the people above us all night. We were in suite 3211-12 , and it was great to open the door onto the golf course and feed the ducks, the kids loved that.

Overall, I think the property is nice, but needs a complete rehaul in all areas. I would come back in a year or two when it was finished to try it again. We did have fun even with the problems!!!! This summer we are trying Renaissance Esmerelda, so we will see how it compares. We have stayed at the JW Marriott, which I loved except the pool area. We have also tried the Westin Mission Hills which was ok, but it was a long time ago so I don't really remember! Usually we are in Hawaii, San Diego or at Disneys Grand California, but Palm Desert is a wonderful place for families too it seems!!!!!

If you can get this hotel for a steal, I say go for it knowing the problems, or wait a year or two until it is all reworked!

Good Luck,
Family in the OC

Stayed: March 2007
6  Thank familyintheoc
There are newer reviews for Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Reviewed 19 January 2007

I booked this hotel after looking in Orbitz for hotels in Palm Springs. I made my reservation, and then I remembered about Trip Advisor and logged in to check the hotel. As you can see, the reviews are horrible so I decided to cancel and called the hotel, but they told me that if I cancelled they would charge me $190 dollars, so I was forced to stay there. To my delight, everything was wonderful. I went with my wife and my daughter and we were just delighted with everything. The setting is beautiful. Someone in the reviews said that the rooms had old furniture but that is not true. This is really a luxury hotel and the service is excelent. When we checked in I requested a crib for my baby and the crib was there waiting for us by the time I reached my room. The food was also delicious, pricy, but real good. Everything there is pricy, but keep in mind that this is really a luxury hotel, and you are getting what you are paying for.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank romelito
Reviewed 5 December 2006

The property is amazing and conveniently located near the McCallum Theater where we were going. The rooms are spacious and the pools are so much fun...not to mention heated. The staff was amazing. I am hard to please...I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank feutze
Reviewed 16 November 2006

Okay, we had seen some warning signs on Tripadvisor, but after talking to the hotel, it seemed that we were going to have a nice room. (And we knew we would love the location.)
And we DID love the location......we just hated the room. In fact, the whole resort just seems like one big barking dog. This resort has been purchased from Mariott and the new owners need to "git 'er done." By that, we mean a complete and total renovation. The grounds were ugly and poorly lit; the landscaping was nil; the rooms are worn and ugly. The surprising positive thing (as also mentioned by another reviewer), are the bed linens and beds. We were supposed to stay three nights here and we could barely stay one. If the new owners fix this place up, it should do well in its location. In the meantime, just drive right on by.

Stayed: November 2006
7  Thank mskitz
Reviewed 6 November 2006

Be warned KSL have just bought this place from Marriott. When we arrived at 2pm we were told we could not check in til 4pm. A receptionist took our phone no and said they would call, when the room was ready. Several hours later...no call, headed back to reception - no record of booking despite our earlier confirmation! They said no king bed rooms left despite us ordering apparently they do not guarantee room type be warned.

We were insistent and eventually got a king room although not poolside as we had booked. They did give us a 50$ food credit.

However all the staff on reception were new trainees the computer system did not work they only had 2 staff on at a time and the queues were bad.

The hotel grounds are lovely although badly lit at night all the rooms are little units and miles away from hotel reception and valet is non existant. They do offer a shuttle cart which you can phone from your room to pick you up from your unit and transfer you back to reception.

The bar near the poolside shuts about 5pm on a Fri / Sat afternoon and there are only limited drinks available from a makeshift bar in the courtyard.

Not a luxury experience and my husband and I will not be going back!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rag90
Reviewed 5 November 2006

My husband and I wanted a quick weekend get away and went on Expedia to book this hotel. The pictures on the website were beautiful. I even reviewed it here and the only negative comment I found was that you had to drive to your room. SO, we booked it. We pulled up to the hotel and were still impressed. However, as another person wrote, it is like an apartment complex. Our room had nice linens, and that was about it. After being in the room for about 2 minutes, my husband had already killed 11 mosquitos, I thought this was the desert! I called the front desk asking if this was common and the person's response was, yes, unfortunately, b/c of the standing water around the "golf course," they do get a lot of mosquitos. Luckily, we were on our way out to dinner, so they sent someone over to spray the room. I'm not sure what they sprayed, but that was the last of the mosquitos. The pool they show on the website is the spa pool. The spa is nice, but unless you get a treatment, you are not able to use the spa pool. Luckily we did, so we did not have to use the other pool, which were not very impressing.

The tennis and golf amenities that makes this a "resort" are not impressing either. The grass on the golf course is dead, it looked awful. OH, you have to pay!! You have to drive to the tennis courts, b/c they are part of some other residential complex next door. When we drove up there to use the courts, they wanted $20. I paid, b/c I knew that was just her job, I would take it up when we checked out. When we checked out, I basically said you are falsely advertising the "resort" by claiming there is tennis when you 1) have to drive to it when it is even located on their "resort" map (which it is not) and 2) requiring to pay for playing outside tennis. Who pays for outside tennis? I could have mapquested some nearby high school and played for free. They took off the $20.

One good thing was the location. It is right across the street from "The River," which is basically an outdoor mall with restaurants, and Roy's is also nearby.

Overall, b/c I had such high expectations from the extremely flattering pictures on the website, I was pretty disappointed. I would maybe stay there again if I got a really good deal on a room, maybe.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Jeanos
Reviewed 27 October 2006

It is very deceiving to drive up to this resort as it looks luxurious and beautiful as you drive up. Then you pay a lot of money to basically end up staying in what looks like an apartment complex. The hotel web site pictures of the pool are deceiving in that the pool also looks like an apartment pool and is only 3-1/2 deep all the way around. Didn't check out the other, smaller "quiet" pool as we had kids. The one slide that it has drops off into a small circular pool just slightly bigger than a jacuzzi. The complex is so large it's not like you are even near the luxurious front lobby and you have to drive to your room. There are $5.99 bottles of water in your room and they make sure you want it by not putting any vending machines in your buildings-even though there deceptively are signs that say "vending machines". I discovered this at night when I was thirsty and only found an ice machine there. The tiny refrigerator in the room wasn't cold enough. The room/bathroom were just very average. For the price we paid we could have had an ocean view room so we were severely disappointed with our stay. We felt duped-we drove hours only to stay in an apartment! Nothing about our stay felt "luxurious". How does this place get 5 stars-except maybe its lobby area.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!