“Not Worth the Money”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I won't be going back to this pricey resort, ever.
My Uncle is allergic to bees.. so guess what's in the connecting suite(my cousin's room) a bee. His throat will swell, etc.. 2 hrs to get the bee guy there.
Aunt and Uncle's air doesn't work.

Someone used the main pool as a toilet, we were told to get out there is a chemical problem. We find out what that problem was and it was on the inside and outside of the pool. Repulsive!

Too many balls dropped by employees.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2010

Dear MizThang23,
We apologize that we did not meet you expectations during your stay here at Rancho. We take seriously the sanitary standards throughout the resort which is why we evacuated the pool to properly clean all areas. We are sorry that it took the bee control contractor two hours to arrive but rest assured that all outside areas were thoroughly checked to insure there were no nests on property for your Uncle’s safety and the safety of our other guests. Please feel free to contact us directly at guestexperience@rancholaspalmas.com to address any further issues.
Sincerely, Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Reviewed 19 July 2010

Just returned yesterday from a weekend trip with my wife and two little ones. Stayed in a Poolside room (building 14). Room was good -- A/C was excellent (outside temp got to 119!).

Only two negatives:

1) Grounds were a little messy. When I arrived on Friday evening there was a Baja Fresh drink cup on top of the fence of the pool. When I left on Sunday the cup was still there. This is a very high traffic area so I expected it to be picked up. Also someone dropped a fruity drink on the pathway just outside the enterance to the pool on Saturday -- a big blue, goopy mess. On Sunday it was still there (but a dried blue mess). Even the Lazy River had trash all around the edges (lifeguards and wait staff did not pick up). Heck, some of the trash on Sunday was left there on Saturday (I saw it there on Saturday as well).

2) Lifeguards "played" to much with the guests. The majority of the lifeguards were very good. Most of them had their "eyes on the water" at all times. But there were a few of them who engaged in squirt gun play with guests floating around the lazy river. Not only did this take there eyes off the water (a lifeguard MUST), but it encouraged more horseplan in the Lazy River. As a parent of little ones this was unwelcomed.

All in all a great time (even with 119 degree weather). Just a couple of items to work on....

Dear bigcamtom,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We’re very sorry that your experience at the pool did not meet expectations and we have passed along your feedback to the appropriate departments. Please know that we take great pride in assuring a safe and fun environment for all of our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Sincerely, Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Reviewed 18 July 2010

We stayed for 5 days, 4 nights. Our room was in building #10. Everything was great. The staff was awesome and would go the extra mile for you. We forgot to order our fruit tray when we rented the cabana. It was closing time for the Cabana staff and kitchen. The manager never hesitated and ran back, reopened the kitchen and brought it out promptly. The staff were great at bringing water, ice (especially great when you have a young child who is in 108 degree tempatures).

The staff at the BluEmber were top notch. We had the same server on 2 different occasions and she made everything personable, friendly, she made some excellent recommendations all while keeping 3 young children entertained duing a 3 course meal. The cupcakes and icecream are amazing. The kiddie cupcake was awesome (covered in tons of gummy bears). They are huge (like 1 cupcake could serve 2-3 people). The food was awesome. Every single dish we tried, appetizers, salads, soup, it was all terrific.

Splashtopia was perfect. It had something for everybody and the kids were never bored. Lazy river, slides, splash area, beach and even hot tubs. When it closed it was easy to transition the kids over to the pool. They sell everything you could imagine at the pool store. Floaties, toys, games, towels and I mean everything.

We hit balls off the range. The golf store was awesome, the staff was very attentive and were quick to pick us up at our room via golf cart and very prompt to return us when we were finished. They had some great buys in the golf store.

The room was awesome. Bed comfortable. I loved the room darkening curtains. It was very clean.

We did bring alot of snacks but my husband loved the yogurt, granola cups at the Cafe and lunch at the pool was terrific so we never got around to eating/bringing our own snacks down to the pool.

The hotel gift shop had tons of stuff. My husband loved the hotel shampoo and they had some awesome deals (like buy 1 get 2 free). The shop was always full of people buying and they had a great selection of things.

We are in Southern Cal so we bought our gift cards at Costco. We booked during the summer when it was the least expensive (family on a budget). But we are definitely planning to go back next year, same time.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2010

Dear SouthernCalmom,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We’re so glad that you and your family had a great time here and that our staff was able to go above and beyond to make sure you had a great experience! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 18 July 2010

I chose this hotel because it met all of my needs. It allows pets, has a waterpark for the kids, has cabanas by the pool, it is within walking distance to fine shopping and dining, and has a full spa. I stayed for the 4th of July weekend with my wife, 5 year old daughter, 15 year old son, my in laws and 2 dogs. Everything was perfect for all of us. My wife and mother in law enjoyed the spa, my father in law enjoyed bar with sports on TV. My son and daughter enjoyed the pool and waterpark, I enjoyed the pool, gym and our nice quiet room overlooking the beautiful golf course. The dogs enjoyed their complimentary treats, water bowls and their own beds in each room provided by the hotel. I am looking forward to our next stay at Rancho Las Palmas.

Dear americanlimo,
Thank you for posting your review! We’re so glad that you and your family (including the furry family members!) loved Rancho Las Palmas! We hope that you’ll be able to come back again very soon!

Reviewed 15 July 2010

Our family (2 parents and 3 kids) had a great time at Ranchos Las Palmas. We don't get to go on vacation that often and we are on a budget. We felt our money was well spent. The staff was polite and went above and beyond to make my entire family feel welcomed.
We planned this vacation to be all about the kids...and we weren't disappointed. Splahtopia is awesome! There were a lot of pleasant surprises...the R Bar is opened to kids on Mon and Tues, lots of kid friendly activities that involved the entire family, and craft stuff kids at the pool.
The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The only minus here are the double beds...I wish they had been queen.
The resort was in a great location for us. Near the Living Desert and the Palm Springs Air Museum. Plus, Rancho Las Palmas participates in a "passport" program. Just ask for a passport and kids eat free at many restaurants and get free admission to some other places!
My kids said this was the best vacation they had ever been on.
And...while it was very kid friendly, I would also come back with just my husband. Spa, golf, and an adult only pool.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Dear leemary1,
Thank you so much for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We’re so glad that you and your family had a great vacation here at Rancho and were able to relax and enjoy! We hope that you’ll be able to visit us again soon!

Reviewed 13 July 2010

If you are looking for a desert hotel that has a modern feel with sleekness and contemporary design go somewhere else (indian wells esmeralda or JW perhaps). RLP has a quaint villa-esque style to it that is tranquil and charming. I recall the room to be well appointed. We got the golf course/lake view room with balcony which was charming. Some things I liked about the room: the ability to park right next to your room for easy access to your vehicle, the lush, sprawling golf course right outside the window with a main walk-way (for people watching) the clean and large bathroom with nice finishes, comfy beds, and the quiet a/c that did not turn off when you open the balcony door. Great customer service. Some negatives: The villa style is a little different than what we are used to - with kids, strollers, etc. it became a chore to go up and down the stairs. Distance from the pool area - it felt like a journey - in the desert heat - not good - BUT we didnt have to deal with the pool noise The sandy beach area of the pool is way too small - we were not there on a holiday or during any major events and it was pretty crowded. If you are planning to lounge there and let your little ones play there - you MUST get there early. Its nice that the bathrooms were right there - we felt comfortable letting our kids (2.5 and 4.5 years old) go alone. We are used to the hotel providing sand toys and splashers (water diapers) - they should consider doing this. The lazy river was my favorite! Countless inter tubes available at any time. Very cool way for parents to take a load off and relax - i had the two big kids and my wife had the baby and we floated along - chatting it up with people and soaking up the sun. One of the most notable aspects was the numerous lifeguards on duty - well spread out and very alert - definitely have to hand it to RLP. For the kids, I loved the water play area and slides. We decided that we came to this hotel about a year and a half too early b/c we didn't feel comfortable letting them roam the pool area without our supervision, our 2.5 y/o could not ride the slides (height limitation) and our 4.5 y/o had a bit of a traumatic experience on the slide. TIP: If you have a novice, but capable swimmer, you go first then wait for him/her in the landing pool - it is a little disorienting the first time for the kids- and that small amount of fear will be just enough to keep them off of the slide out of fear (sad but true). Too bad the pool area has limited hours of operation, i thought they closed a little too early. Pool area food is available but nothing special - we usually avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Clearly the water attractions was our main reason for going and I really think it delivered. Other than that I liked that they have live music every night ,albeit it ended at 10pm. The outdoor evening vibe was lacking - no ambient lighting, the firepit was just OK, no plush lounge chairs, and no music (after 10pm), just the sound of the frogs on the golf course's water hazard. We tried bluEmber which was decent - i like the outdoor seating and attentive service. The gym was drab and pathetic. Not only did it close early, it had dated equipment and limited selection and i dont think it was air conditioned as it was sweltering in there - this was a major turn off for me. I am used to being able to access the gym 24/7 and feel like I can umm workout (At the esmeralda you can access a well appointed, air conditioned, clean gym 24/7 and thru the gym you get access to the sauna, showers, spa area). We did a family bike ride - it was terrific that they had a trailer for the little ones - what was not so terrific is that it wasnt hotel provided - in other words, you have to pay to use the bikes - not very typical in palm springs. And finally, the proximity to restaurants was fantastic - right across the street was "the river" shopping area which had great options. i enjoyed the bike ride so much I rode over there and picked up dinner for the family! it was great!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

Dear hfmstretch,
Thank you for posting your review! We’re glad that you and your family were able to come and enjoy Rancho Las Palmas and Splashtopia! We will definitely let our retail department know about your suggestions for the Splashers, thank you! We hope you can come and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 12 July 2010

We just returned from a weekend trip here. Overall we really enjoyed our stay with a few exceptions.

The good: -Staff was amazing! Everyone - from the servers at the restaraunt to the guys driving you around on the little carts- was attentive and helpful and just great.
-The pool was wonderful. We got a cabana the first day and just popped in to swim the day that we left. Both experiences were good (cabana service was amazing!!). Both kids (ages 14 months and 4 years) had a great time in splashtopia.
-check in and check out was smooth. They even add a special 'check out' area during peak check out times. Makes it go by fast.
-They have a little room for the kids with TV (movie playing) and bean bags and little juice boxes right off the main lobby, which makes it very nice while one of the adults checks in, the kids can watch a movie and relax.

The bad: -The room: overall it was nice but the carpet was disgusting! all different color stains on it and our feet were turning black. With a toddler all over the floor, definitely not appeasing. Also, there were little black bugs all over the bathroom sink. On our toothbrushes and cups etc. gross! We told the front desk and they offered us to change rooms, but we already had unpacked and gotten settled (with two young kids, that is a big task). So we asked for the carpet to be cleaned and the bathroom sprayed for bugs while we were at the pool (they had all day to do it). This was never done. I spoke to the front desk the next day (checkout day) and they were very apologetic and said not sure what happened but offered to do it then (we declined saying we were checking out anyway). They comped us like $20 or something, Eh!
-I wish there was a way to enforce the 'children under 14 must have adult with them at all times' rule. There were groups of young kids (10-13 years or so) running around totally unsupervised. They were cannonballing into the pool, literally in our faces. Playing pool games and knocking into us in the pool (not even caring that they almost knocked my toddler out of my arms) and having innertube fights in the lazy river, that never feels good to get whacked with one of those. I understand kids want to play, but geez a little parental supervision would help! The splashtopia experience is superfun, but very overwhelming with all the kids. So either have lots of patience or a few cocktails!

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, if you have kids you will too! We are even trying to make a return trip this summer, it was that much fun!

1  Thank kggirl_10

Dear kggirl_10,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We’re glad that you were happy with the staff and that you and your family had a fun time at Splashtopia! We’re very sorry that your room requests were not responded to in a manner that met your expectations. Please know that we are in the process of replacing the guestroom carpets so that you won’t have a cleanliness issue on your next visit. We hope that you will return to Rancho again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!