“Fun pool for kids, pretty good value, where are the bus boys?”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Los Angeles
“Fun pool for kids, pretty good value, where are the bus boys?”
Reviewed 29 July 2010

My husband and I stayed two nights at RLP for a quick babymoon getaway before our second child is born. I chose RLP because I wanted a poolside cabana and a fun pool. RLP seemed to fit the bill.

I was immediately turned off even before we arrived because any time I called the hotel, for whatever reason, I was placed on hold just to reach an operator. Operators were not kind or very helpful and once redirected by operator I would wait on hold again to reach someone in the dept I needed.

Check in was average. Not very warm and smiley, not proactive.

Our cabana rental was for our second day, which was to be our only full day on site. When we arrived we immediately checked out the Splashtopia pool area. No one was using the cabanas and they weren't very luxurious. It seemed the only reason to really get one was to have constant shade and an overhead fan. I was really torn about canceling the cabana rental, more on that later.

Splashtopia pool indeed looks very fun for the kids. The sandy beach is very small and overrun with kids. We were there during the week so the lazy river wasn't too crowded. I was disappointed that only one of the two slides was open and there was a long line. If you're going to sell two slides on your website then have both slides open. Slides close at 6pm (but pool is open until 10pm, not cool) and the last guy in line was given the job of telling everyone the slide was closing. How about a noticeable sign or putting a chain up? The big pool is fine, nothing special other than it's large size. I couldn't help but notice that lifeguards are required to conceal their tattoos. Very odd considering how other bigger details were left unattended.

The Splashtopia pool area, though cool for water play, is disgusting. There were beer cans strewn all about on chairs and the ground. Dirty dishes were everywhere. It was so bad and so blatant that I was beside myself. One empty cabana had stacks upon stacks of dirty dishes that no one touched for hours. The Splashtopia menu is horrible and unimaginative. We ordered nachos and when we were done with our dishes I put them nearby on an empty chaise and birds sat and picked out of them. I had to place them a few more chaises away because the birds were determined and I didn't feel like constantly waving them away. Poolside service was practically nonexistent. I had to go to the bar to get my own drinks. At the bar a couple waitresses were hanging out chatting. I can tolerate subpar service, but the dirty dishes problem was intolerable, abhorrent.

After a few hours at the Splahstopia pool we hit up the tranquility (adults only) pool. Wow, what a difference. It was empty, as though we had the place to ourselves. The pool was well attended with wait staff at your service offering towels, ice water, anything. The chaise lounges were nicer, too. We quickly canceled our cabana reservation for the next day and decided to spend the next day at the tranq pool. It was a wise decision. We never even went back to the Splashtopia pool except to get some floats for the tranq pool. And the lady at the Splashtopia store was great.

Don't misunderstand me, the little kids and loud families did not bother me one bit. It was the obvious lack of professional service and cleanliness that turned me off of the Splashtopia pool.

We ate at Bluember one day for lunch. It was pretty good, but also pretty empty so much so that when we arrived we waited forever to be noticed and seated. It was as though they were surprised anyone showed up to dine for lunch.

Our room safe and minibar did not work properly, but those issues were addressed in a timely fashion.

The room was big and decor was ok. I'm surprised it was renovated just 4-5 years ago. They should not rehire their renovators. They could have done a much better job. Bathroom renovation was half-as*ed. Balcony was very nice. Bed was not as comfortable as it should have been. Pillows too small and I would have preferred a non-down option. A/C was loud, but didn't really bother us.

I would recommend RLP for families with small kids because it was a pretty good value.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2010
Dear LALora,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We’re sorry that the service at the pool was so unsatisfactory. Your comments have been sent to the pool managers and we will be address all issues that you raised. We are glad that you were able to relax and enjoy the Tranquility Pool. Our rooms will also be going through another soft renovation very soon that will include new linens and carpets, etc. We hope that you’ll be able to visit again in the future and allow us to provide you with a more enjoyable experience.
Sincerely, Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Korean first
The OC
Reviewed 26 July 2010

This has to be one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at. I should have known by the looks on the front counter faces when I checked in. They looked upset and beaten up. I brought my family ( wife and 12 year old daughter) on a Sunday in July (the off season). The line was huge and very slow moving. they kept allowing people checking out cut in front of the people checking in. Everyone seemed so angry. we had just checked out of the Hyatt Grand Champions in which we had the most wonderful stay ever and had decided on the way home to stay one extra night at a different hotel. I finally checked in to Rancho while my wife and daughter waited in the car (45 mins) in 113 degree weather. The valet told me to go and leave everything in the car it will only take a minute. Once you check in you have to get back in your car then drive around trying to find your room. The outside looks like a run down junky apartment complex in a bad neighborhood. The rooms on the inside are actually quite nice with the exception of cockroaches and crickets everywhere. I took a picture of one cockroach the size of my thumb on a wall next to our bed. I couldn't believe how raunchy, rundown dirty the pool area was. They pack you in so tightly ther there is no room for a side table to lay your things on or my small cooler with now 2 boiling pepsi cans laying on the super hot ground. The floor around the pool is so hot that your feet will blister after just 1 minute of dodging between the mess of lounge chairs trying to reach the hazy, filthy, oily lazy river. Once you've reached the river you become upset to find out that there are no inner tubes. The food at the blue ember was absolutely horrible.Filet mignon tasted like pinesol. The crab dip appetizer tasted like rotten fish, the free bread tastes like uncooked hard dough, the sirloin sliders where so dry and flavorless that I couldn't finish even 1. even the kids buffet was horrible except the chicken strips. They either hired a new chef today that has absolutely no taste buds or it was some cruel joke. The water slide is so painful that you have to ride it sitting up otherwise the separation in the pipes will rub your spine like giant speed bumps. There is trash everywhere. Cups, food, even a dead bird without any picking up a thing. I couldn't take it anymore so I walked over to the adult pool only to hear two poolside attendants talking between themselves swearing every other word without even trying to not be heard. This lack of attention to detail has to be a direct result of the general manager not caring, lack of training or complete incompetence.

Dear VStar,
We’re sorry that you had such an unsatisfactory stay here. Our management staff has been made aware of your experiences and we will definitely take all criticism and address each department involved. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a truly positive and enjoyable experience in the future. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at guestexperience@rancholaspalmas.com to address any issues.
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We booked 3 nights for a family vacation (we have 3 small children). Reservations were curt and confusing. This should have been my first sign of things to come. Check in was rushed and disingenuous. The room was dark, droopy and shabby. Ants were crawling on the wall by the desk. It smelled of putrid smoke - a non smoking room, by the way. When I called the front desk to tell them it was the wrong configuration of beds. I was placed on hold three times. Finally, I piled my family back into the car and drove around to the front check in. I was told that a 2 queen bed, sofa bed combo didn't exist. Funny, I could have sworn that is what I booked with reservations. They offered us a roll way for $35 dollars a night, but made sure to inform us it was a "fire hazard". Wow. It gets better. They cannot offer us another room because the hotel is "oversold". Talk about a fire hazard?!? We finally settle into our room and prepare to head off to the "water park" (Splashtopia). When we arrive to relax and take a dip, the scene there and in the main pool looked like something from an Animal House + Spring Break movie. It was PACKED with people. Not just any people, but badly behaved trashy people. Smoking, drinking, food thrown all over the place with birds and bugs. It was horrific. We made our way over to the Lazy River at Splahtopia where my children were basically pushed, bumped into and victimized by these teams of people. It was like a Third World Country (to quote another reviewer). Your feet with burn w/out shoes, yet they ask you to take off even water shoes to go down the waterslide. After about 1/2 hour of this mayhem, we schlepped back to our room. The mini bar fridge was broken and all the drinks (water + soda) were hot. There was a pile of 25 dirty room service forks left just to the right of our door. I spent the better portion of our 24 hours there calling the manager (Gabriel) who was trying to be as helpful as he could, but this poor man sounded just as overwhelmed! Dinner at Blu Ember was fantastic (the only good part of our stay). Amanda & Tim took very good care of us and apologized on behalf of the resort. I called Gabriel and asked him to please allow us to check out the next morning b/c this whole thing was very unacceptable. He obliged _ took the hold off of our credit card. By the time the kids wanted to go to sleep - 9pm - we had yet (yes, you guessed it) to receive the roll away. Sleep was mixed. Bumps in the night, loud a/c, mushy bed. Check out was by a woman who promptly gave me an overcharged bill. I even made a local call down the street to the tune of $13.00. Only after I showed her my cell phone with the correct area code in it (same as the hotels) did she remove it. Gabriel tried by removing several charges, but where I come from and the hotels I stay in, you do your best to KEEP YOUR GUESTS THERE at whatever cost that may be. That how it works. You woo them, enchant them, make them feel special. That is why this hotel will never be rated Five Stars. They need to go back to the drawing board and think "outside the box" in their management + staff meetings. Besides, if that's the clientele they draw on a regular basis, I'll pass. The La Quinta Resort was happy to have our business and checked us into a two bedroom Spa Villa Suite. My only regret? That I didn't book at The La Quinta resort in the first place. I fell for the hype of the Splashtopia draw. Shame on me. If you go there after you read this review? Shame on you!

2 Thank lexijewellmom
Dear lexijewellmom,
We’re sorry that you had such an unsatisfactory stay here. Our management staff has been made aware of your experiences and we will definitely take all criticism and address each department involved. We’re glad that you we’re pleased with your evening at bluEmber and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to woo and enchant you in the future. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at guestexperience@rancholaspalmas.com to address any issues.
Pacific Palisades,CA
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I won't be going back to this pricey resort, ever.
My Uncle is allergic to bees.. so guess what's in the connecting suite(my cousin's room) a bee. His throat will swell, etc.. 2 hrs to get the bee guy there.
Aunt and Uncle's air doesn't work.

Someone used the main pool as a toilet, we were told to get out there is a chemical problem. We find out what that problem was and it was on the inside and outside of the pool. Repulsive!

Too many balls dropped by employees.

Dear MizThang23,
We apologize that we did not meet you expectations during your stay here at Rancho. We take seriously the sanitary standards throughout the resort which is why we evacuated the pool to properly clean all areas. We are sorry that it took the bee control contractor two hours to arrive but rest assured that all outside areas were thoroughly checked to insure there were no nests on property for your Uncle’s safety and the safety of our other guests. Please feel free to contact us directly at guestexperience@rancholaspalmas.com to address any further issues.
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Just returned yesterday from a weekend trip with my wife and two little ones. Stayed in a Poolside room (building 14). Room was good -- A/C was excellent (outside temp got to 119!).

Only two negatives:

1) Grounds were a little messy. When I arrived on Friday evening there was a Baja Fresh drink cup on top of the fence of the pool. When I left on Sunday the cup was still there. This is a very high traffic area so I expected it to be picked up. Also someone dropped a fruity drink on the pathway just outside the enterance to the pool on Saturday -- a big blue, goopy mess. On Sunday it was still there (but a dried blue mess). Even the Lazy River had trash all around the edges (lifeguards and wait staff did not pick up). Heck, some of the trash on Sunday was left there on Saturday (I saw it there on Saturday as well).

2) Lifeguards "played" to much with the guests. The majority of the lifeguards were very good. Most of them had their "eyes on the water" at all times. But there were a few of them who engaged in squirt gun play with guests floating around the lazy river. Not only did this take there eyes off the water (a lifeguard MUST), but it encouraged more horseplan in the Lazy River. As a parent of little ones this was unwelcomed.

All in all a great time (even with 119 degree weather). Just a couple of items to work on....

Dear bigcamtom,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We’re very sorry that your experience at the pool did not meet expectations and we have passed along your feedback to the appropriate departments. Please know that we take great pride in assuring a safe and fun environment for all of our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We stayed for 5 days, 4 nights. Our room was in building #10. Everything was great. The staff was awesome and would go the extra mile for you. We forgot to order our fruit tray when we rented the cabana. It was closing time for the Cabana staff and kitchen. The manager never hesitated and ran back, reopened the kitchen and brought it out promptly. The staff were great at bringing water, ice (especially great when you have a young child who is in 108 degree tempatures).

The staff at the BluEmber were top notch. We had the same server on 2 different occasions and she made everything personable, friendly, she made some excellent recommendations all while keeping 3 young children entertained duing a 3 course meal. The cupcakes and icecream are amazing. The kiddie cupcake was awesome (covered in tons of gummy bears). They are huge (like 1 cupcake could serve 2-3 people). The food was awesome. Every single dish we tried, appetizers, salads, soup, it was all terrific.

Splashtopia was perfect. It had something for everybody and the kids were never bored. Lazy river, slides, splash area, beach and even hot tubs. When it closed it was easy to transition the kids over to the pool. They sell everything you could imagine at the pool store. Floaties, toys, games, towels and I mean everything.

We hit balls off the range. The golf store was awesome, the staff was very attentive and were quick to pick us up at our room via golf cart and very prompt to return us when we were finished. They had some great buys in the golf store.

The room was awesome. Bed comfortable. I loved the room darkening curtains. It was very clean.

We did bring alot of snacks but my husband loved the yogurt, granola cups at the Cafe and lunch at the pool was terrific so we never got around to eating/bringing our own snacks down to the pool.

The hotel gift shop had tons of stuff. My husband loved the hotel shampoo and they had some awesome deals (like buy 1 get 2 free). The shop was always full of people buying and they had a great selection of things.

We are in Southern Cal so we bought our gift cards at Costco. We booked during the summer when it was the least expensive (family on a budget). But we are definitely planning to go back next year, same time.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
Dear SouthernCalmom,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We’re so glad that you and your family had a great time here and that our staff was able to go above and beyond to make sure you had a great experience! We hope to see you again soon!
Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I chose this hotel because it met all of my needs. It allows pets, has a waterpark for the kids, has cabanas by the pool, it is within walking distance to fine shopping and dining, and has a full spa. I stayed for the 4th of July weekend with my wife, 5 year old daughter, 15 year old son, my in laws and 2 dogs. Everything was perfect for all of us. My wife and mother in law enjoyed the spa, my father in law enjoyed bar with sports on TV. My son and daughter enjoyed the pool and waterpark, I enjoyed the pool, gym and our nice quiet room overlooking the beautiful golf course. The dogs enjoyed their complimentary treats, water bowls and their own beds in each room provided by the hotel. I am looking forward to our next stay at Rancho Las Palmas.

Dear americanlimo,
Thank you for posting your review! We’re so glad that you and your family (including the furry family members!) loved Rancho Las Palmas! We hope that you’ll be able to come back again very soon!
Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!