4,257 results
All reviewslazy riverblu emberwater parkgolf coursebluember restaurantpool areagreat familyadult poolpalm springsget awaycheesecake factoryfamily vacationspring breakfamily poolgrounds are beautifulpalm desertmain pool
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I was a little worried booking this hotel after reading the recent reviews but I was assured by several of my friends and family that the place was great. I am so glad we went! My husband and I with our children (ages 3-12) and a few of our friends with their children (ages 3-16) booked rooms for a Sunday - Tuesday.

My husband had to work and met us at the resort so it left me and my girlfriend with 4 kids and a SUV full of stuff to unload. We were so happy the way things turned out...

Upon arrival we were greeted by Sanjeev, an awesome valet who watched over our truck while we went to see if we could get early check in. The kids stayed in the cool lobby while my friend and I checked in. There was a line but it moved pretty quickly and everyone was very friendly. We were not able to get early check in (we had requested an adjoining room) but they gave us keys to the pool and told us they would contact us. We let Sanjeev know and he asked if we had anything in the truck that could melt or needed to be air conditioned. He took all of our snacks/groceries and checked them inside the resort and parked our truck in the shade. He then took all of us in a golf cart straight to the pool. We didn't have to worry about a thing but putting sunscreen on!

Sanjeev called me when our room was ready and asked me where we were sitting at the pool. He hand delivered my room keys and told me he had parked our truck outside of our room and had already unloaded all of our stuff into our rooms and left my truck keys on the desk. He also had made reservations for us at the Bluember for that evening (which we had requested). We could never ask for better service!!

The pool was nice and the water was cool which is a must when it's 113 degrees outside, there were plenty of servers and they were constantly picking up. It wasn't dirty at all. The kids had a blast on the water slides and so did we. It is best to sit up though as the tube hurts your back if you lay down. It's definitely crowded but we expected it to be that way since it's a family pool and summertime. However, we were always able to find chairs to sit in and only had to wait a few minutes to get a tube in the lazy river. The only thing that we could complain about is that one vodka lemonade costs $11. We were thankful to have brought our own drinks! The food was good at the pool and average resort prices ranging $9 for a kid’s burger and fries to $14 for a chicken sandwich and fries. We reserved a cabana for Monday (the only day we would be there all day long), it was worth it. It was cooler than under the umbrellas and had several chairs and a fan. Our server was always refilling our ice buckets and getting us whatever we needed. They also give you water and a fruit tray with the rental.

We all had mixed reviews at the Bluember. We had good service there but the food wasn't worth the money. Thankfully they had a free kids buffet for every adult entree. My filet mignon was overcooked and they brought me a new one which was better but not worth $42. Our other friends had salmon and loved it. The drinks were made well and not as expensive as at the pool. The kids loved the buffet and went back several times. We ordered pizza the last night from Pizza Hut. They delivered it right to the resort and it was super cheap. There are also restaurants across the street that is within walking distance.

Our rooms were nice. I did have to call to have them to re-clean my bathroom floor when we first got in there but they came up immediately and cleaned it. We preferred the golf course views and it was so relaxing to sit there in the morning and evening. Our other friends liked their room right by the pool. I think my only negative review on the room would be that the beds are doubles instead of queens. They were really comfortable just small for 2 adults to sleep in.

Overall, we had an amazing time and actually booked again for next month!!

1  Thank tancutie
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2010

Dear travel32313,
Thank you for posting your review! We have received many great comments about Sanjeev and we’re very glad to hear about your experience with him as well! We are sorry that you did not enjoy your filet at bluEmber and we hope that when you return later this month we can find you entrée that you will love! Thank you for choosing Rancho and if you like to, please let us know when you’re coming again on Facebook!

Reviewed 29 July 2010

Rancho Las Palmas is a great time for a family with children. The service was fantastic and there is plenty for kids to do. The resort is close to many attractions and extremely reasonable places to eat. The summer passport they have with local family restaurants is a great deal. We truly enjoyed our stay.

Dear travel32313,
Thank you for posting your short and sweet review! We are very glad to be able to partner with the City of Rancho Mirage and offer the Summer Passport. We’re happy that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 July 2010

My husband and I stayed two nights at RLP for a quick babymoon getaway before our second child is born. I chose RLP because I wanted a poolside cabana and a fun pool. RLP seemed to fit the bill.

I was immediately turned off even before we arrived because any time I called the hotel, for whatever reason, I was placed on hold just to reach an operator. Operators were not kind or very helpful and once redirected by operator I would wait on hold again to reach someone in the dept I needed.

Check in was average. Not very warm and smiley, not proactive.

Our cabana rental was for our second day, which was to be our only full day on site. When we arrived we immediately checked out the Splashtopia pool area. No one was using the cabanas and they weren't very luxurious. It seemed the only reason to really get one was to have constant shade and an overhead fan. I was really torn about canceling the cabana rental, more on that later.

Splashtopia pool indeed looks very fun for the kids. The sandy beach is very small and overrun with kids. We were there during the week so the lazy river wasn't too crowded. I was disappointed that only one of the two slides was open and there was a long line. If you're going to sell two slides on your website then have both slides open. Slides close at 6pm (but pool is open until 10pm, not cool) and the last guy in line was given the job of telling everyone the slide was closing. How about a noticeable sign or putting a chain up? The big pool is fine, nothing special other than it's large size. I couldn't help but notice that lifeguards are required to conceal their tattoos. Very odd considering how other bigger details were left unattended.

The Splashtopia pool area, though cool for water play, is disgusting. There were beer cans strewn all about on chairs and the ground. Dirty dishes were everywhere. It was so bad and so blatant that I was beside myself. One empty cabana had stacks upon stacks of dirty dishes that no one touched for hours. The Splashtopia menu is horrible and unimaginative. We ordered nachos and when we were done with our dishes I put them nearby on an empty chaise and birds sat and picked out of them. I had to place them a few more chaises away because the birds were determined and I didn't feel like constantly waving them away. Poolside service was practically nonexistent. I had to go to the bar to get my own drinks. At the bar a couple waitresses were hanging out chatting. I can tolerate subpar service, but the dirty dishes problem was intolerable, abhorrent.

After a few hours at the Splahstopia pool we hit up the tranquility (adults only) pool. Wow, what a difference. It was empty, as though we had the place to ourselves. The pool was well attended with wait staff at your service offering towels, ice water, anything. The chaise lounges were nicer, too. We quickly canceled our cabana reservation for the next day and decided to spend the next day at the tranq pool. It was a wise decision. We never even went back to the Splashtopia pool except to get some floats for the tranq pool. And the lady at the Splashtopia store was great.

Don't misunderstand me, the little kids and loud families did not bother me one bit. It was the obvious lack of professional service and cleanliness that turned me off of the Splashtopia pool.

We ate at Bluember one day for lunch. It was pretty good, but also pretty empty so much so that when we arrived we waited forever to be noticed and seated. It was as though they were surprised anyone showed up to dine for lunch.

Our room safe and minibar did not work properly, but those issues were addressed in a timely fashion.

The room was big and decor was ok. I'm surprised it was renovated just 4-5 years ago. They should not rehire their renovators. They could have done a much better job. Bathroom renovation was half-as*ed. Balcony was very nice. Bed was not as comfortable as it should have been. Pillows too small and I would have preferred a non-down option. A/C was loud, but didn't really bother us.

I would recommend RLP for families with small kids because it was a pretty good value.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear LALora,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We’re sorry that the service at the pool was so unsatisfactory. Your comments have been sent to the pool managers and we will be address all issues that you raised. We are glad that you were able to relax and enjoy the Tranquility Pool. Our rooms will also be going through another soft renovation very soon that will include new linens and carpets, etc. We hope that you’ll be able to visit again in the future and allow us to provide you with a more enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 26 July 2010

This has to be one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at. I should have known by the looks on the front counter faces when I checked in. They looked upset and beaten up. I brought my family ( wife and 12 year old daughter) on a Sunday in July (the off season). The line was huge and very slow moving. they kept allowing people checking out cut in front of the people checking in. Everyone seemed so angry. we had just checked out of the Hyatt Grand Champions in which we had the most wonderful stay ever and had decided on the way home to stay one extra night at a different hotel. I finally checked in to Rancho while my wife and daughter waited in the car (45 mins) in 113 degree weather. The valet told me to go and leave everything in the car it will only take a minute. Once you check in you have to get back in your car then drive around trying to find your room. The outside looks like a run down junky apartment complex in a bad neighborhood. The rooms on the inside are actually quite nice with the exception of cockroaches and crickets everywhere. I took a picture of one cockroach the size of my thumb on a wall next to our bed. I couldn't believe how raunchy, rundown dirty the pool area was. They pack you in so tightly ther there is no room for a side table to lay your things on or my small cooler with now 2 boiling pepsi cans laying on the super hot ground. The floor around the pool is so hot that your feet will blister after just 1 minute of dodging between the mess of lounge chairs trying to reach the hazy, filthy, oily lazy river. Once you've reached the river you become upset to find out that there are no inner tubes. The food at the blue ember was absolutely horrible.Filet mignon tasted like pinesol. The crab dip appetizer tasted like rotten fish, the free bread tastes like uncooked hard dough, the sirloin sliders where so dry and flavorless that I couldn't finish even 1. even the kids buffet was horrible except the chicken strips. They either hired a new chef today that has absolutely no taste buds or it was some cruel joke. The water slide is so painful that you have to ride it sitting up otherwise the separation in the pipes will rub your spine like giant speed bumps. There is trash everywhere. Cups, food, even a dead bird without any picking up a thing. I couldn't take it anymore so I walked over to the adult pool only to hear two poolside attendants talking between themselves swearing every other word without even trying to not be heard. This lack of attention to detail has to be a direct result of the general manager not caring, lack of training or complete incompetence.

Dear VStar,
We’re sorry that you had such an unsatisfactory stay here. Our management staff has been made aware of your experiences and we will definitely take all criticism and address each department involved. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a truly positive and enjoyable experience in the future. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at guestexperience@rancholaspalmas.com to address any issues.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

We booked 3 nights for a family vacation (we have 3 small children). Reservations were curt and confusing. This should have been my first sign of things to come. Check in was rushed and disingenuous. The room was dark, droopy and shabby. Ants were crawling on the wall by the desk. It smelled of putrid smoke - a non smoking room, by the way. When I called the front desk to tell them it was the wrong configuration of beds. I was placed on hold three times. Finally, I piled my family back into the car and drove around to the front check in. I was told that a 2 queen bed, sofa bed combo didn't exist. Funny, I could have sworn that is what I booked with reservations. They offered us a roll way for $35 dollars a night, but made sure to inform us it was a "fire hazard". Wow. It gets better. They cannot offer us another room because the hotel is "oversold". Talk about a fire hazard?!? We finally settle into our room and prepare to head off to the "water park" (Splashtopia). When we arrive to relax and take a dip, the scene there and in the main pool looked like something from an Animal House + Spring Break movie. It was PACKED with people. Not just any people, but badly behaved trashy people. Smoking, drinking, food thrown all over the place with birds and bugs. It was horrific. We made our way over to the Lazy River at Splahtopia where my children were basically pushed, bumped into and victimized by these teams of people. It was like a Third World Country (to quote another reviewer). Your feet with burn w/out shoes, yet they ask you to take off even water shoes to go down the waterslide. After about 1/2 hour of this mayhem, we schlepped back to our room. The mini bar fridge was broken and all the drinks (water + soda) were hot. There was a pile of 25 dirty room service forks left just to the right of our door. I spent the better portion of our 24 hours there calling the manager (Gabriel) who was trying to be as helpful as he could, but this poor man sounded just as overwhelmed! Dinner at Blu Ember was fantastic (the only good part of our stay). Amanda & Tim took very good care of us and apologized on behalf of the resort. I called Gabriel and asked him to please allow us to check out the next morning b/c this whole thing was very unacceptable. He obliged _ took the hold off of our credit card. By the time the kids wanted to go to sleep - 9pm - we had yet (yes, you guessed it) to receive the roll away. Sleep was mixed. Bumps in the night, loud a/c, mushy bed. Check out was by a woman who promptly gave me an overcharged bill. I even made a local call down the street to the tune of $13.00. Only after I showed her my cell phone with the correct area code in it (same as the hotels) did she remove it. Gabriel tried by removing several charges, but where I come from and the hotels I stay in, you do your best to KEEP YOUR GUESTS THERE at whatever cost that may be. That how it works. You woo them, enchant them, make them feel special. That is why this hotel will never be rated Five Stars. They need to go back to the drawing board and think "outside the box" in their management + staff meetings. Besides, if that's the clientele they draw on a regular basis, I'll pass. The La Quinta Resort was happy to have our business and checked us into a two bedroom Spa Villa Suite. My only regret? That I didn't book at The La Quinta resort in the first place. I fell for the hype of the Splashtopia draw. Shame on me. If you go there after you read this review? Shame on you!

2  Thank lexijewellmom

Dear lexijewellmom,
We’re sorry that you had such an unsatisfactory stay here. Our management staff has been made aware of your experiences and we will definitely take all criticism and address each department involved. We’re glad that you we’re pleased with your evening at bluEmber and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to woo and enchant you in the future. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at guestexperience@rancholaspalmas.com to address any issues.