“Loved it and wanted to return, but....”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Vancouver, Canada
“Loved it and wanted to return, but....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

We travelled with extended family in April 2008. We stayed in a Vista room, and were completely wowed by this resort. Any other room since has paled in comparison. The only troubling spot during that trip was the lifeguard on duty on the main pool was distracted by teenage girls, and we had a scry moment when one of our daughters got a step too far away from us in the pool and went too deep. She went under, and as I scrambled to get over to her, I looked up and he had his back to the pool. As a parent I must be vigilant in watching my children around water, but I was concerned that a lifeguard didn't notice this potentially dangerous situation. We were looking to repeat this wonderful experience this Christmas as we are dealing with the loss of a family member (no one wants to be home this year, it just hurts too much to be without Mr. Christmas), and eagerly spoke twice to two wonderful reservation agents, and armed with what seemed like fabulous rates, we proceeded to plan our vacation accordingly. We needed to ensure that we could get decent airfares, so held off on actually booking the rooms. 48 hours later I phoned back and was informed that our quoted rate does not exist in December, and now we are looking at double the price. Quite simply, this sucks!! Had we known of this situation, we would have booked a package deal online, now we are stuck with airfare that is booked, and must now find a lesser hotel that stays in our budget. I have worked in customer service for over a decade, and I am really angry about this bait and switch.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Korean first
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel on 4th of July weekend and also again in August. The staff are soooo helpful and efficient and verrrry nice! The rooms are excellent...Splashtopia is very nice and fun, the tranquility pool is sooooo refreshing and nice! The grounds are very nice and soooo pretty! We will be back again in September.....YAY!!! :-)

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
Dear eledesma,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor! We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to relax and enjoy the pools! It’s great that you’ll be back again in September! See you soon!
Indio, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

Love Splashtopia! Love the location. Love the hotel. It's an easy walk to the River with tons of great restaurants, theaters, etc. The poolside movie is such a treat. Love how the rooms are laid out. We had a golf course view which was great for the kids to run and play at night. Used the tennis facilities which were top notch with exceptional staff. Loved the layout with plenty of free parking right in front of your room.

Dear FamilyTraveler04046,
Thank you for posting your review! We’re very glad that you enjoyed so many things and were able to use the tennis facilities! We hope you’ll be able to come again soon!
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

I am surprised by some of the negative reviews. We stayed in a room that faced the golf course and we liked our room. It had a king bed with a pullout sofa which was fine for the kids. It was downright scorching hot so you have to be smart about when to use the pool, etc. The kids liked to swim in the evenings and we were out during the day. They liked the big pool better than Splashtopia. It is overrated and the lifeguards like to make up tons of rules. Not like staying at Mandalay Bay in Vegas. We enjoyed the gondola ride up to the top of the local hill. 8600 ft. Great hiking and cool temps while the valley got cooked in the sun.
The kids food at the blue ember was quite good, and the adult food was decent. It was not cheap, but we didn't feel it was exhorbitant either. There are tons of crickets around during the evening and at night. It is definitely not the 4 Seasons, The Wynn, etc., but it is a good resort that would be ideal in the fall or spring.
Just beware of your neighbors. A young man with his family snored so loud that we wished we had a noisy air conditioner to block out the noise. I will bring earplugs next time.

Dear OldTroll,
Thank you for posting your review! We’re glad that you were able to relax and enjoy Rancho Las Palmas and the rest of the Valley. We hope that you’ll come again and visit during the cooler months and experience the desert at its best!
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

I was a little worried booking this hotel after reading the recent reviews but I was assured by several of my friends and family that the place was great. I am so glad we went! My husband and I with our children (ages 3-12) and a few of our friends with their children (ages 3-16) booked rooms for a Sunday - Tuesday.

My husband had to work and met us at the resort so it left me and my girlfriend with 4 kids and a SUV full of stuff to unload. We were so happy the way things turned out...

Upon arrival we were greeted by Sanjeev, an awesome valet who watched over our truck while we went to see if we could get early check in. The kids stayed in the cool lobby while my friend and I checked in. There was a line but it moved pretty quickly and everyone was very friendly. We were not able to get early check in (we had requested an adjoining room) but they gave us keys to the pool and told us they would contact us. We let Sanjeev know and he asked if we had anything in the truck that could melt or needed to be air conditioned. He took all of our snacks/groceries and checked them inside the resort and parked our truck in the shade. He then took all of us in a golf cart straight to the pool. We didn't have to worry about a thing but putting sunscreen on!

Sanjeev called me when our room was ready and asked me where we were sitting at the pool. He hand delivered my room keys and told me he had parked our truck outside of our room and had already unloaded all of our stuff into our rooms and left my truck keys on the desk. He also had made reservations for us at the Bluember for that evening (which we had requested). We could never ask for better service!!

The pool was nice and the water was cool which is a must when it's 113 degrees outside, there were plenty of servers and they were constantly picking up. It wasn't dirty at all. The kids had a blast on the water slides and so did we. It is best to sit up though as the tube hurts your back if you lay down. It's definitely crowded but we expected it to be that way since it's a family pool and summertime. However, we were always able to find chairs to sit in and only had to wait a few minutes to get a tube in the lazy river. The only thing that we could complain about is that one vodka lemonade costs $11. We were thankful to have brought our own drinks! The food was good at the pool and average resort prices ranging $9 for a kid’s burger and fries to $14 for a chicken sandwich and fries. We reserved a cabana for Monday (the only day we would be there all day long), it was worth it. It was cooler than under the umbrellas and had several chairs and a fan. Our server was always refilling our ice buckets and getting us whatever we needed. They also give you water and a fruit tray with the rental.

We all had mixed reviews at the Bluember. We had good service there but the food wasn't worth the money. Thankfully they had a free kids buffet for every adult entree. My filet mignon was overcooked and they brought me a new one which was better but not worth $42. Our other friends had salmon and loved it. The drinks were made well and not as expensive as at the pool. The kids loved the buffet and went back several times. We ordered pizza the last night from Pizza Hut. They delivered it right to the resort and it was super cheap. There are also restaurants across the street that is within walking distance.

Our rooms were nice. I did have to call to have them to re-clean my bathroom floor when we first got in there but they came up immediately and cleaned it. We preferred the golf course views and it was so relaxing to sit there in the morning and evening. Our other friends liked their room right by the pool. I think my only negative review on the room would be that the beds are doubles instead of queens. They were really comfortable just small for 2 adults to sleep in.

Overall, we had an amazing time and actually booked again for next month!!

1 Thank tancutie
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2010
Dear travel32313,
Thank you for posting your review! We have received many great comments about Sanjeev and we’re very glad to hear about your experience with him as well! We are sorry that you did not enjoy your filet at bluEmber and we hope that when you return later this month we can find you entrée that you will love! Thank you for choosing Rancho and if you like to, please let us know when you’re coming again on Facebook!
Dublin, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

Rancho Las Palmas is a great time for a family with children. The service was fantastic and there is plenty for kids to do. The resort is close to many attractions and extremely reasonable places to eat. The summer passport they have with local family restaurants is a great deal. We truly enjoyed our stay.

Dear travel32313,
Thank you for posting your short and sweet review! We are very glad to be able to partner with the City of Rancho Mirage and offer the Summer Passport. We’re happy that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon!
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

My husband and I stayed two nights at RLP for a quick babymoon getaway before our second child is born. I chose RLP because I wanted a poolside cabana and a fun pool. RLP seemed to fit the bill.

I was immediately turned off even before we arrived because any time I called the hotel, for whatever reason, I was placed on hold just to reach an operator. Operators were not kind or very helpful and once redirected by operator I would wait on hold again to reach someone in the dept I needed.

Check in was average. Not very warm and smiley, not proactive.

Our cabana rental was for our second day, which was to be our only full day on site. When we arrived we immediately checked out the Splashtopia pool area. No one was using the cabanas and they weren't very luxurious. It seemed the only reason to really get one was to have constant shade and an overhead fan. I was really torn about canceling the cabana rental, more on that later.

Splashtopia pool indeed looks very fun for the kids. The sandy beach is very small and overrun with kids. We were there during the week so the lazy river wasn't too crowded. I was disappointed that only one of the two slides was open and there was a long line. If you're going to sell two slides on your website then have both slides open. Slides close at 6pm (but pool is open until 10pm, not cool) and the last guy in line was given the job of telling everyone the slide was closing. How about a noticeable sign or putting a chain up? The big pool is fine, nothing special other than it's large size. I couldn't help but notice that lifeguards are required to conceal their tattoos. Very odd considering how other bigger details were left unattended.

The Splashtopia pool area, though cool for water play, is disgusting. There were beer cans strewn all about on chairs and the ground. Dirty dishes were everywhere. It was so bad and so blatant that I was beside myself. One empty cabana had stacks upon stacks of dirty dishes that no one touched for hours. The Splashtopia menu is horrible and unimaginative. We ordered nachos and when we were done with our dishes I put them nearby on an empty chaise and birds sat and picked out of them. I had to place them a few more chaises away because the birds were determined and I didn't feel like constantly waving them away. Poolside service was practically nonexistent. I had to go to the bar to get my own drinks. At the bar a couple waitresses were hanging out chatting. I can tolerate subpar service, but the dirty dishes problem was intolerable, abhorrent.

After a few hours at the Splahstopia pool we hit up the tranquility (adults only) pool. Wow, what a difference. It was empty, as though we had the place to ourselves. The pool was well attended with wait staff at your service offering towels, ice water, anything. The chaise lounges were nicer, too. We quickly canceled our cabana reservation for the next day and decided to spend the next day at the tranq pool. It was a wise decision. We never even went back to the Splashtopia pool except to get some floats for the tranq pool. And the lady at the Splashtopia store was great.

Don't misunderstand me, the little kids and loud families did not bother me one bit. It was the obvious lack of professional service and cleanliness that turned me off of the Splashtopia pool.

We ate at Bluember one day for lunch. It was pretty good, but also pretty empty so much so that when we arrived we waited forever to be noticed and seated. It was as though they were surprised anyone showed up to dine for lunch.

Our room safe and minibar did not work properly, but those issues were addressed in a timely fashion.

The room was big and decor was ok. I'm surprised it was renovated just 4-5 years ago. They should not rehire their renovators. They could have done a much better job. Bathroom renovation was half-as*ed. Balcony was very nice. Bed was not as comfortable as it should have been. Pillows too small and I would have preferred a non-down option. A/C was loud, but didn't really bother us.

I would recommend RLP for families with small kids because it was a pretty good value.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear LALora,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We’re sorry that the service at the pool was so unsatisfactory. Your comments have been sent to the pool managers and we will be address all issues that you raised. We are glad that you were able to relax and enjoy the Tranquility Pool. Our rooms will also be going through another soft renovation very soon that will include new linens and carpets, etc. We hope that you’ll be able to visit again in the future and allow us to provide you with a more enjoyable experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!