“Waterslide is Closed till Oct/Family Pool MAJORLY impacted! Beware!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Palm Desert, California
“Waterslide is Closed till Oct/Family Pool MAJORLY impacted! Beware!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2007

I want to make it clear that the waterslide which is the prime attraction for kids is closed until October. They are not voluntarily notifying guests who have reservations. Our family made reservations in mid-May for an early June stay. The pool closed just days before our check in date. Nothing was mentioned. We asked about the pool to confirm it would be open. Reservations and front desk did not tell us that the waterslide and a major portion of the family pool would be closed. Our girls were planning a trip to the desert. They are very sad. We found out from a family member and its too late to cancel our reservation.
I am posting here because I would hate for someone else to have dissapointed children.

• Liked — The location near the River
  • Disliked — The lack of communication
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank CoronadoFamily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Korean first
Manhattan Beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2007

I booked a last minute trip over memorial day weekend through expedia for my sisters brithday. They were having a 48 hr deal on the this hotel for $155 a night including all taxes. When I went online to the actual RLP website the same room was going for $269. Upon arrival at around 1pm we did have to wait about 10 minutes to check in, and were told our room wasn't ready and they would call us when it was ready. So we headed across the street (so close you can walk!) to the River Walk which had tons of restuarants and shops.

We went to the adult pool while waiting for our room to be ready. The pool was fair. It was pretty small and they needed about 50 more chairs to accomodate all of the guests. There was one poor waitress serving the whole pool area of over 100 people. The temperature of the pool was nice though. I just think they need to hire more staff.

I got a call on my cell phone at about 2:40 that our room was ready. We picked up the keys and headed to our building which was only 3 bulidings away from the lobby- building 5. To our surprise we walked into a completely renovated room (minus the flat screen tv). The room had a Marble entry way, granite counter tops, comfy pillow-top beds, freshly painted walls and new dark mahogany furniture. Our room overlooked a pond and golf course....it was beautiful!

Overall I'd say this hotel is on it's way to becoming a 5 star resort but it does have a way to go. If you stay here ask to be a newly renovated room and head to the adult pool early to claim your spot!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank beach567
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2007

My husband and I booked a one-night stay at the resort after getting a pretty good deal on travelzoo.com. We had pretty low expectations seeing the reviews we read but decided to stay at the resort anyway. While there is still construction going on, it did not interfere with our stay at all. The grounds are big, beautiful and well-kept. We thought the pool was great and they were showing a pool-side childrens movie that night. which seemed cute. The room was nice but would benefit from an up-grade. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and the customer service was great. We look forward to staying at the resort in the future and look forward to taking our child too, as it seems very family friendly. My only complaints would be that we could hear the family in the room nest to us through the adjoining door, hopefully a problem that can remedied through the remodel. Also, I disliked the pillows although my husbnd thought they were great.

• Liked — The grounds were great, great architecture/ design
  • Disliked — you could hear too much noise from the neighboring rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
huntington beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2007

Every year for the past 5 years we have stayed at this hotel and it has been great...small kids (2 years and up) rode the waterslide all weekend in the past...lots of lifeguards and really clean water. This year, I guess there is new management.....kids couldnt ride the slide unless they were 48". They did not post this on their site, not mentioned at check in or even when we booked tickets....so when we got there we had 3 crying kids that were all underneath the height requirement....they have ridden the slide the last few years and could not wait for their vacation...and upon our arrival, the teenage lifeguards would not let them on. After argueing out by the managemt out by the pool along with a large group of other parents...we told them refund us or call the police we were rideing the slide.....MY ADVICE.....don't go unless your kids are tall enough...also, OVERFLOWING TRASHCANS, pool gates were propped open unstead of having self closing gates, and the movie by the pool that played from 8pm until 10 pm was WAY too loud.......

• Liked — nice bed
  • Disliked — dirty pool, overflowing trash cans,
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Ill.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2007

I had low expectations going in. And I was still not pleased. Nice grounds, pool. Decent common areas. This property needs to renovate all its rooms, fast.

I checked out early due to my being unhappy with the rooms. I made front desk clerk aware of my issues. They made no effort to rectify or offer to call a manager or even express regret that I was unhappy. Just a blank stare.

Nice location. Mediocre rooms and service.

Stayed May 2007
Hermosa Beach, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2007

The food is Denny's quality at best, seriously. Eat somewhere else. I ordered room service and the rolls had been microwaved and I couldn't bite into the hard rubber texture. For dinner, we arrived at 6pm in the main dining room off the lobby and they were extremely eager to sell us alcohol, which was the only good and attentive service we received. After ONE HOUR we finally got our appetizers. My seared ahi tuna was so boring! All they did was throw a little unseasoned taco seasoning on it. Other people had the same thing and were surprised at the bad combination of flavors. A half hour later, which was 1 and 1/2 hours after we sat down, and after complaining, our food finally arrived. I ordered the Signature Bass and shrimp as the manager/hostess glowingly recommeded it. It was so flavorless, I was shocked, as it was $32. I do not mind paying a lot for food, but this was like cafeteria food. The bass and the 2 ordinary small shrimp tasted bland, like they were boiled in plain water with no seasoning whatsoever. There was a teaspoon of an orange sauce that was put on the rice that tasted canned and 2 leaks that were just as flavorless. My main course should have cost $6.99. My husband ordered the filet Mignon medium rare, and it came WELL DONE. No one else liked their meals in our group of nine. Another thing that surprised me about the service, was that when we complained about how long the food was taking, they made sure not to appologize but to pretend that everything was going smoothly, which was the wrong thing to do as we were a group that know what service is supposed to be. The manager/hostess said, "Oh, we have to make sure that the Halibut comes out as soon as it's done." But, no one ordered Halibut. So we assume they were just covering up that they were understaffed or that the kitchen was backed up, which they denied, and pretended that everything was running smoothly, which of course irritated us even more. We went to THE RIVER complex just down the street to eat every meal for the remainder of our time there.
Now, on to the rooms. Our room was nice, but really dark. They have a few floor lamps but with only 40 watt bulbs, so if you like a light room, this is not the place for you. The bed was nice, clean, comfortable, and fluffy. We brought our dogs and they had a great time, but there are two curtains in the room, one, which is sheer, and the other, which is only decorative and doesn't close, so the dogs could see the golfers outside and barked at them. If we could have shut the curtains they would have been quiet. We are early risers, but I can imagine that if one wanted to sleep in, the light coming in wouldn't have let them. Also, you know how hotels charge minibar prices but give you one free water for your coffee in the morning? This one charges $6.00 for a cheap bottle of water, so buy yours somewhere else.
I don't mind paying a lot for something, just as long as it is a quality product or service.
Bottom line: Stay here, but eat somewhere else!

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank Soprrrano
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2007

I stayed at this hotel in March 2007 and was pleasantly surprised by this place. I guess I wasn't expecting much, but the customer service was outstanding. We were always asked if we needed anything, our service at breakfast was attentive and kind, and we enjoyed our stay. We spent our pool time at the "adult pool" which unfortunately doesn't appear to have pool side service. Although we searched someone out at the hotel bar, and he brought us our drinks and lunch to the pool. The room was comfortable, nothing too special, but the beds are very comfortable. My only complaint is that it took way too long to check in and out...there was always a line and not enough people working. But overall, I would recommend it.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
#2 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!