“Service lacking”

Terranea Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights
The casita was a bit far from the resort. Parking was bad because apparently the employees take up most of the spaces
There is a golf cart service to take you around if needed but they forgot to pick us up twice and one time dropped my wife and kids off at the wrong place because the driver insisted there was only one group function going on but there were actually multiple and our group was on the other side of the hotel
Waited for ice to be delivered and it never arrived. They didn't bother telling me there was an ice machine on the first floor. Found it myself
Kid place is expensive at $20 per hour per child
The beach is lacking. Resort is on a cliff so we were advised to drive up to redondo beach and not use their shoreline
Overall, the room was nice but the service was bad and the resort is about 14miles from the freeway so it isn't that easy to get to places

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Eddy L
Jessie B, Public Relations Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Eddy L,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay. Please accept our apologies for the mistakes you encountered. We have sent your review to the hotel management team to review and learn from the experience. We hope you will come back and visit us again. Thank you.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Recently, I had the opportunity to explore the "College Campus" called Terranea College. I know you've heard of it. Tucked away in the far nessels of the 110/405 freeway surrounded by water. Well if you haven't attended, now is the time to enroll. They are taking requests as I type. This place is a diamond in the rough. I went for a retirement party. We partied in one of the bungalows that is used as a hotel room as well. This room had two huge bedrooms with ocean views, and two full bathrooms, a full kitchen with the appliances and dishes included.You must wash the dishes before you leave. As well as a front porch area where you and your guest can mingle and get some fresh air. The patio was a nice size as well. It came with a table with chairs and umbrella.
Now is the time, what are you waiting for.

Room Tip: Don't worry about being to far front the front desk. They have these cute golf carts that pick y...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank R V
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Recently spent the weekend here, reuniting with friends. We loved the property, didn't leave at all. Beautiful views, plenty of relaxing spots to enjoy a cocktail and pass the day. The adult pool is calm and lovely and the spa services were excellent. Nelsons at night was a treat on the beach with live music.
Warning- it is a BIG resort, and a very busy one for summer weekends. Make dinner reservations, especially if you want to dine outdoors.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This resort perches on the cliffs not far from Long Beach with stunning views out over the Pacific. It's a big place and the cliff paths are great for running or walking. There is a little sandy beach in a nearby cove but it looks man-made and the sand doesn't go right down to the water - switches over to rocks. You could still go into the water if you wanted but I was happy to use one of the four pools on the property. The standard rooms are roomy and clean with all of the amenities you might expect - in-room Keurig, fridge, nice bathroom products - and each has a balcony.

We ate all our meals at different restaurants at the resort and overall the food was excellent. Service from all the staff was quick and very pleasant - the night manager lady was particularly warm and welcoming, which was really nice. I really wish I'd decided to stay an extra day as it is a truly beautiful place. It's expensive, so I'm not sure if I'd come back unless it was part of another business meeting or they offered a deal. Overall a really pleasant experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2014

One of the most picturesque properties I've ever stayed at -- gorgeous landscaping, nature trails, ocean bluffs. The weather in SoCal is typically awesome anyway, and this resort takes full advantage. It's huge, and somewhat spread out, but there are amenities too many to mention, and a new photo op around every corner. It has a relaxed elegance that I've seen only a few other places.

Service was fine, although instead of offering champagne upon check-in (or water, your choice), I'd allocate some of those budget $$ to higher quality t.p. -- it's two-ply but not of the quality I would expect for the rates this place charges. The only other drawback were the standard rooms. I had a double which was very comfortable and clean but the décor almost reminded me of a beach hotel, with seashell light fixtures. Just kind of plain, though the bathrooms are very spacious. Room had mini fridge which was great, and the hotel has a complimentary shuttle that runs within 5 mile radius of hotel, so you can get a few groceries if needed.

Room service prices are normal for 5-star property -- there are a range of dining options on property also. For those with deep pockets, there are activities available including horseback riding, kayaking, and falconry (yes, falconry). The fitness center was very good and it was nice having different pools to choose from.

Would definitely stay again on someone else's dime, but with rates over $450/night I just could not justify it on my own. For those with money to burn, get a villa or a suite...the standard rooms are just nothing special.

Oh, for those interested, taxi is about $70, and airport shuttle is about $30.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelPics825
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The location and views are beautiful, comparable to Montage in Laguna. However, the prices are also similar to the Montage, through the service, level of attention by the staff, and food quality are not comparable. At $600-700 a night, this place is way overpriced. I really like this place, but it is more like a $400/nt hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 22 July 2014

When I'm booking a standard room at $600 a night, Im expecting 5 star service. The service was closer to 2 star than 5 star, which would be OK if I was not paying $1,300 for two nights in a 450 sq ft room. Never once did I wait LESS than 20 minutes to be seated at a restaurant. When I had booked I had requested reservations and I was told I only needed reservations for Mar'sel, they're fine dining restaurant. When I checked in they told me the same thing. 45 minutes later, I walk into Catalina restaurant and was told the wait was 30-45 minutes. STRIKE ONE. Next morning, breakfast at 10AM, 20 minute wait, STRIKE TWO. My wife and I have have spa treatments and come back to the pool at 5:20PM. My wife orders a salad and the waiter tells us the chef left early (the cafe closes at 6PM.). The chef leaves early on a Saturday Afternoon in the middle of summer season!?! "Yea, I know, that's weird" says the waiter. Real classy response. STRIKE THREE. Now we have to leave the pool to go eat, STRIKE FOUR. We go to the nearest restaurant from the Spa, Nelson's Bar. 25 minute wait, Strike FIVE. Made reservations that night at Mar'sel for dinner for 8PM. They make us wait 25 MINUTES! With a reservation! STRIKE SIX. Breakfast the next morning before we check out, 20 minute wait, STRIKE SEVEN. We checked out and left without eating. Emailed the Spa Coordinator that same day to let her know that their chefs leave work early and that we couldn't continue our stay at the Spa, no response 48 hours later. STRIKE EIGHT!! This place is a DISASTER

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Leon R
Jessie B, Public Relations Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Leon R.,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience was disappointing. Please accept our apologies and know that the service you describe is not typical. We have sent your review to the hotel management team to review. If you can a provide a method to contact you either through a direct message or email to (terraneasocial (at) destinationhotels .com), we would like to personally follow up regarding your stay. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Casa del Mar
Casa del Mar
#4 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!